U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,331,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
To get people to work/live in north jersey/ NYC they're going to have to pay a premium, not a slight increase. An increased wage cost of a billion a year is massive and Amazon has very thin profit margins when it makes any. In my opinion it would be a huge mistake.
They already shell out $25.7 billion to their Seattle HQ1 employees as it is (page #3). That's by no means cheap for them. They largely seem to know what they're doing, they wouldn't be pursuing HQ2 if they had any hesitation about annual salaries.

In either event, whatever salary they roll out for HQ2, their bottomline is to maximize the talent base to get the best results possible and the highest potential returns possible from the ingenuity of the labor force (in other words, they probably wouldn't mind paying the premium for talent if they have to do that). That in and of itself will pay for itself over time as it is. No price is too high for having a massive talent pool and Greater New York (either the city or its suburbs in N.J.) would provide that en masse.

New Jersey's incentives are pretty legit as it is, it allows Amazon to maximize them with as limitless of a possibility as it can. They actually have a clause that states that Amazon has the authority to sell off chunks of it to anyone they want. It's really quite impressive in a disgusting corporate welfare sort of way IMO.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-17-2017 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM

46 posts, read 28,581 times
Yeah, why isn't Denver on the poll? I think Denver would be and awesome choice, but I suspect, Amazon would prefer to chose the Baltimore - DC corridor. Baltimore's real estate is a lot more affordable than DC's, but it's not too far away. Amazon would be a welcome "savior" to that struggling city, and there are still large blighted areas that Amazon could easily build a campus upon. There is already a large population of highly educated tech workers in the region & it would provide Amazon with an East Coast base. The DC area has good public transit options and is well connected to Philly and NYC, and, of course, the world.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:26 AM

5,084 posts, read 4,111,781 times
Other

Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 AM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Old Kodaker's are not sitting around with knives sharpening their skillsets; they're driving truck, living someplace else (North Carolina?), or doing whatever. Kodak is officially and literally dispersed. Xerox workers are still around to some extent, but I know many that are moving or moving on. But it's not like that's a real resourcing strategy for Amazon... There is some accessible talent pool, but it's small compared to larger cities. Good jobs are motivators, but a six hour proximity to the East Coast isn't exactly an incentive for East Coasters. I don't know, I don't see it. But I also don't see many other cities on the list being real possibilities either. Jersey's $7B is stupid money.
When I went to RIT lists of kids from Bucks County, Westchester or NNJ would go home on a normal weekends (and basically all of them on long weekends) being able to visit friends/Family regularly absolutely is a big deal to people.

As well as lots of Kodak/Xerox talent hung around for the Universities and smaller startups that spring from those companies.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,335,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
When I went to RIT lists of kids from Bucks County, Westchester or NNJ would go home on a normal weekends (and basically all of them on long weekends) being able to visit friends/Family regularly absolutely is a big deal to people.

As well as lots of Kodak/Xerox talent hung around for the Universities and smaller startups that spring from those companies.
That's fine. A four year temporary situation (or 5 for RIT) and being able to visit family is one thing. How many people want to move permanently to a much smaller city in a snowy climate? I realize we cannot answer this because everyone is different. I don't think that's a selling point for Amazon in reality.

And yes, I know many smaller start-ups and MANY Kodakers having grown up in Rochester for 27 years. But that is a ways behind us now. Those that were part of Kodak are pretty much dispersed at this point. Some of the affluence and institutions from the Kodak era are still around, but Kodakers are mostly either retired, moved on, or have children that are doing something different. My main point being that Amazon isn't salivating at the potential talent from the fall-out of Kodak.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times
San Jose is offering zero tax incentives. Mayor Liccardo actually sounds indifferent.

Quote:
“We have the capacity,” Liccardo told the Silicon Valley Business Journal. “That being said… [Amazon] already [has] significant investment in Silicon Valley, and they are here downtown. I expect they will continue to grow here and we will be happy to continue to support their growth whether we get their headquarters campus or not. I just don’t think that is the critical path for San Jose’s economic development future.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...ty-growth.html

Also, San Jose is currently in negotiation with Google to open a massive 6 million sq ft campus in downtown which will include 20,000 employees. There is already serious community outcry over the displacement of middle and lower class residents that project is sure to cause.

Also, Microsoft( Seattle's other tech giant) which also already has a huge Bay Area presence just bought a large 65-acre parcel in North San Jose on which they plan on building another campus.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
Minnesota is only offering $3 million from existing programs in terms of sweeteners.

Minnesota plans a 'modest' bid in high-stakes Amazon battle - StarTribune.com

Amazon probably isn't coming to Minneapolis. The state isn't going to throw massive subsidies at them. It isn't generally something that Minnesota does to lure businesses.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
^That's as expected. SV is the one region that has the most talent that Amazon would be seeking and would see the least impact (both good and bad) from HQ2. If there's one area that does not need to get in a bidding war it is them.

(Edit: obviously my post was in response to 18montclair)

Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 AM

831 posts, read 934,304 times
Toronto has stated that it's presentation will be unveiled in a few days.

Ontario clearly stated that the idea will not include and financial incentives except for training and education. In other words, no government handouts as the city & province are relying on Toronto's solid strengths..........an educated workforce, excellent research universities, nearby Waterloo tech hub, liveability, ability to easily get international workers, excellent K to 12 schools, cheaper healthcare costs, due to government system, 2nd largest International arrive/depart in NA, corporate tax rate 40% lower than US, and the dollar subsidy and slightly lower wages where hiring an employee will cost 25% less than any US city. That's a massive subsidy year after year and not a one-time deal.

Toronto did get a high-tech boost just yesterday where Sidewalk Labs {a Google sister city} is building a new development area at Toronto's Waterfront which is where Amazon would be expected to set up.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:12 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,335,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
San Jose is offering zero tax incentives. Mayor Liccardo actually sounds indifferent.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...ty-growth.html

Also, San Jose is currently in negotiation with Google to open a massive 6 million sq ft campus in downtown which will include 20,000 employees. There is already serious community outcry over the displacement of middle and lower class residents that project is sure to cause.

Also, Microsoft( Seattle's other tech giant) which also already has a huge Bay Area presence just bought a large 65-acre parcel in North San Jose on which they plan on building another campus.
This is what it sounds like when a city has a strong economy. So much of America does not. Bad politics, debt, and desperation are driving poor business tax structures and [what should be illegal] bribes to companies to choose a state or city. Good for San Jose. I just wish the rest of America could say the same thing to a company looking for corporate welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or