U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 PM

13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times

Advertisements

Amazon Second Headquarters: Atlanta Early Favorite for HQ2

Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM

5,582 posts, read 3,719,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hmm. Very interesting, but the sourcing is not clear. (I guess it really doesn't have to be in this race)...but for the most part, they have much of it correct. They got 1 of the cities in the top 5 absolutely correct, and one in the top 10 absolutely correct. As for "Hotlanta", don't think so, but they should definitely be considered. The Canadian cities listed are there for show as the odds are quite bad.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,565,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
In many ways I like the idea of going to a Rust Belt city and being part of a rejuvenation. That said, the only 2 rust belt cities that would qualify on the transit front are Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St.Louis, and Cleveland.

The real concern here for Amazon is the ability to get and retain the highly skilled workforce. These are highly skilled and highly sought after employees who can get a job anywhere, anytime they feel like. All the bribes in the world {aka NJ} and cheap land means squat if they can't get the workers. The notion of asking such workers to move to such high crime cities {less so Pittsburgh} seems almost comical. This is what Chicago and Philly also have to overcome. This is why I don't think they will get it. Chicago routinely has more murders every year than all of Canada. They are up against cities like Toronto which was recently rated as the world's 4th safest major city and the safest in NA. If you were a skilled worker which would you pick and which environment would you rather raise your kids in?

Cost of living, good schools, and airports are all come into play but they will be secondary as the primary concern for Amazon will be the city's ability to draw and maintain these workers.
Honestly, winters are a bigger deterrent then major crime. Major crime is HGHLY SEGREGATEDin many US cities as are some cities by races (just the way it still is).

These are HIGH-END employees making $100,000+. They can choose EXTREMELY SAFE PRICEY SUBURBS with mass transit to the Cores and HIGHEST Sought-after in the city-core or near-core HIGH-END AREAS. Their choice as they surely know 100s of thousands do and boast of LOVING THEIR CITIES or big home suburbs. Chicago also offers much in HIGH-END Skyscraper living if they so desire it and Philly has some surely too.

Amazon will choose a Canadian city IF immigrant or tax advantage is great enough. I say wait for the short-list of cities now. I'm batting for a Midwest or at least Northern US city. But still the Sunbelt US has as big draw today.... including some in taxes.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,795,828 times
Overseas... in order to avoid the highest corporate tax rate in the first world.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Overseas... in order to avoid the highest corporate tax rate in the first world.
Corporate taxes are extremely difficult and very little understood though. The official rate is the highest in the first world - the amount paid is normally less than half of that because of deductions and appeals and filings.

The average large corporation pays between 10% and 20% in taxes, regardless of the official 35% rate.

The new proposal is to reduce the rate from 35% to 20%, assuming they get rid of all the loopholes and deductions, etc - the amount paid probably won't change and either way American corporations do NOT pay the most of first world countries.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
In many ways I like the idea of going to a Rust Belt city and being part of a rejuvenation. That said, the only 2 rust belt cities that would qualify on the transit front are Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St.Louis, and Cleveland.

The real concern here for Amazon is the ability to get and retain the highly skilled workforce. These are highly skilled and highly sought after employees who can get a job anywhere, anytime they feel like. All the bribes in the world {aka NJ} and cheap land means squat if they can't get the workers. The notion of asking such workers to move to such high crime cities {less so Pittsburgh} seems almost comical. This is what Chicago and Philly also have to overcome. This is why I don't think they will get it. Chicago routinely has more murders every year than all of Canada. They are up against cities like Toronto which was recently rated as the world's 4th safest major city and the safest in NA. If you were a skilled worker which would you pick and which environment would you rather raise your kids in?

Cost of living, good schools, and airports are all come into play but they will be secondary as the primary concern for Amazon will be the city's ability to draw and maintain these workers.
Well these cities are hundreds of square miles with highly concentrated areas of violence. There's NO WAY Amazon would go build their headquarters out in the middle of the ghetto. It's so far from anywhere else, there would be no skilled workers and crime would be crazy.

They would build in the obvious spot, the spots where hundreds of other corporations have their offices, millions of people visit weekly, hundreds of thousands of highly skilled, high income workers go and live on a daily basis with no issues. The main central business areas of the city. Chicago's downtown has gained almost 100,000 workers since 2010. There are have been tens of thousands of new high-end residential areas going up, billions in investment and over 50 corporate relocations.

Crime is a huge concern in Chicago, and I'm sure Philadelphia - but at least for this specific scenario and situation - its one that isn't really relevant regarding Amazon coming to either of these cities.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well these cities are hundreds of square miles with highly concentrated areas of violence. There's NO WAY Amazon would go build their headquarters out in the middle of the ghetto. It's so far from anywhere else, there would be no skilled workers and crime would be crazy.
Amazon's presence would probably reshape any inner city neighborhood...similar to a gentrification atom bomb. Cities would improve infrastructure in the surrounding areas and developers would line up to build housing near the new campus. Restaurants and other businesses would sprout up to cater to Amazon's workforce.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,240,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Any list that specifically excludes Denver and Chicago ( especially given the strength of Chicago's bid ) is a non-starter and cannot be credible.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:19 PM

6,634 posts, read 8,340,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Quite frankly I dont see how Austin tops Chicago( such STUNNING proposals and $2.5B in incentives) if we look at Amazon's own criteria. At all.
I would also like to see them in Chicago. Not because I care for Amazon or even the jobs they'd bring to a region. I'd like to see it there to see the supertall. That particular design, as you note, is definitely stunning and it would replace Willis as the tallest building in all of Chicago and likely second in all of America. I'd want that for Chicago and if Amazon has to be the golden goose that brings it then more power to them. Hopefully if Amazon did choose Chicago and did choose that site, hopefully they don't cheapen the design to a boring rectangular prism or something (Amazon is cheap).

My brain tells me that this is going to Boston, however, which is my frontrunner choice to get this. Checks every box and is in great condition with regards to its credit rating and fiscal outlook. Only actual concern would be whether or not Boston can handle absorbing something of this magnitude but that's likely a non-issue.

Speaking of Amazon, this is what Jenny Durkan, the Mayor of the City of Seattle has to say about HQ2:
Quote:
I saw they’ve got a map up on the wall now at Amazon of all the cities that want them, and part of it breaks my heart. We’ve got these challenges, there’s no question Seattle has grown too fast. I feel like saying to everyone, I did this in a forum, everybody who thinks you just would like to pause for a minute, we’ve grown too fast, raise your hand, and pretty much everybody raised their hand, and then I said, keep your hand up if you’re from here and were born here, and almost every hand went down. We’re a city that has grown from people coming here. I’m a rare commodity, being born and raised here.

And so I think it’s wrong for us to say, “We’re going to roll up the welcome mat, we’re going to quit growing, we’re not going to be that city that invents the next future.” Yeah, we’ve got these problems. Affordability is really palpable, there’s people in this city that are struggling — struggling! — and economic disparity is truth, we’ve got to get more economic empowerment particularly in South Seattle.

But at the same time, if we face those problems, I think companies will still grow here, want to stay here, want to come here, because Seattle in my view still is the coolest city there is, I don’t care what anybody says.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/seattl...-breaks-heart/
This whole HQ2 process has left Seattle taking hit after hit by various news media sources that have speculated a ton about the city's strain to fill positions, supposedly acrimonious relationship with Amazon,
and the lack of big city market size and pull.

I'd imagine from the perspective of the city leaders that it must suck to have to sit back and watch this HQ2 thing unfold while being nothing more than typical bystanders.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Any list that specifically excludes Denver and Chicago ( especially given the strength of Chicago's bid ) is a non-starter and cannot be credible.
The article actually addressed the omission of those two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or