U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:22 PM

5,552 posts, read 3,707,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I would also like to see them in Chicago. Not because I care for Amazon or even the jobs they'd bring to a region. I'd like to see it there to see the supertall. That particular design, as you note, is definitely stunning and it would replace Willis as the tallest building in all of Chicago and likely second in all of America. I'd want that for Chicago and if Amazon has to be the golden goose that brings it then more power to them. Hopefully if Amazon did choose Chicago and did choose that site, hopefully they don't cheapen the design to a boring rectangular prism or something (Amazon is cheap).

My brain tells me that this is going to Boston, however, which is my frontrunner choice to get this. Checks every box and is in great condition with regards to its credit rating and fiscal outlook. Only actual concern would be whether or not Boston can handle absorbing something of this magnitude but that's likely a non-issue.

Speaking of Amazon, this is what Jenny Durkan, the Mayor of the City of Seattle has to say about HQ2:

This whole HQ2 process has left Seattle taking hit after hit by various news media sources that have speculated a ton about the city's strain to fill positions, supposedly acrimonious relationship with Amazon,
and the lack of big city market size and pull.

I'd imagine from the perspective of the city leaders that it must suck to have to sit back and watch this HQ2 thing unfold while being nothing more than typical bystanders.
Seattle has its big boy pants on and likely is not overly concerned over HQ2. Amazon's investment in Seattle continues to be very strong, with not only three new high-rises built in the past several years, but also leasing huge amounts of space in the under construction Rainier Square, to become the 2nd tallest in Seattle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainier_Square_Tower

Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,331,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle has its big boy pants on and likely is not overly concerned over HQ2. Amazon's investment in Seattle continues to be very strong, with not only three new high-rises built in the past several years, but also leasing huge amounts of space in the under construction Rainier Square, to become the 2nd tallest in Seattle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainier_Square_Tower
Yes and I get all of that, I've seen that they're doing further expansions into Seattle and increasing their workforce there. I'm not doubting their current investment in Seattle at all.

I suppose my inquiry really is this: why are they even doing HQ2 away from Seattle? Why not just add 50,000 more jobs on top of the 60,000 they already have and keep all their operations consolidated in just the Greater Seattle Region?

I don't understand the need to hunt out a location for a second headquarters. You seem to be more plugged into this than I am, so perhaps you could explain their train of thought to me.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yes and I get all of that, I've seen that they're doing further expansions into Seattle and increasing their workforce there. I'm not doubting their current investment in Seattle at all.

I suppose my inquiry really is this: why are they even doing HQ2 away from Seattle? Why not just add 50,000 more jobs on top of the 60,000 they already have and keep all their operations consolidated in just the Greater Seattle Region?

I don't understand the need to hunt out a location for a second headquarters. You seem to be more plugged into this than I am, so perhaps you could explain their train of thought to me.
I am certainly not a spokesperson for Amazon, I think that has been established. Nor do I have any "real" inside information. However, I do know some principles involved and that may or may not count for much.

That being said, here is my answer to your question...

Seattle is a large metro in the US, but is somewhat limited by geography. The Amazon growth has been, and continues to be huge in the city, but there comes a point when a company is just too gigantic to operate out of one metro. I truly believe Amazon still loves Seattle, but being as big as they are and will be in the future, they need a 2nd option. Not a replacement option, just a 2nd option.

I don't know if you have ever been to Seattle, but it doesn't really matter. The cost of living has exploded and many in the area blame (or credit) Amazon. Don't know if either is really true, but what is accurate is Amazon has changed the face of the city. This all comes back to the point that Amazon is too big to fail, and they are expanding to a HQ2 as insurance for this not to happen.

I will not use this post to advance my picks. They are already documented on here, beginning on page 19. Let's just say this will be one of the most watched announcements in recent US commerce history.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-25-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 07:48 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
Also, it's getting more and more difficult to add capacity in greater Downtown. Going from 8 msf to 12 (per media; current projects get close to that?) to maybe 15 would be easy, but what about 20 msf? Land costs are frequently in the four figures per square foot, multiples of some of our peer cities. Land large enough for major office towers is getting rare, and it's all competing with residential demand which is just as voracious.

And it seems to be about access to the best and brightest. Not everybody will move to Seattle. And that's a worse problem in the mid-career positions where larger housing is more important.

It's not a slam on Seattle. In addition to Rainier Square they've broken ground on two other towers totaling 1.9 msf in the past year alone, including one that started shoring last month. Those are towers that they own.

Seattle benefits from the same approach by San Francisco companies. The South Lake Union area on the north fringe of Downtown has five tower cranes for new offices by Facebook and Google, both already major employers.

Durkan might be a worthy mayor candidate, and her statement is fine...it's useful (several reasons) to use this time to think about how we treat our top employers (like golden geese who oughta pay for the privilege vs. sources of prosperity) even if that's not the main signal they're sending.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:

Why do any companies expand?

Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why do any companies expand?
Exactly. Does Ford produce all their products in Michigan? Nope. Does Boeing produce all their products in the Seattle area? Nope. Does Toyota and Nissan produce all their products in Japan? Nope. And does Facebook and Google produce all their products in Silicon Valley? Nope.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:55 AM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Quote:

You expand your labor pool if you are in more places. That's why Google and Amazon have offices in Cambridge. The vast majority of people don't move too far from home. By moving to Atlanta or Boston or Chicago they are unlocking a whole new region of talent. Plus being in the Eastern or Central Time Zone would lend itself to easier interaction with Europe due to the time difference being only 5/6 not 8 hours.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:51 AM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times
Quote:
Exactly. Does Ford produce all their products in Michigan? Nope. Does Boeing produce all their products in the Seattle area? Nope. Does Toyota and Nissan produce all their products in Japan? Nope. And does Facebook and Google produce all their products in Silicon Valley? Nope.
Which is why I have long suspected that this 'HQ2' concept is total make believe. It's just a (brilliant) ploy for massive tax incentives. Seattle will remain the actual HQ, and the other place will be a really fancy back office.

Well played Amazon.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yep. Increase that geo footprint, even in a digital world. No reason to only be in one market.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Which is why I have long suspected that this 'HQ2' concept is total make believe. It's just a (brilliant) ploy for massive tax incentives. Seattle will remain the actual HQ, and the other place will be a really fancy back office.

Well played Amazon.
Seattle will always be home. But 50,000 employees is impactful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or