U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why do any companies expand?
Yes but how many of those companies go about "expansions" by conducting an open field competition across that continent in search of a location for a second headquarters, which by full build-out would be a "full equal" to its original headquarters?

Take your time with that. It's one of those "dig deeper beneath the surface" ones.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Nor do I have any "real" inside information. However, I do know some principles involved and that may or may not count for much.
Never stated that you're an inside source. I asked you specifically because, unlike me, you actually live in the Pacific Northwest and have a better understanding of Seattle and Amazon's history together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I don't know if you have ever been to Seattle, but it doesn't really matter.
No, in the context of this discussion it doesn't really matter, but I've been to Seattle three times. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Yes but how many of those companies go about "expansions" by conducting an open field competition across that continent in search of a location for a second headquarters, which by full build-out would be a "full equal" to its original headquarters?

Take your time with that. It's one of those "dig deeper beneath the surface" ones.
Isn't it just as likely they would be leaving Seattle then?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:

How many companies are Amazon? Do you think every company already knows where they're going to go? Hey we're going to Minneapolis or Austin.

I think this is great. "we're about to bring 50,000 6 figure jobs to your area. Tell us why we should choose you."

What's wrong with that?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
How many companies are Amazon?
No, that's not what you said. Now you're changing the discussion probably because you cant find an answer to my question.

You said this:
Quote:
Why do any companies expand?
You brought up other companies by suggesting "any companies" expand. You were the one that tried to play this off like its common for a company to do this when expanding. When I suggested other companies don't do this then you backtrack to "how many companies are Amazon?".

Old 10-26-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
No, that's not what you said. Now you're changing the discussion.

You said this:

You brought up other companies by suggesting "any companies" expand. When I suggested other companies don't do this then you backtrack to "how many companies are Amazon?".
Other companies don't publically ask for bids? They can't. They're not Amazon. Maybe they like publicity?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Other companies don't publically ask for bids? They can't. They're not Amazon. Maybe they like publicity?
Again, I think you're dodging my question.

Here's the question again:

How many of those companies go about "expansions" by conducting an open field competition across that continent in search of a location for a second headquarters, which by full build-out would be a "full equal" to its original headquarters?

Zero. In other words, this isn't really a standard expansion. Your premise that suggests this is common for companies when they expand is quite off. This is the creation of a full second headquarters. For instance, this is not the same thing as Facebook stating that they are opening a sizable office in (insert city name here). This is the creation of a full second headquarters.

If Amazon were a company based out of New York, Chicago, or San Francisco (or Washington D.C. and Toronto), I am not sure that they would be here looking for a second headquarters. There would be no need for it IMO.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-26-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Former Amazon Vice President of Relational Database Services:
Quote:
Cities that think Amazon will make its decision based on short-term incentives — and 10 years is short-term for Amazon — are sadly mistaken. Incentives are going to be a tie-breaker, not the primary driver of a decision.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/amaz...uber-test.html
If true that should be pretty decent news to places like Denver, Austin, San Francisco, Toronto, and New York -- all of whom are either offering no local city-based incentives at all (Austin) or offering a small sum of it (the others). If true, that could give their bids all the life it needs.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,080,340 times
Quote:
Former Amazon Vice President of Relational Database Services:

If true that should be pretty decent news to places like Denver, Austin, San Francisco, Toronto, and New York -- all of whom are either offering no local city-based incentives at all (Austin) or offering a small sum of it (the others). If true, that could give their bids all the life it needs.
Not surprised - I mentioned on some therad on here (not this one, i think one in the philly forum) that if i was bezos, I would ask if detroit would be willing to carte blanche give me regulatory authority to experiment wahtever I wanted in a real world setting. drones, ai, automated robotics, alexa weaved into every nook and cranny of the city's infrastructure.

that's worth more than billions in sweeteners.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Again, I think you're dodging my question.

Here's the question again:

How many of those companies go about "expansions" by conducting an open field competition across that continent in search of a location for a second headquarters, which by full build-out would be a "full equal" to its original headquarters?

Zero. In other words, this isn't really a standard expansion. Your premise that suggests this is common for companies when they expand is quite off. This is the creation of a full second headquarters. For instance, this is not the same thing as Facebook stating that they are opening a sizable office in (insert city name here). This is the creation of a full second headquarters.

If Amazon were a company based out of New York, Chicago, or San Francisco (or Washington D.C. and Toronto), I am not sure that they would be here looking for a second headquarters. There would be no need for it IMO.
So Amazon is ambitious? Is that what you're saying. Well, yes, they are. They are very different. I think they are an integral part of Seattle but they want an anchor elsewhere. Probably not an indictment on Seattle, but what's wrong with having a second hq?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or