U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 04:49 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,801,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So Amazon is ambitious? Is that what you're saying. Well, yes, they are. They are very different. I think they are an integral part of Seattle but they want an anchor elsewhere. Probably not an indictment on Seattle, but what's wrong with having a second hq?
Because it’s hard for me to understand the strutural model that maximizes Amazon’s business by creating two separate but equal HQs. What business efficiencies are created with a 2nd HQ? Normally, the more office space a business has, the more overhead a business carries.

Further, even in this era of virtual working, CEOs still prefer to have their key leaders available for face-time meetings. Those key leaders in turn want face-time with their lieutenants, and so on. At which level in the pecking order is a position unimportant enough to be located away from the “power HQ”?

Speaking of which, Seattle will of course be the primary HQ because unless we’re surprised, Bezos will still be there. Wherever he is, it’s the “real” HQ. I could see HQ2 to be the primary home of ancillary services such as Finance, Tax, IT, Payroll and others, possibly including Logistics. Time will tell.

I am open to be completely wrong about this, and if so, I look forward to seeing how Amazon can be the first major company I’m aware that runs itself from two separate but truly equal HQs.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-26-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 05:56 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Because it’s hard for me to understand the strutural model that maximizes Amazon’s business by creating two separate but equal HQs. What business efficiencies are created with a 2nd HQ? Normally, the more office space a business has, the more overhead a business carries.

Further, even in this era of virtual working, CEOs still prefer to have their key leaders available for face-time meetings. Those key leaders in turn want face-time with their lieutenants, and so on. At which level in the pecking order is a position unimportant enough to be located away from the “power HQ”?

Speaking of which, Seattle will of course be the primary HQ because unless we’re surprised, Bezos will still be there. Wherever he is, it’s the “real” HQ. I could see HQ2 to be the primary home of ancillary services such as Finance, Tax, IT, Payroll and others, possibly including Logistics. Time will tell.

I am open to be completely wrong about this, and if so, I look forward to seeing how Amazon can be the first major company I’m aware that runs itself from two separate but truly equal HQs.
Well GE runs like that, each part of the company (eg. GE aviation) has its own HQ. Its actual HQ in Boston will be relatively small compared to the company. Amazon is in 2 distinct businesses, online retail and the media business. I can see one HQ dealing with each.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:04 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Quote:
So Amazon is ambitious? Is that what you're saying.
No, don't know where that idea comes from.
Quote:
but what's wrong with having a second hq?
In theory nothing but the rare few companies that actually have two headquarters struggle to establish equality between them. One always has more pull than the other.

I only know of three other companies in the U.S. that have dual headquarters, one in Ohio, one in New York, and one in Texas. The Texas one, for example, is Halliburton, which has dual headquarters of Houston and Dubai. They split the designation as "de facto" for Houston and "de jure" for Dubai. That means that the Houston one is the real headquarter where the crucial decisions are made and capital inflow is strong and the operations are largely managed there, whereas the Dubai one is generally used to monitor and consult project managers on the overseas activities in the Middle-East.

Amazon is a very large company and encompasses many activities and operations and subbranches, all of which are compartmentalized into the broader company known as "Amazon". If they go through with their dual headquarter route then it would be interesting to see which divisions fall under which headquarters. For instance, they could choose to keep AWS in Seattle since the workforce with dealing with cloud computing, storage, and programming are stronger in Seattle but choose to move Alexa and Echo to the HQ2, Boston. They could keep further splitting responsibilities and oversight since Amazon has its hands in a lot of different ventures, projects, and industries.

The other option for dual headquarters is that both headquarters oversee the same things and the second headquarters is essentially just used to diversify decisions and judgments, however this model rarely has success as one headquarter would still have more authority and pull than the other.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well GE runs like that, each part of the company (eg. GE aviation) has its own HQ. Its actual HQ in Boston will be relatively small compared to the company. Amazon is in 2 distinct businesses, online retail and the media business. I can see one HQ dealing with each.
It’s not unusual for business divisions to have their own HQs, but they are ultimately run from the true HQ. Comcast has NBCUniversal based in NYC, but final decisions on important matters are run through Philadelphia, just as GE’s final authority is Boston, as long as the CEO offices there.

Some CEOs give their subordinates a longer leash than others. We will eventually learn how Bezos plans to split the workload.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:23 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

This assumes they would be separate but equal. I m not sure I believe that will be the case. Maybe for some facets of business. But not sure will ever be separate and equal

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,367,272 times
Quote:
Other companies don't publically ask for bids? They can't. They're not Amazon. Maybe they like publicity?
Actually, Boeing did the same thing in a very reduced sense. They had already narrowed it down to Dallas, Denver, and Chicago but asked each of those cities to submit bids.

I think Amazon could have vetted out clearly ineligible cities by wording the RFP a little more strongly but in a general sense what they’re doing isn’t revolutionary or particularly new. What is revolutionary is the magnitude.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Actually, Boeing did the same thing in a very reduced sense. They had already narrowed it down to Dallas, Denver, and Chicago but asked each of those cities to submit bids.

I think Amazon could have vetted out clearly ineligible cities by wording the RFP a little more strongly but in a general sense what they’re doing isn’t revolutionary or particularly new. What is revolutionary is the magnitude.
Well put. And its 2017, times have changed and Amazon is one of a kind.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This assumes they would be separate but equal. I m not sure I believe that will be the case. Maybe for some facets of business. But not sure will ever be separate and equal
I’m just going by what The Man said: ”We expect HQ2 [the name Amazon is using] to be a full equal to our Seattle headquarters,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO, in a statement.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/am...al-to-seattle/

Old 10-26-2017, 10:24 PM

4,484 posts, read 2,666,302 times
Maybe it'll be equal in stature in 20 years but just not as large.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 PM

474 posts, read 273,093 times
Nice publicity campaign for Amazon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or