U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Just for fun here are my odds as of 11/1/17:

Atlanta 10/1
Dallas/Ft. Worth 6/1
DC/suburbs 4/1
Austin 3/1

Is Vegas offering this bet anywhere?
And Chicago? Too low to matter?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,990,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure why you keep harping on this point when this is simply not true about the downtown areas of Chicago and Philly. You may not know this as a Canadian, but in many U.S. cities, a lot of crime tends to be concentrated in certain neighborhoods or parts of town and not spread equally throughout the city.
A fellow BCer I met was astonished when I said that Chicago is a tale of two cities. The Downtown area of Chicago is like Disney World, very safe and appealing to tourists. Go south for more than a couple of miles and it's one of the most crime-ridden areas of the U.S. But the two never meet, considering the historical self-selection legacy from the segregation era.

But Mutiny, Vancouver is famous for Hastings Street and the only place in North America that administers heroin to addicts in a safe, clean, and comfortable clinic.

I had driven by a public housing project in Scarborough (Toronto) and remarked how well-kept it was. Scarborough looked nice and tidy (by American standards) that I didn't realize that there were more affluent areas than this in the Greater Toronto Area during my brief visit with a relative a few years ago. That might explain the disconnect between Americans and Canadians talking about this type of issue.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:38 PM

5,534 posts, read 3,686,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
And Chicago? Too low to matter?
This is just my opinion. I have Chicago outside these odds. Reasons: the crime issue, lack of a younger educated population. Again, just IMO. (And I lived in the Chicago area previously and understand the crime issue is not city-wide.)

Chicago is a great city. I love the architecture and the general boldness of this city. I just don't think it is a good fit for Amazon. I could be wrong, but while it does meet many parameters they are looking for, it doesn't meet the micro-parameters they are looking for. (tax-friendly, bike-friendly, pedestrian-friendly, tech-friendly).

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-03-2017 at 12:34 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 07:44 AM

2,151 posts, read 2,661,378 times
Quote:
This is just my opinion. I have Chicago outside these odds. Reasons: the crime issue, lack of a younger educated population. Again, just IMO. (And I lived in the Chicago area previously and understand the crime issue is not city-wide.)

Chicago is a great city. I love the architecture and the general boldness of this city. I just don't think it is a good fit for Amazon. I could be wrong, but while it does meet many parameters they are looking for, it doesn't meet the micro-parameters they are looking for. (tax-friendly, bike-friendly, pedestrian-friendly, tech-friendly).

I tend to think Chicago is in "group 2". It has everything Amazon is looking for, and then some. It also has Illinois debt and the crime thing, which will hurt its chances. It will be interesting.
As far as your parenthetical though, what would make you think Chicago is not bike- and pedestrian-friendly? It's one of the top urban environments in both categories. Too big? I also would not refer to Chicago as tech unfriendly. That's a bit of a worn-out myth.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:

? Doesn't the city of Chicago have one of the largest and fastest growing population of young educated people with college degrees? I keep seeing it pop up in all these articles.

Quote:
According to American Community Survey data compiled by Zotti, the share of Chicagoans over age 25 with bachelor's degrees or higher leapt from 29.3 percent in 2006 to 38.5 percent last year, with the increase particularly strong since 2011. That hike was larger than any of the country's four other most-populous cities—New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Philadelphia—and more than twice the 4.3 percent national increase.

Stunningly, a greater share of adults in once-blue-collar Chicago now hold degrees—38.5 percent—than in New York (37 percent) or the U.S. as a whole (31.3 percent).

"This is an aging industrial city. To have it as the most educated city in the top five nationally is a remarkable development,"
Also isn't it one of the biggest bike friendly cities, especially the past few years when they've built hundreds of miles of protected and buffered lanes. At times I think they went a little crazy with the bike situation, there are paths and lanes everywhere now, although they seem to be used.

Quote:
This morning, Bicycling magazine named Chicago the best city for bicyclists in the U.S., beating out New York City, which placed first in the previous biennial ranking in 2014. In its 50 best bike cities rankings, the publication cited several major developments that contributed to Chicago's top spot, including Mayor Rahm Emanuel's completion of "100 miles of buffered and protected bike lanes," the forthcoming completion of the Loop Link transit project, which will make Chicago "the first major U.S. city with a downtown network of protected bike lanes" and the continued expansion of the Divvy bike-share program.
Business-wise city hall and the mayor have been going all-out the past few years to finally jump start Chicago's tech industry with all the new incentives and tech incubators cropping up all over downtown. It's probably one of the reasons they're pushing things like biking, etc so hard - to try and get what those workers theoretically want.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 AM

6,850 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
? Doesn't the city of Chicago have one of the largest and fastest growing population of young educated people with college degrees? I keep seeing it pop up in all these articles.

Also isn't it one of the biggest bike friendly cities, especially the past few years when they've built hundreds of miles of protected and buffered lanes. At times I think they went a little crazy with the bike situation, there are paths and lanes everywhere now, although they seem to be used.

Business-wise city hall and the mayor have been going all-out the past few years to finally jump start Chicago's tech industry with all the new incentives and tech incubators cropping up all over downtown. It's probably one of the reasons they're pushing things like biking, etc so hard - to try and get what those workers theoretically want.
I see Chicago as a top prospect. Beautiful walkable core. Excellent public transport. Great airport and transportation logistics. Large, educated millennial population. Access to midwestern universities. Good COL. World-class culture.

Weather could be a drawback, though I prefer too cold to too hot. I’d like to suggest anyone who sees Austin as the early favorite should stay there for the month of August.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM

499 posts, read 540,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I was going to post this as well. It's a nice indicator of where their white collar office jobs are, relevant because Amazon unlike most other "tech" companies it competes with has a massive number of workers in its blue collar facilities.

Here's something interesting with the internal aspects of this process via Atlanta:

The non-disclosure agreement has been a dividing point amongst cities that have submitted bids. Some have gone public and shared majority of the information of their bid with the general public, whereas others have conducted themselves in total secrecy due to the non-disclosure agreement they've agreed upon with Amazon. This explains why we haven't seen any information or details for the bids in states such as Georgia or Texas publicly.
Interesting post, I found this as well for Montgomery County, Maryland

Quote:
OCTOBER 16, 2017 | BY DOUGLAS TALLMAN
Previous
Next
COUNTY SENDING OFF ITS AMAZON PITCH THIS WEEK (VIDEO)

Montgomery County will provide very few details of its sales pitch to Amazon to bring its new headquarters to Montgomery County, a county spokesman said Monday afternoon.

“Basically they’ve asked for confidential proposal, which we’re delivering,” said Pat Lacefield, the county’s director of public information. “We don’t want to run the risk of disqualifying ourselves.”

Other jurisdictions have provided some details about their proposals. Baltimore, with support from Gov. Larry Hogan, is offering its Port Covington property as its site.

“Doing any of this in public doesn’t help our proposal one iota and it only hurts it,” Lacefield said. “We’re in a competition with other jurisdictions who have other sites and incentives. And Amazon wants to be looking at those things themselves, so why shouldn’t we give them what they want?”

Lacefield wouldn’t be specific about who had worked on the program.

“It’s a whole team effort, and we’re working with MCEDC with the other people and the state,” he said.

Amazon came up during County Council President Roger Berliner’s weekly meeting with the media.

“I can tell you that Montgomery County will have a very competitive bid,” Berliner said.

County Sending Off Its Amazon Pitch This Week (VIDEO) | Montgomery Community Media

Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 13,111,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
How are we defining educated young people? According to the 2016 ACS, Chicago has over 342,000 Bachelors Degree or higher educated people aged 18-34. Not sure how that could be considered lacking.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,005,567 times
Interesting news from the Boston Business Journal today.

Amazon interested in up to 1m sq ft of space in Boston's seaport district. This is separate of the HQ2 expansion decision that is ongoing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bosbizgre...88081208504320

Old 11-03-2017, 01:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,316 times
My order of probable Amazon HQ2 destinations:

1. Austin
2. Atlanta
3. Dallas
4. Chicago
5. Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or