U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 PM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,808 posts, read 1,300,740 times
Reputation: 3206

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Bingo. It would seem that the red politics of GA and TX would be one of those intangibles that any one with
any social conscience at Amazon might have a hard time with. Atlanta and Austin cannot just be islands in a sea of backwardness.
Idk, I think this is always overblown. Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are all blue cities. Fort Worth is the only "Red" large city in Texas, and they are more purple than straight red, they elected Wendy Davis for 2 terms after all.

The "Bathroom Bill" in Texas died, even with a majority Republican house and Senate.

California outside of the big cities is pretty red itself.

I think Amazon is smart enough to avoid the stereotypes that others might believe about TX.

 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29 PM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,808 posts, read 1,300,740 times
Reputation: 3206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Atlanta is the fav right now
Idk, I feel like Chicago, Philly and even New Jersey have an edge over Atlanta right now. Atlanta isn't part of BosWash so that hurts it. It also has income tax unlike Texas and has less deep tech talent than Dallas or Austin. Not that I think Dallas or Austin are favorites, but Atlanta is even more of a long shot.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM
 
1,020 posts, read 1,235,580 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Idk, I think this is always overblown. Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are all blue cities. Fort Worth is the only "Red" large city in Texas, and they are more purple than straight red, they elected Wendy Davis for 2 terms after all.

The "Bathroom Bill" in Texas died, even with a majority Republican house and Senate.

California outside of the big cities is pretty red itself.

I think Amazon is smart enough to avoid the stereotypes that others might believe about TX.
California is a very bad example, their legislation and legislature is nothing like GA and TXs, and even the red in CA is a different shade. Nobody thinks of Calif.as red, but GA and TX are Trump strongholds. Only Bezos knows for sure, but his politics seem alot different than those 2 states that are even capable of introducing the stuff that is introduced by each legislature in those states.
 
Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,287 posts, read 3,506,771 times
Reputation: 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Bingo. It would seem that the red politics of GA and TX would be one of those intangibles that any one with
any social conscience at Amazon might have a hard time with. Atlanta and Austin cannot just be islands in a sea of backwardness.
They aren't, and what a nice way to trash around 5 million Georgians in one fell swoop.
 
Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 AM
 
29,908 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Idk, I feel like Chicago, Philly and even New Jersey have an edge over Atlanta right now. Atlanta isn't part of BosWash so that hurts it. It also has income tax unlike Texas and has less deep tech talent than Dallas or Austin. Not that I think Dallas or Austin are favorites, but Atlanta is even more of a long shot.
You're definitely a homer to say that Atlanta is "more of a long shot" than Dallas and Austin. All things considered, they all have an equal chance at landing HQ2 more or less.
 
Old 11-12-2017, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,970 posts, read 4,343,026 times
Reputation: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Bingo. It would seem that the red politics of GA and TX would be one of those intangibles that any one with
any social conscience at Amazon might have a hard time with. Atlanta and Austin cannot just be islands in a sea of backwardness.
Austin isn't an island in a sea of backwardness. There are other cities in Texas that are diverse and progressive. Actually more diverse than Austin.
 
Old 11-13-2017, 04:14 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,364,811 times
Reputation: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
California is a very bad example, their legislation and legislature is nothing like GA and TXs, and even the red in CA is a different shade. Nobody thinks of Calif.as red, but GA and TX are Trump strongholds. Only Bezos knows for sure, but his politics seem alot different than those 2 states that are even capable of introducing the stuff that is introduced by each legislature in those states.
Yeah and the people at the top of these major tech companies, like Amazon, are usually elitist. I just don't see them going to the south to places like Atlanta or Dallas or anywhere in GA or TX in part because of the state's politics but I could be wrong.
 
Old 11-13-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Austin isn't an island in a sea of backwardness. There are other cities in Texas that are diverse and progressive. Actually more diverse than Austin.
Only county where the majority of whites voted for Hillary. Austin is a little different.
 
Old 11-13-2017, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yeah and the people at the top of these major tech companies, like Amazon, are usually elitist. I just don't see them going to the south to places like Atlanta or Dallas or anywhere in GA or TX in part because of the state's politics but I could be wrong.
Despite recent election results, you could lump Virginia in with these conservative states. An hour drive outside of DC and the confederate flags pop up.
 
Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,287 posts, read 3,506,771 times
Reputation: 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yeah and the people at the top of these major tech companies, like Amazon, are usually elitist. I just don't see them going to the south to places like Atlanta or Dallas or anywhere in GA or TX in part because of the state's politics but I could be wrong.
And yet Dallas and Atlanta are routinely on the short list for practically every major corporate relocation or expansion out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top