U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,234,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I think it will probably be what everyone is thinking... Atlanta. The problem with a lot of the great northeastern cities is that they have the same high housing costs and limited space that is in Seattle. I don't see a big enough delta to want to spend 5 billion and create a whole separate hq2 if you want to essentially buy what you already have. Atlanta gives you a lot of breathing space in terms of both space and costs while still getting good talent. Sure it's biggest drawback is its public transportation. But it does have the bones of something to work with. It has MARTA and could possibly upgrade its transportation system to be better. It is large enough to not be a company town, it is tolerant enough to not scare people away. It is business friendly enough to not complain about someone wanting to rule the world from their kingdom. It doesn't have a state whose finances are in jeopardy. It has warmer weather than the NE or Midwest cities. It is already fast growing and has room to accommodate.

Why not Atlanta?
I don't think everyone is thinking Atlanta, judging just by this poll. Too poor of public transportation, too much traffic, a city that would choke on such an increase in people, and a state and region whose conservative outlook doesn't mesh with the Amazon culture.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 PM

15,371 posts, read 19,126,095 times
I would be surprised at Atlanta, but not shocked. Another SE city would be shocking and unlikely IMO.

My money is on DC/VA.

But, Boston area, NY, Austin all solid contenders.

Long Island City is actually a really good spot for them, and still relatively cheap.

I think they’ve had a pretty good idea of where they’re going, but were smart with a public RFP because of the leverage and incentives it’ll generate.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM

59 posts, read 44,211 times
Quote:
I think it will probably be what everyone is thinking... Atlanta. The problem with a lot of the great northeastern cities is that they have the same high housing costs and limited space that is in Seattle. I don't see a big enough delta to want to spend 5 billion and create a whole separate hq2 if you want to essentially buy what you already have. Atlanta gives you a lot of breathing space in terms of both space and costs while still getting good talent. Sure it's biggest drawback is its public transportation. But it does have the bones of something to work with. It has MARTA and could possibly upgrade its transportation system to be better. It is large enough to not be a company town, it is tolerant enough to not scare people away. It is business friendly enough to not complain about someone wanting to rule the world from their kingdom. It doesn't have a state whose finances are in jeopardy. It has warmer weather than the NE or Midwest cities. It is already fast growing and has room to accommodate.

Why not Atlanta?
Atlanta is a long shot. Everyone is Not assuming it will be Atlanta.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you are using that metric, I guess SoCal will get chosen, since it will be near his Beverly Hills house he has had for decades or wait, maybe it will be in NYC, since he will not want to travel far from his place in Manhattan, which he also has had for decades.

I'm not saying the DC metroplex will or will not be getting the HQ2, but the thing I would least base it on, would be where Bezos has a house (he has at least 4, Seattle, LA, NYC and DC). The guy is the richest person in the world (at least on paper) and can easily and will probably buy a new house wherever HQ2 ends up, unless he already has a house there!
You're also forgetting that he has another company in DC. Why not have them and Amazon HQ2 close together?

Being serious, he just bought that home in DC and owns the Washington Post. It could be a pattern.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,046,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Whatever local has sufficient infrastructure and gives them land for the lowest cost with the most tax breaks.
This pretty much sums up my opinion of the process. So with that, I'm looking probably at Atlanta or somewhere in Texas.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 AM

512 posts, read 376,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I don't think everyone is thinking Atlanta, judging just by this poll. Too poor of public transportation, too much traffic, a city that would choke on such an increase in people, and a state and region whose conservative outlook doesn't mesh with the Amazon culture.
I already mentioned the public transportation issue. You have to look at the overall package. Almost no city has everything. Either the rent is too high or there is issues with public transport or tech talent issues or inevitable problems with growth.

On top of all of this I think this issue that Amazon won't go to Atlanta because the region is too conservative is just plain ridiculous. If Atlanta and the south was too conservative they wouldn't be the fastest growing region in the country. No one would go to Austin. Just like conservatives think taxes are everything, this isn't everything. It's a part of your total package. My point is that Atlanta itself is quite a decent area to live in. Atlanta doesn't carry the same cultural vibe as hill country Mississippi.

Another thing is if you are working in Amazon right now in Seattle, you can increase your wage by simply moving there. We know this happens because it is one of the primary reasons the south is growing.

Also if Amazon went to Atlanta it would only signal to people that this is another southern place to be. You can attract talent to go to Atlanta. Some of these red states are tipping more and more blue precisely because this has been going on for some time. Bezos is a smart guy, he knows that you can't just pick things based upon today. The trend is quite well for Atlanta.

With Atlanta you can take your chances and be pretty certain that you have a long time before you will encounter the same growth problems as most other metros in the US. Any other liberal city in a liberal state is going to have much more growth problems. There will be complaining about inequality and the like.

If Amazon wants a culture fit so badly then they should just stay where they are. The Northeast has lots of tech talent but they would essentially be buying what they already have. Outside of the NE Denver, Toronto or Chicago are the only other serious contenders.

Quote:
Atlanta is leading this poll and listed in the top 5 of almost every professional opinion out there. There is ample reason to think that Atlanta has a good shot. It's far too pessimistic to say Atlanta is a long shot.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:28 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I don't think that Atlanta has better mass transit than Dallas, they both kinda suck TBH. I know that Atlanta has heavy rail, but it is very limited for service. DART in Dallas my be slow and suck, but it goes more places. Again, neither city is scoring a lot of points on transit.
I agree that both cities aren't exactly tops for transit in the country, but if we're talking about urban locations with rail access, Atlanta trumps Dallas there. HRT has greater capacity than light rail and it shows in ridership figures despite Dallas's LRT system having more miles of track.

Quote:
Dallas has one of the largest telecom corridors in the country. AT&T and TI are both based here. Dell is in Austin. Combined there is alot more tech talent and movement between these two cities.
You know Dallas and Austin, but I don't think you know much about Atlanta when it comes to tech. Austin does better than either pound for pound but I'd say Dallas and Atlanta are about even for tech overall with each edging out the other when it comes to certain subcategories within the field.

https://cld.bz/bookdata/wx1wacy/basic-html/page-1.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...nto/484759001/
https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/06...valley/530352/
https://www.cio.com/article/3219718/...ch-talent.html

Quote:
I don't think Dallas is a dominant tier above Atlanta, and honestly I don't think Amazon will go to either of these cities, but if they did, I think Dallas would edge Atlanta out.
That's a reasonable assessment.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Quote:
With Atlanta you can take your chances and be pretty certain that you have a long time before you will encounter the same growth problems as most other metros in the US. Any other liberal city in a liberal state is going to have much more growth problems. There will be complaining about inequality and the like.
Like what? Problems associated with growth is traffic, infrastructure, and crime. Atlanta's infrastructure is fine but it is infamous for its traffic problems, even for a Sunbelt city, and it, the city and the rest of the metro, already has high crime rates compared to many other major cities.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:37 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugo1978 View Post
I think that's absurd. Now there are very good reasons why other cities like Chicago, DC, Boston, Dallas, etc. will win HQ2 and it's possible that some of Atlanta's disadvantages will truly be disqualifying, but on its face, Atlanta is absolutely a top contender for HQ2.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2017 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-17-2017, 10:10 AM

85 posts, read 55,956 times
Based on job growth and ability to absorb a large influx of workers DFW, Atlanta, & Pheonix are good bets.
D-FW added 104,600 jobs, while Atlanta added 87,200.
The two sprawling metros topped the list, both in terms of the absolute number of jobs added and percentage growth.
Phoenix was next up by growth rate. Its number grew 2.5 percent over the year.
While the coasts are often seen as the nation's business centers, increasingly, major inland metros like D-FW, Atlanta and Phoenix are pushing for their share of corporate jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or