U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM

85 posts, read 55,956 times

Advertisements

CHART 1: Highest salary premiums for tech workers among largest U.S. tech hubs:

1. Seattle, $108,350, or 78% higher than all Seattle workers

2. Dallas-Fort Worth, $86,810, +77%

3. Houston, $90,390, +74%

4. Austin, $84,660, +71%

5. Oakland, $105,160, +70%

6. Los Angeles-Orange County, $91,150, +69%

7. Philadelphia, $86,620, +65%

8. San Jose, $128,850, +64%

9. San Francisco, $108,960, +63%

10. Boston, $97,480 +58%

CHART 2: U.S. MSAs with the most workers in computing and math occupations (May 2015):

1. 280,900 New York-Jersey City-Newark

2. 251,000 Silicon Valley (San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland)

3. 185,200 Washington, D.C.

4. 147,400 Los Angeles-Orange County (Anaheim-Irvine)

5. 141,700 Chicago

6. 140,100 Dallas-Fort Worth

7. 126,600 Boston (including Nashua, N.H.)

8. 117,000 Seattle

9. 91,200 Philadelphia

10. 84,000 Houston

NOTE: BLS figures are by occupation, not industry, and include those who work for both tech and non-tech companies. Figures do not represent mean salaries in the tech industry, which also employs thousands of lower-paid, non-tech service workers.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,234,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I already mentioned the public transportation issue. You have to look at the overall package. Almost no city has everything. Either the rent is too high or there is issues with public transport or tech talent issues or inevitable problems with growth.

On top of all of this I think this issue that Amazon won't go to Atlanta because the region is too conservative is just plain ridiculous. If Atlanta and the south was too conservative they wouldn't be the fastest growing region in the country. No one would go to Austin. Just like conservatives think taxes are everything, this isn't everything. It's a part of your total package. My point is that Atlanta itself is quite a decent area to live in. Atlanta doesn't carry the same cultural vibe as hill country Mississippi.

Another thing is if you are working in Amazon right now in Seattle, you can increase your wage by simply moving there. We know this happens because it is one of the primary reasons the south is growing.

Also if Amazon went to Atlanta it would only signal to people that this is another southern place to be. You can attract talent to go to Atlanta. Some of these red states are tipping more and more blue precisely because this has been going on for some time. Bezos is a smart guy, he knows that you can't just pick things based upon today. The trend is quite well for Atlanta.

With Atlanta you can take your chances and be pretty certain that you have a long time before you will encounter the same growth problems as most other metros in the US. Any other liberal city in a liberal state is going to have much more growth problems. There will be complaining about inequality and the like.

If Amazon wants a culture fit so badly then they should just stay where they are. The Northeast has lots of tech talent but they would essentially be buying what they already have. Outside of the NE Denver, Toronto or Chicago are the only other serious contenders.

Atlanta is leading this poll and listed in the top 5 of almost every professional opinion out there. There is ample reason to think that Atlanta has a good shot. It's far too pessimistic to say Atlanta is a long shot.
If you are looking "the overall package" a place where rent is not too high, good public transport, no tech issues and no problems with growth, then Chicago and not Atlanta. Are red states really tipping blue? There was just a runoff election in suburban Atlanta, and it went red. Birmingham is not too far away and it is amazing the amount of support Joe Moore is getting, Not saying that Atlanta doesn't have a shot, but there are negatives that don't reflect in any of these metrics that might come into play.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,875,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
To me, this scenario is entirely within the realm of possibilities. Casting himself as the Great Savior of a legacy city might well appeal to Bezos' ego.

Yes, I would agree with Bezos and Gary, Indiana being chosen. Gary has a smaller airport available which could fit Amazon's needs by having it all just about for themselves and has some of the biggest arterial Interstates such as 80/94, I-90 and I-65 !

Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I think it will probably be what everyone is thinking... Atlanta. The problem with a lot of the great northeastern cities is that they have the same high housing costs and limited space that is in Seattle. I don't see a big enough delta to want to spend 5 billion and create a whole separate hq2 if you want to essentially buy what you already have. Atlanta gives you a lot of breathing space in terms of both space and costs while still getting good talent. Sure it's biggest drawback is its public transportation. But it does have the bones of something to work with. It has MARTA and could possibly upgrade its transportation system to be better. It is large enough to not be a company town, it is tolerant enough to not scare people away. It is business friendly enough to not complain about someone wanting to rule the world from their kingdom. It doesn't have a state whose finances are in jeopardy. It has warmer weather than the NE or Midwest cities. It is already fast growing and has room to accommodate.

Why not Atlanta?
Atlanta also has a booming film industry on its side with considerable facilities. Bezos is aggressively growing Amazon Studios. Georgia is extremely film industry friendly.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
If you are looking "the overall package" a place where rent is not too high, good public transport, no tech issues and no problems with growth, then Chicago and not Atlanta. Are red states really tipping blue? There was just a runoff election in suburban Atlanta, and it went red.
Considering that this District spawned Newt Gingrich and the vote was for the replacement of the now disgraced Tom Price, the closeness of the vote was HISTORIC. And just so you know, all of Metro Atlanta's core Counties along with a few far-flung suburban ones voted for Hillary.

Trump only won Georgia by 5.7%, Alabama was 28.3%

Quote:
Birmingham is not too far away and it is amazing the amount of support Joe Moore is getting, Not saying that Atlanta doesn't have a shot, but there are negatives that don't reflect in any of these metrics that might come into play.
To associate Atlanta with any of this is beyond delusional. Did Chicago suffer when Pence tried to turn the clock back to 1950 in Indiana? I don't think so.

Last edited by JMatl; 11-17-2017 at 11:57 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Are red states really tipping blue? There was just a runoff election in suburban Atlanta, and it went red.
We're talking about a heavily Republican district, at least historically, that used to elect former Rep. Tom Price by 20+ point wins going for Karen Handel by only 3.8 percentage points. Romney won the district by 23+ points in 2012 while Trump barely won it by 1.5 points last year. And on the state level earlier this month, Democrats picked up three seats in the House in districts formerly represented by Republicans.

Quote:
Birmingham is not too far away and it is amazing the amount of support Joe Moore is getting, Not saying that Atlanta doesn't have a shot, but there are negatives that don't reflect in any of these metrics that might come into play.
I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:06 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Toronto is in the run, actively but I hope it won't succeed. A large number of high tech workers making far above local salary isn't exactly a desirable outcome for a city. It will push rents and prices in certain areas even higher, creating a new privileged interest group. We don't want to be San Francisco, although things are already bad as they are.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:21 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Toronto is in the run, actively but I hope it won't succeed. A large number of high tech workers making far above local salary isn't exactly a desirable outcome for a city. It will push rents and prices in certain areas even higher, creating a new privileged interest group. We don't want to be San Francisco, although things are already bad as they are.
50,000 new workers in a city of 6 million is not going to skew things a lot imo.

You said we.....dont you live in Paris, France now?
If Im not mistaken, you only lived in Toronto a few years, and lived in USA before that,
and are originally from somewhere else, China I think.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:09 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
50,000 new workers in a city of 6 million is not going to skew things a lot imo.

You said “we”.....don’t you live in Paris, France now?
If I’m not mistaken, you only lived in Toronto a few years, and lived in USA before that,
and are originally from somewhere else, China I think.
So? I am less a Canadian than you, can't use "we" when I talk about Toronto? I am in France temporarily and will move back to Toronto in less than a year. I still pay Toronto property tax.

8.5 years is a lot, and constitutes the vast majority of my adult, working, taxpaying life. So I am entitled to say "we" when I talk about Toronto. I was mostly a student in Shanghai and the US, which doesn't exactly make me a local. As to my hometown, haven't seen it for a decade, can't associate with it much since everything I am familiar with is demolished. SO it is rather complicated.

I am not a fan of the Amazon empire, or any tech empire. And I certainly don't want Toronto to be more like SF/Silicon Valley. They are free to go to Waterloo or whatever.

Last edited by botticelli; 11-18-2017 at 07:17 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 04:03 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16...ca-seattle-2hq.

Amazon is looking for a new HQ in North America equal to that of their Seattle HQ. Where do you guys think they'll go? It'll cost roughly $5Bn and will have a HUGE economic impact wherever they choose to go.
This will be a real exciting choice for the winning city. Amazon says it wants a city with and strong International airport and I doubt that means a couple of flights to Mexico or Canada.
My guesses: Denver, San Diego, Charlotte, Dallas (forget Houston after Hurricane Harvey), Atlanta.
Boston is another strong choice, but will Boston have a site, have enough land to offer?

Last edited by ABQSunseeker; 11-18-2017 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or