U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2017, 04:20 PM
 
513 posts, read 287,747 times
Reputation: 472

Advertisements

My random choice was Raleigh, with Pittsburgh in 2nd place.

 
Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 PM
 
1,057 posts, read 1,565,360 times
Reputation: 1344
Dudes... why are you still polling? It's going to Dallas!
 
Old 11-18-2017, 10:39 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Dudes... why are you still polling? It's going to Dallas!
How about a link to the press release?
 
Old 11-19-2017, 07:11 AM
 
5,261 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Reputation: 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Dudes... why are you still polling? It's going to Dallas!
I guess they forgot to tell Atlanta that!

Atlanta predicted as the top place Amazon could build headquarters

Researchers identified 64 metro locations as possible destinations based on a set key factors from Amazon. The metrics included a metro population greater than one million, a major airport nearby, a stable business climate, robust mass transit, a highly-educated labor pool, diverse population, low cost of living, and a high quality of life.

They then combined guesses from 18 reputable sources, including The New York Times, Moody's, CNN and CNBC, to calculate an average for each city. Every city not mentioned in a publication received a base score of 50 since the maximum number of cities in one study was 45.

Atlanta came out on top. It was No. 1 with notable first place finishes from The New York Times Opinion and CNN Money. It had an average rank of 13.6.

1. Atlanta, GA

2. Boston, MA

3. Chicago, IL

4. Washington, D.C.

5. Austin, TX

6. Dallas, TX

7. Philadelphia, PA

8. Denver, CO

9. New York City

10. Raleigh, NC


At this point it's just pure speculation on where it will go, who even knows if Amazon will announce a "short list", they just might announce the winner at a single press conference next year. I'm sure with how hard it is to keep a secret, there will undoubtedly be leaks that will come out right before any announcement.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I guess they forgot to tell Atlanta that!

Atlanta predicted as the top place Amazon could build headquarters

Researchers identified 64 metro locations as possible destinations based on a set key factors from Amazon. The metrics included a metro population greater than one million, a major airport nearby, a stable business climate, robust mass transit, a highly-educated labor pool, diverse population, low cost of living, and a high quality of life.

They then combined guesses from 18 reputable sources, including The New York Times, Moody's, CNN and CNBC, to calculate an average for each city. Every city not mentioned in a publication received a base score of 50 since the maximum number of cities in one study was 45.

Atlanta came out on top. It was No. 1 with notable first place finishes from The New York Times Opinion and CNN Money. It had an average rank of 13.6.

1. Atlanta, GA

2. Boston, MA

3. Chicago, IL

4. Washington, D.C.

5. Austin, TX

6. Dallas, TX

7. Philadelphia, PA

8. Denver, CO

9. New York City

10. Raleigh, NC


At this point it's just pure speculation on where it will go, who even knows if Amazon will announce a "short list", they just might announce the winner at a single press conference next year. I'm sure with how hard it is to keep a secret, there will undoubtedly be leaks that will come out right before any announcement.
This seems about right to me, but I think Amazon may surprise us all with something outside of the box.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 09:35 AM
 
1,593 posts, read 831,191 times
Reputation: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
This will be a real exciting choice for the winning city. Amazon says it wants a city with and strong International airport and I doubt that means a couple of flights to Mexico or Canada.
My guesses: Denver, San Diego, Charlotte, Dallas (forget Houston after Hurricane Harvey), Atlanta.
Boston is another strong choice, but will Boston have a site, have enough land to offer?
*The official Boston proposal has 1 location with enough land in East Boston,, a defunct horse racing track. A few stops from downtown on the blue line.

*Somerville submitted a proposal which included offices in Assembly Sq in Somerville which are under construction as well as Northpoint in Cambridge which are also under construction.

Other sizable potential locations

The US post office is for some reason still has a huge sorting warehouse right behind South Station, if they finally move out of downtown and sell the land that is a large site. I think the USPS also owns parking lots right across the Fort Point Channel from down down next to the Convention Center.

The federal government is currently moving out of its Volpe office which includes parking lots in Cambridge near Kendall Sq, but MIT has bought the land so its up to the University now. From what I read they aren't building new classroom space there, its going to be developed for commercial, with some grad student residences.

Along the same lines Harvard is developing the "Brighton Yards" but they are further from downtown.

There is a place called Widett Circle just south of downtown on the red line. It has been home to a bunch of food distribution warehouses. Those warehouses are going to be moving out soon and the land is slated for redevelopment. This location would be adjacent to a plan to redevelop a section of Dorchester Ave from Broadway Station to Andrews Square Station, into midrise mixed use and residential buildings.

The other more out of the box idea would be to buy some of the air rights over the Mass Pike. Though nobody's build over the Pike in decades because of the cost of decking over the road and rail lines combined with the NIMBY's. The Southend Nimby's and cost brough down the proposed Columbus Center a few years ago.
 
Old 11-19-2017, 10:06 AM
 
7,694 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Reputation: 8371
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Dudes... why are you still polling? It's going to Dallas!
Dallas is one of the few major cities that I would actually bet money against. If this were any other corporate relocation, Dallas would be one of the top choices, but Dallas is week on mass transit and university presence. Yes, Dallas has lots of miles of light rail to get you to the suburbs but its system is horrible for last mile, intracity transit, and that is reflected in its lo wtransit usage rate.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and wherever planes fly
1,555 posts, read 2,391,002 times
Reputation: 1394
I actually don't want Dallas to get it. Toyota's relocation from LA earlier this year drove already rising home and apartment costs even higher. And Amazons effect would be even worse. It's loosing the edge it used to have for cost of living. That being said if one is looking for employment Texas continues to be a trailblazer.

'I'm going to say Raleigh, or Atlanta
 
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,158 posts, read 2,020,716 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
*The official Boston proposal has 1 location with enough land in East Boston,, a defunct horse racing track. A few stops from downtown on the blue line.

*Somerville submitted a proposal which included offices in Assembly Sq in Somerville which are under construction as well as Northpoint in Cambridge which are also under construction.

Other sizable potential locations

The US post office is for some reason still has a huge sorting warehouse right behind South Station, if they finally move out of downtown and sell the land that is a large site. I think the USPS also owns parking lots right across the Fort Point Channel from down down next to the Convention Center.

The federal government is currently moving out of its Volpe office which includes parking lots in Cambridge near Kendall Sq, but MIT has bought the land so its up to the University now. From what I read they aren't building new classroom space there, its going to be developed for commercial, with some grad student residences.

Along the same lines Harvard is developing the "Brighton Yards" but they are further from downtown.

There is a place called Widett Circle just south of downtown on the red line. It has been home to a bunch of food distribution warehouses. Those warehouses are going to be moving out soon and the land is slated for redevelopment. This location would be adjacent to a plan to redevelop a section of Dorchester Ave from Broadway Station to Andrews Square Station, into midrise mixed use and residential buildings.

The other more out of the box idea would be to buy some of the air rights over the Mass Pike. Though nobody's build over the Pike in decades because of the cost of decking over the road and rail lines combined with the NIMBY's. The Southend Nimby's and cost brough down the proposed Columbus Center a few years ago.

Very interesting. I think Boston is a real possibility unless Amazon surprises by choosing a smaller city with even more land to spare.
 
Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Reputation: 11136
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/thes...dquarters.html

Throwing more fuel on this fire....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top