U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:28 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,108,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
That MSNBC rating starts from a incorrect statement that "Amazon intends to build a second $5 billion headquarters in the US" which is patently false. Amazon said no such thing but rather it said North America which includes Canada {not Mexico as I believe Amazon stated it wanted a 2nd headquarters for NA which includes Mexico but also stated it welcomes bids from both Canada and the US and did not mention Mexico}. This is akin to the CBC coming out and saying Amazon intend to build a second headquarters in Canada which would be equally false.

Where do they get these "journalists" and don't they proof read their reports before airing them?
Why does this hit a nerve? Amazon is an American company employing mostly American workers whose economy is largely tied to the American market. It's reasonable to assume that Canada won't get it. If Canada wants Amazon so badly, it should try to create its own Amazon - instead of the repeated failures - Blackberry, Bombardier, Nortel - that keep crashing and burning.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:20 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
It's a global company and hires HQ1 talent globally already, which would be easier outside of the US' insular system. And obviously they didn't specify the US.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's a global company and hires HQ1 talent globally already, which would be easier outside of the US' insular system. And obviously they didn't specify the US.
It's hypocritical how the Canadians on C-D love to brag about how 'Canadian' financial companies like Royal Bank of Canada, TD, and Scotiabank are doing well. These companies, of course, also have global operations like Amazon - yet none of the Canada boosters will call them "global companies." They are 100% Canadian in their eyes. Even Tim Hortons, controlled by Brazilians, is a 'Canadian' company. Bombardier, with operations outside Canada, is a 'Canadian company.'

Yet every American company with an employee in Canada magically becomes a "global company" with apparently no ties or history to the U.S.

FACTS: Amazon is an American company. It was incumbated in the U.S. Its success was derived from American consumers. It's growth was led largely by American employees. The majority of its revenues are from the U.S.

Canada had nothing to do with Amazon's success and it is ridiculous that some Canadians want to come on this thread to vent and whine about their country not getting enough attention, even though it had no hand in making Amazon the successful company it has become. Maybe they should be spending more time making sure their last "major" tech company - Blackberry - doesn't collapse too quickly.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:18 PM

I don't know what personal demons you're fighting on this. From my Seattle commercial real estate perspective, I consider a company with global operations, global clientele, and a global talent base to be a global company. And obviously Canada was invited by the RFP.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:34 AM

831 posts, read 933,581 times
Again, whether you think Canada will or even should get the headquarters is irrelevant. This is both sloppy and incompetent journalism. At NO point did Amazon state it wanted an American headquarters nor did it say it wanted a Canadian one but rather said it was open to cities of both countries hence getting {and accepting} proposals from both the US & Canada.

This is not a "sore spot" but simply stating a fact that no one yet knows where the headquarters will go. You may think Canadians have a grade 3 education and it's cities are only marginally better than the slums of Calcutta but that doesn't change the fact that Canadian cities are also being considered. It is Amazon that said cities from both countries could be the new headquarters, not me.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I don't know what personal demons you're fighting on this. From my Seattle commercial real estate perspective, I consider a company with global operations, global clientele, and a global talent base to be a global company. And obviously Canada was invited by the RFP.
I'm not even sure what you're arguing. Just read Page 1 of the RFP, since you brought it up: "Amazon is a publicly traded U.S. corporation and is a leading internet retailer and technology company." Even Amazon calls themselves American. Pretending they have no ties to the U.S. and belong to "the world"
is bizarre, to say the least.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Again, whether you think Canada will or even should get the headquarters is irrelevant. This is both sloppy and incompetent journalism. At NO point did Amazon state it wanted an American headquarters nor did it say it wanted a Canadian one but rather said it was open to cities of both countries hence getting {and accepting} proposals from both the US & Canada.

This is not a "sore spot" but simply stating a fact that no one yet knows where the headquarters will go. You may think Canadians have a grade 3 education and it's cities are only marginally better than the slums of Calcutta but that doesn't change the fact that Canadian cities are also being considered. It is Amazon that said cities from both countries could be the new headquarters, not me.
Actually, you're being sloppy as well. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones! The RFP did not even reference Canada. You can CTRL+Find if you don't believe me: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

The RFP referenced 'North America' which includes, in addition to Canada and the USA:
  1. Antigua and Barbuda
  2. Bahamas
  3. Barbados
  4. Belize
  5. Costa Rica
  6. Cuba
  7. Dominica
  8. Dominican Republic
  9. El Salvador
  10. Grenada
  11. Guatemala
  12. Haiti
  13. Honduras
  14. Jamaica
  15. Mexico
  16. Nicaragua
  17. Panama
  18. Saint Kitts and Nevis
  19. Saint Lucia
  20. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  21. Trinidad and Tobago

All of these countries were invited to bid, not just Canada and the U.S.

So don't accuse journalists of being sloppy without doing your own research. You hate that MSNBC ignored Canada yet you ignored 20 countries that, per the RFP, were also invited!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:49 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Amazon would likely be in for a wave of bad press if they decided to move HQ2 to a non-American city. Both Democrats and Republicans would politically be against it, and Amazon's competitors would love nothing more than to stir up bad press about the company abandoning the American public in order to help themselves. It would come at a perfect time as companies like Walmart and Target continue to attempt to compete with Amazon via their online stores.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I'm not even sure what you're arguing. Just read Page 1 of the RFP, since you brought it up: "Amazon is a publicly traded U.S. corporation and is a leading internet retailer and technology company." Even Amazon calls themselves American. Pretending they have no ties to the U.S. and belong to "the world"
is bizarre, to say the least.
Who said they have no ties to the US?

I'm guessing nobody did.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:19 AM

831 posts, read 933,581 times
Remember this is a 2nd headquarters and the primary one will remain in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or