U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2017, 04:12 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,461,625 times

Advertisements

I think they should build somewhere in the midwest for logistic reasons...my guess Illinois

Old 11-28-2017, 04:45 AM

4,135 posts, read 7,189,841 times
Itís anyone guess where Amazon HQ2 will end up. Wherever it goes expect the cost of living to skyrocket.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 AM

5,952 posts, read 6,854,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I heard this too. I agree that Amazon is doing their due diligence, and they should with all leading contenders, but I have to agree with you that the Finkl site in Chicago is more than prime when compared to other offerings in other cities, and it does scream Amazon. This would be a prime location in a large world class city close to public transportation.
They probably don't care what I think, but I will be really miffed if they put all of these cities through this just to pick an unoriginal heavy-hitter like Chicago.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 AM

2,153 posts, read 2,661,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
They probably don't care what I think, but I will be really miffed if they put all of these cities through this just to pick an unoriginal heavy-hitter like Chicago.
There's a heckuva of a lot of collective time, energy and resources being applied by municipalities across the country in their effort to land the Amazon's HQ2. That's a lot of lost GDP that can likely not be leveraged for another activity (this activity is highly specific to Amazon).

I wonder if Amazon will reimburse all these hopefuls for the time and effort they sink into RFPs and so forth. Given that it's part and parcel cost of doing business, probably not.

Last edited by BigLake; 11-28-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 10:11 AM

5,183 posts, read 3,715,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
There's a heckuva of a lot of collective time, energy and resources being applied by municipalities across the country in their effort to land the Amazon's HQ2. That's a lot of lost GDP that can likely not be leveraged for another activity (this activity is highly specific to Amazon).

I wonder if Amazon will reimburse all these hopefuls for the time and effort they sink into RFPs and so forth. Given that it's part and parcel cost of doing business, probably not.
Really no different than companies competing for a big project at a big client. They all put a lot of time and effort into wooing the client, but in the end, only one gets the prize. However, I think Amazon already has a short list. What they should have done, IMO, is to say - we've narrowed it down to the following 10 cities. For those 10 cities, please submit your proposals. No need to have every metro in North America wasting time and effort on this if Amazon has no intention of picking them.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:15 AM

29,909 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Really no different than companies competing for a big project at a big client. They all put a lot of time and effort into wooing the client, but in the end, only one gets the prize. However, I think Amazon already has a short list. What they should have done, IMO, is to say - we've narrowed it down to the following 10 cities. For those 10 cities, please submit your proposals. No need to have every metro in North America wasting time and effort on this if Amazon has no intention of picking them.
Amazon may refer to those RFPs down the road for smaller projects that could be more suitable for those that aren't on the short list for HQ2.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:16 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
I wonder if they realized the sheer magnitude of responses the RFP would capture.

and on the cost, the municipalities had the choice to submit or not, maybe many should have just said no thanks and not submitted but that is on them

now if this was purely a dog and pony to get better incentives from a place they already had chosen then Amazon should have let some folk know not to waste their time

Old 11-28-2017, 10:54 AM

2,153 posts, read 2,661,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes, that's pretty much my point. No need to have Wheatfield, Nebraska or Armpit, Ohio submit if they have no realistic shot. They should just have an RFP cage match for the top dozen cities or so.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:11 PM

1,255 posts, read 947,457 times
I'm watching this thread like anyone who is passively curious about the final result.

I worked for a big company that was all about bidding on contracts, responding to RFPs, submitting and selecting BAFO (best and final offers). The thing is, we had "a machine" built for this purpose, a team comprised of people who knew how much money this deal was worth, what was the likely payout over the operating term of the contract, etc.

There comes a point, where you go PAST what's rational/profitable for the amount of time & effort you put out. I've watched my company WITHDRAWL from the bid process when it looked like a loser deal for the supposed 'winner'. A Fortune 500 corporation has completely internalized this behavior. But in SYMBOLIC or POLITICAL deals, you can see all kinds of crazyness ensue.

It is a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity for the short-list of candidates. Let them limbo dance and do parlour tricks, juggling their flaming maracas, shouting "pick me pick me!" "we will give you no property taxes for 20 years and an NFL stadium named in your honor!"

But know that the selection committee and the man that sits at the top of the pyramid already has the winner in mind.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,235,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yes, that's pretty much my point. No need to have Wheatfield, Nebraska or Armpit, Ohio submit if they have no realistic shot. They should just have an RFP cage match for the top dozen cities or so.
LOL-Armpit, Ohio. I agree, don't complain about the time and energy putting together a proposal if you don't have a shot, i.e. a large population, good transit, good airport and decent tech and university presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or