U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,339,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I'm watching this thread like anyone who is passively curious about the final result.

I worked for a big company that was all about bidding on contracts, responding to RFPs, submitting and selecting BAFO (best and final offers). The thing is, we had "a machine" built for this purpose, a team comprised of people who knew how much money this deal was worth, what was the likely payout over the operating term of the contract, etc.

There comes a point, where you go PAST what's rational/profitable for the amount of time & effort you put out. I've watched my company WITHDRAWL from the bid process when it looked like a loser deal for the supposed 'winner'. A Fortune 500 corporation has completely internalized this behavior. But in SYMBOLIC or POLITICAL deals, you can see all kinds of crazyness ensue.

It is a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity for the short-list of candidates. Let them limbo dance and do parlour tricks, juggling their flaming maracas, shouting "pick me pick me!" "we will give you no property taxes for 20 years and an NFL stadium named in your honor!"

But know that the selection committee and the man that sits at the top of the pyramid already has the winner in mind.
Great post, and spot on. What many are missing is that public funds were used by cities, states, etc. to make these bids. And politicians are terrible business people most of the time. Their ability to consider whether the investment is worthwhile and act accordingly is missing.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,667,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Great post, and spot on. What many are missing is that public funds were used by cities, states, etc. to make these bids. And politicians are terrible business people most of the time. Their ability to consider whether the investment is worthwhile and act accordingly is missing.

Exactly. And just provides more support to the fact that all hither and yond, non-qualified cities should refrain from putting forth the energy and financial resources required for a bid that they will not win. Protecting them from themselves.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Exactly. And just provides more support to the fact that all hither and yond, non-qualified cities should refrain from putting forth the energy and financial resources required for a bid that they will not win. Protecting them from themselves.
San Jose bowed out because they didn't see it as something that they felt would be beneficial to the city. That's the rare case where politicians are really thinking. Although San Jose is also not economically desperate.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 AM

224 posts, read 112,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
San Jose bowed out because they didn't see it as something that they felt would be beneficial to the city. That's the rare case where politicians are really thinking. Although San Jose is also not economically desperate.
Wasn't that San Antonio? Or was it both?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Not sure, but I remember reading this:

Quote:
“For the most part, these subsidies are a bad deal for taxpayers,” he said on “Varney & Co.” “And when you have cities throughout the country that are all in a bidding war, taxpayers throughout the country really lose.”
San Jose mayor refuses to bid to be Amazon's new HQ | Fox Business

Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,363,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Correct, San Antonio opted not to compete for HQ2.

Quote:
“We’ve long been impressed by Amazon and its bold view of the future,” they wrote. “Given this, it’s hard to imagine that a forward-thinking company like Amazon hasn’t already selected its preferred location. And, if that’s the case, then this public process is, intentionally or not, creating a bidding war between amongst states and cities. Sure, we have a competitive toolkit of incentives, but blindly giving away the farm isn’t our style.”

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...io-amazon-hq2/
Bolded, they're probably right about that.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Correct, San Antonio opted not to compete for HQ2.

Bolded, they're probably right about that.
SA would've never been picked. So they took the lazy way out. Common place for that city.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:59 AM

5,960 posts, read 6,867,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
SA would've never been picked. So they took the lazy way out. Common place for that city.
How is it lazy to not waste your time?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,363,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
How is it lazy to not waste your time?
I think what Gaylord may mean is that San Antonio is the least aggressive and progressive big city in Texas when it comes to competing for new businesses.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:16 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,306,697 times
My friend just sent me the video Charlotte leaders pitched to Amazon. It's freakin awful.

Charlotte won't hear for a while if it makes Amzon HQ2 shortlist | Charlotte Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or