U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Amazon is not having a second headquarters outside the US while Trump is in office. If they announce somewhere outside the US Bezos might as well have the press conference on the WH lawn and then drop his pants and take a dump. Because thatís what heíd be doing in trumps eyes.
I can't help but wonder how appealing that could be to him.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,685,055 times
He's choking off their access to foreign talent, so maybe he'd need to take the blame (he wouldn't admit it of course).

Old 12-17-2017, 02:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,989,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Jacksonville is rather unique to other aspirants in this; adding to that is the fact they would have a (IMO beautiful) riverside location.
Jacksonville's location is one of its most underutilized assets.
Absolutely true.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:13 PM

831 posts, read 935,397 times
I don't think Jacksonville has a chance but it was a good video.

You maybe very right that Amazon may be reluctant to have it's HQ2 outside the US but they asked for bids from all NA cities and this was well after Trump was elected. Bezos and Amazon both know that Trump and his ditch NAFTA talk is a temporary thing. He will certainly try to renegotiate to the US favour but he that is directed at Mexico and not Canada. Canada is the largest export market for 29 US states and the second largest for another 16. A trade wall with Canada would hurt Canada more but still have major economic implications for most of the US. Remember also that this has little to do with NAFTA. This is not a warehouse but an operational centre..........there will be almost nothing exported out of the facility.

Trump is , thank God, a one-hit wonder and I don't think his personal reactions to any decision will matter and certainly not to Bezos who hates Trump with a passion. Also, clearly Amazon thinks that a Canadian location is viable because if anyone got wind of the fact that this was just PR on Amazon's part it will cost them tens of millions as the Canadian cities start filing their lawsuits.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:47 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,358,617 times
Oh dear...time to build another wall...

Old 12-18-2017, 10:46 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,240,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

You maybe very right that Amazon may be reluctant to have it's HQ2 outside the US but they asked for bids from all NA cities and this was well after Trump was elected. Bezos and Amazon both know that Trump and his ditch NAFTA talk is a temporary thing. He will certainly try to renegotiate to the US favour but he that is directed at Mexico and not Canada. Canada is the largest export market for 29 US states and the second largest for another 16. A trade wall with Canada would hurt Canada more but still have major economic implications for most of the US. Remember also that this has little to do with NAFTA. This is not a warehouse but an operational centre..........there will be almost nothing exported out of the facility.

Trump is , thank God, a one-hit wonder and I don't think his personal reactions to any decision will matter and certainly not to Bezos who hates Trump with a passion. Also, clearly Amazon thinks that a Canadian location is viable because if anyone got wind of the fact that this was just PR on Amazon's part it will cost them tens of millions as the Canadian cities start filing their lawsuits.
What standing would Canadian cities have to file lawsuits? The PR could probably apply to a number of other cities in the U.S. ( like maybe Jacksonville ) as well who did not stand a chance but were asked to submit a proposal on the assumption that all submissions had equal weight. I doubt that there would ever be an admission that this contest was for the top five best candidates who were in Amazon's head.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 AM

4,137 posts, read 7,200,665 times
Have fun Atlanta with Amazon HQ2. If Reports are accurate that Amazon is sending lobbyist Georgia I think that signals Amazon wants to be in ATL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...id-hq2-2017-12

Old 12-19-2017, 04:36 PM

2,690 posts, read 2,044,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Have fun Atlanta with Amazon HQ2. If Reports are accurate that Amazon is sending lobbyist Georgia I think that signals Amazon wants to be in ATL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...id-hq2-2017-12
Amazon was quick to put an end to that....

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...s-hq2-chances/

Old 12-19-2017, 05:55 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Amazon was quick to put an end to that....

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...s-hq2-chances/
I think the lobbyist is a red herring. If I'm not mistaken, he also registered in Illinois around the same time.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

Lol. Youíre gonna sur amazon if they donít pick you? On what grounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or