U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 PM

191 posts, read 169,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The more I think about this, the more I don't want the Twin Cities to get it.

1. 50,000 more yuppies will change the culture of the city. They will make it blander and more corporate.
2. They will bid up the cost of housing for everybody else.
3. That is a ton of jobs from one employer. Any city smaller than Atlanta or Dallas would become a company town and would have to do Amazon's bidding because they then wouldn't be able to afford to lose that many white collar jobs.
4. If/when Amazon is broken up for antitrust reasons it will likely be devastating to Seattle and headquarter city #2.
5. This is a solution looking for a problem. Minneapolis is fine the way it is. We don't need to change the city just to get a shiny new toy.
6. When I see what the tech economy has done to Seattle and the Bay Area, that is not a model I want to follow. Formerly interesting, bohemian cities are turning into tech monocultures where the rich live well and everybody else either moves away or lives like crap. They are much less interesting places than they used to be.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You've summed up my feelings exactly. Some cities, like mine and especially yours, really do not need this. Let somewhere more desperate give away the store for this.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You've summed up my feelings exactly. Some cities, like mine and especially yours, really do not need this. Let somewhere more desperate give away the store for this.
Detroit should get this. It would be really good for them too.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:15 PM

766 posts, read 2,269,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The RFP from Amazon to cities include the below:
https://qz.com/1071832/amazons-hq2-w...-headquarters/

5. Logistics. Amazon is first and foremost a master of logistics, so it should come as no surprise that the company cares a lot about transportation. Amazon wants on-site access to mass transit—train, subway, or bus—and to be no more than one or two miles from major highways and connecting roads. It wants to be within 45 minutes of an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, the San Francisco Bay area, and Washington DC. The company is also asking applicants to identify “all transit options, including bike lanes and pedestrian access” for the proposed site and to rank traffic congestion during peak commuting hours.
I think a lot of people have glossed over this very specific requirement in the actual Amazon RFP (not just guessing about what they're looking for here). They want *on-site* access to mass transit. In terms of well-developed mass transit systems, that favors places like NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, DC and San Francisco. Chicago and Philly have substantially lower real estate costs than the others but still provide much of the cultural environment and mass transit that Amazon has explicitly asked for, so those are big pluses on their end. In the case of incentives, Illinois actually has a long history of being pretty aggressive on that front in spite of its overall fiscal state (as incentives and state government health aren't one and the same). Both of those cities also have strong international airport connections and access to top tier university talent (the Big Ten universities in close proximity to Chicago and the Ivy League universities in close proximity to Philly). Chicago's logistics advantage is that it's in the middle of the country, so it provides good access to both coasts, while Philly's logistics advantage is that it's in the heart of the Northeast DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC/Boston corridor. I'd personally put Chicago as the front-runner (more on the history of incentives and its headquarters city reputation) and Philly is a very strong #2.

On the flip side, the mass transit requirement is a large negative for many Sun Belt locales like Dallas and Charlotte along with most of the non-Chicago Rust Belt markets like Detroit and Pittsburgh. Atlanta theoretically has the transit system bones to possibly deliver on this requirement, but it doesn't have anywhere near the options of locations that Chicago or Philly could offer.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:21 PM

Oh, besides Chicago and Philly, remember that Amazon noted that this 2nd HQ is for North America... and not necessarily the United States.

Toronto would certainly fit the bill of everything that they're looking for, as well (although its real estate costs have skyrocketed similar to Seattle's costs over the past decade).

Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Detroit would be my guess too as I think Bezos is the type of guy who would want to see it turning around plus be a major PR coup for the company. Remember this is the company that bought Whole Foods to make organics cheaper for the "average person", and choosing a second base will probably involve some similar thought process in terms of sharing the wealth with cities not already riding the IT wave.
I think Detroit and Baltimore are super sleepers. Bezos would become almost an instant deity in either place dropping 50,000 new jobs there.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:27 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
I think Nashville gets it. Hottest mid-sized city in America right now, relatively centrally located, no state income tax. I just have a feeling...
You know what, I definitely think Nashville may be on the short short list....it could be a dark horse...it is the hottest "It" city right now in the US....

Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think Detroit and Baltimore are super sleepers. Bezos would become almost an instant deity in either place dropping 50,000 new jobs there.
I could somewhat see Baltimore in the sense that it's adjacent to the DC area and right in the middle of the Northeast corridor. There's also solid mass transit and strong access to university talent when you consider Johns Hopkins, the University of Maryland and the close proximity of the DC and Virginia universities to the south and the Ivy League universities to the north. Executive talent can be sold that they can live on the Maryland side of the DC area and easily still work in Baltimore.

However, I don't see how Detroit really fits with the RFP requirements. The mass transit situation there was intentionally undermined for many years due to auto industry pressures and it's still in the very nascent stages of downtown redevelopment. Downtown Detroit is certainly better than what it used to be 15 years ago, but it's in no way on par with a whole slew of downtown options. Frankly, to the extent that the Detroit area has a shot for Amazon, it would be in Ann Arbor (which has a strong bus system, isn't any farther from Detroit Metro Airport than downtown, and obviously has the University of Michigan for new talent right on its doorstep) as opposed to Detroit proper.

While I'm sure Jeff Bezos would love the ego trip of "saving" a town, the Amazon RFP requirements clearly point to the company looking for a "plug and play" location that it can hit the ground running in as opposed to a rehab project. The winning city is going to need all of the RFP requirements as of today (and not just argue that Amazon itself will bring those desirable requirements if it comes) and then provide the best incentive package on top of that. A city that isn't already a magnet for college graduates or has the requisite air connections in place or has a robust mass transit system will very likely get knocked out. This is all about what a city can do for Amazon immediately as opposed to the other way around.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,097 times
People here think of mass transit as trains but in the real world it is also buses. For most of the time that Amazon has been in Seattle buses have been the backbone of its transit system. Decent bus transit is probably enough.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Quote:
People here think of mass transit as trains but in the real world it is also buses. For most of the time that Amazon has been in Seattle buses have been the backbone of its transit system. Decent bus transit is probably enough.
Decent bus transit is enough? I doubt it. Amazon during it's growth period vs. now are two different stories. Amazon commands much more influence today and attracts top talent from all over the country. I'm pretty sure a "decent" bus transit isn't what they are going for while planning on hiring 50k+ new employees, especially when there are cities that can provide a full scale mass transit option that includes metro, light rail, buses, streetcars etc. and even airports connected via metro. They want from my guess an eco-friendly, hip, desirable, dense urban location. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't automatically go for the deepest incentive... they are very "culture" conscious like numerous companies out of Seattle.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Sure, buses are certainly mass transit. That being said, the bus transit system itself needs to be fully-developed or else it's not really practical as a legitimate transit option for a critical mass of people. The places with train systems are generally also the ones with more robust bus systems. Reading the RFP, this isn't a token gesture for a small minority of employees that don't want to drive or a feel good PC requirement. Instead, this reads like they're mandating being in a place where the clear majority of employees are taking mass transit (whether train or bus) to work. That still points to the densest locales like NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly and DC. (San Francisco is on there, too, but my educated guess is that's the one place that Amazon doesn't want to go to at all. Their actions have always been to be proactively outside of the Silicon Valley bubble.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or