U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:38 PM

831 posts, read 934,304 times

Advertisements

You couldn't sue if you lose but they certainly could if it is proven that Amazon had absolutely no intention of setting up in Canada from the very beginning and only said Canada for PR. Cities put a lot of money and effort into these proposals and if Canada was never even going to be considered they should not have asked for proposals. This is similar to how cities can get sued by companies when things {ie transit vehicles or road projects etc}} are put out to tender but the city secretly has absolutely no interest in anyone except the one they already were going to pick and the whole process was a publicity stunt.

My whole point is that Amazon knows this and therefore at least think that a Canadian location is viable. This of course doesn't mean it will go to Canada.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 PM

Here's a couple other tidbits: Techvibes has come out with it's high tech listings for employment and using CREB stats and Toronto, between 2015 to 2016 created more high-tech jobs than any other city in NA at 25,000 which is more than NYC and SF/Bay Area.........combined.

Also when comparing costs it found that Toronto was FAR cheaper than any US location. When including cost for real estate and labour/wages an employer of 500 people would cost US$26 million in Toronto to run which is vastly cheaper than the US's cheapest alternative of Oklahoma City at US$34 million. That sort of throw the idea that Toronto real estate is too expensive out the window.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,237,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
You couldn't sue if you lose but they certainly could if it is proven that Amazon had absolutely no intention of setting up in Canada from the very beginning and only said Canada for PR. Cities put a lot of money and effort into these proposals and if Canada was never even going to be considered they should not have asked for proposals. This is similar to how cities can get sued by companies when things {ie transit vehicles or road projects etc}} are put out to tender but the city secretly has absolutely no interest in anyone except the one they already were going to pick and the whole process was a publicity stunt.

My whole point is that Amazon knows this and therefore at least think that a Canadian location is viable. This of course doesn't mean it will go to Canada.
You are obviously not a lawyer, but you keep on going. When a company makes a requests for proposals, ("RFP") the proposal for consideration is voluntary on the part of the submitter, and there is no obligation really as far as consideration for a private corporation like Amazon to do anything but select the best choice they feel is in their best interest. They could request proposals from the moon and as long as they some how meet the criteria, they will be considered. You could sue, but it would go no place. When your example of govt. contracts that go out for bidding occur, there are criteria on the part of the govt. entity that must be met for the proposal, per regulation, since tax payer money is involved. There is no real obligation on the part of a private corporation to commit to anything as far as where they are going to put a headquarters.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM

I KNOW they are not under any obligation to offer the headquarters to any city as I clearly stated and that was not my point. My point was that clearly Amazon considered a Canadian location as a viable option because they requested proposals from US/Canadian cities. Cdn cities could only sue if Amazon had no intention of even considering Cdn cities from the beginning and it was just a PR stunt.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:16 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I KNOW they are not under any obligation to offer the headquarters to any city as I clearly stated and that was not my point. My point was that clearly Amazon considered a Canadian location as a viable option because they requested proposals from US/Canadian cities. Cdn cities could only sue if Amazon had no intention of even considering Cdn cities from the beginning and it was just a PR stunt.
PR stunt? I mean part of it may be to protect themselves. They sell around the world, so of course it would make sense to offer everyone a shot.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
No city's leadership is that stupid.

Maybe a politician doesn't get legal stuff and goes off emotionally. But their legal staff will stop them, or the alcohol will wear off before a case is actually filed.

On so many levels.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:36 PM

907 posts, read 1,789,448 times
Somewhere in AZ

Old 12-21-2017, 02:10 AM

If I was Amazon and was making the pick and wanted a US location I would definitely say Boston. Great schools, urbanity, walkability, transit, educated workforce, low crime, and a liberal and creative environment. It's only downfall maybe it's high wages but it basically has everything Amazon wants in spades. NYC has these attributes as well but I just don't think Amazon is interested in NYC.

Of course it also comes down to good old fashion corporate welfare and which city is going to stick their ass in the air for Bezos. Interestingly, Toronto didn't offer up one nickel of government money except special assistance for worker training. This is the way it should be done instead of this legalized bribery to a monstrous corporation that is already swimming in money and power.

Whatever city ends up winning I really hope that it was not one of the ones that are giving away their first born to land the headquarters but that's probably wishful thinking. Corporation decry the social welfare net but when it comes to welfare for their individual companies they are the first pigs at the trough.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:07 AM

13,595 posts, read 22,044,925 times
Since Atlanta is leading this poll—and has been leading it for a while—everyone should take a look at this poll and thread:

If Atlanta gets Amazon HQ2, where should it be located?

Please feel free to vote and comment.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:06 PM

10,803 posts, read 9,435,499 times
I voted Atlanta.

From a talent perspective it would make the most sense for Amazon HQ2 to locate in San Jose/SV. They won't do that because it's too close to HQ1.

From a logical perspective it would make sense to have HQ2 in Austin because most of the Whole Foods operations are here and the talent pool is strong.

From a travel perspective it would make sense to have HQ2 in Atlanta because of Hartsfield International Airport and access to Europe as well as daily non stops to all key NA cities.

A dark horse would be Pittsburgh (great universities and good QOL), Detroit would be a great PR move (Bezos could claim he "saved" the city), they could repair all the old factories and use as HQ2, it would revitalize lots of town, and New Orleans (Plaza Tower is 500,000 Sq ft) so you have a ready built skyscraper and New Orleans has a good streetcar/bus system and is very compact and walkable. I could foresee Amazon employees living a few blocks away in the various converted warehouses and simply walking to work. Also, they could probably get a really good deal from the Louisiana legislature.

I really think that Bezos has already picked out the city and this is the "run up" of incentives. He'll go to the city he really wants and says "you need to match so and so city..."

With all this I think Atlanta is in a good position to make a competitive bid for this. The mayor of Austin said that we won't get in a bidding war. So I pick Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or