U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM

10,772 posts, read 9,406,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What? Most of the city is back to normal like it was days after the storm.
Tell that to my sister. Although she is wealthy and had a house right on the bayou, she's still picking up the pieces of her life. She's renting an overpriced apartment and dealing with insurance companies and debating about whether to repair or rebuild.

She is lucky in that she has the resources, both her and her husband have high paying jobs in the oil industry and they had flood insurance. But I wonder what a person without flood insurance and a high paying job would do.

No, things are NOT back to normal.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM

1,678 posts, read 834,676 times
Everyone should know that cBach is a continous Houston basher and never has a positive thing to say about it. For most people in the Houston, things are pretty close to normal. You have to remember that most people remained dry and the newer developments escaped flooding (almost all neighborhoods built after the new codes went in in the 90s...excepting the idiot developers who built homes IN one of the reservoirs on the west side). For example, the neighborhood I grew up in had additions added to it in the early 00s (original neighborhood built in the 70s). The old sections had houses that flooded while the new sections had no flooded housing.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Everyone should know that cBach is a continous Houston basher and never has a positive thing to say about it. For most people in the Houston, things are pretty close to normal. You have to remember that most people remained dry and the newer developments escaped flooding (almost all neighborhoods built after the new codes went in in the 90s...excepting the idiot developers who built homes IN one of the reservoirs on the west side). For example, the neighborhood I grew up in had additions added to it in the early 00s (original neighborhood built in the 70s). The old sections had houses that flooded while the new sections had no flooded housing.
Sounds like Houston has a long ways to go....

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01...bout-recovery/

Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,221,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Tell that to my sister. Although she is wealthy and had a house right on the bayou, she's still picking up the pieces of her life. She's renting an overpriced apartment and dealing with insurance companies and debating about whether to repair or rebuild.

She is lucky in that she has the resources, both her and her husband have high paying jobs in the oil industry and they had flood insurance. But I wonder what a person without flood insurance and a high paying job would do.

No, things are NOT back to normal.
Just because your sister isn't back to normal doesn't paint the picture for the whole Houston. Thank you.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Just because your sister isn't back to normal doesn't paint the picture for the whole Houston. Thank you.
But this article does:

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01...bout-recovery/

Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You should read other posts. I posted this link, just a few minutes ago. You either didn't read my post, or thought you'd repost my link???

Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM

3,734 posts, read 3,846,240 times
There was an article in Fortune today about the fact that Amazon is in talks of leasing 500k sq ft office space in Boston (corresponding to Phase 1 of HQ2), which "hints" that it might be Boston.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 PM

2,128 posts, read 1,426,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
There was an article in Fortune today about the fact that Amazon is in talks of leasing 500k sq ft office space in Boston (corresponding to Phase 1 of HQ2), which "hints" that it might be Boston.

Yep,,, lol...

Amazon may have dropped a clue about its new headquarters

Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,421,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I always thought that, IF money were no object (as to the cost-of-living for their employees and the cost-of-doing-business for Amazon), then Boston, MA (i.e., wherever it is situated in the Boston, MA metro area) would be their ideal first choice from-the-start:

1. It has very extensive subway, streetcar, commuter rail, bus and ferry mass transit throughout and which operates nearly at all hours everyday except from around 1 AM to 5 AM.

2. It has an enormous stable of prospective employees on ALL levels of experience and skill and has a vast amount of colleges and universities providing all the high-calibre technical skills they need. And Boston is a world city (or the Boston Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area or CMSA is a world metro area) that can easily draw people to it from all over the U.S. and the world who would desire to live there.

3. It is on the East Coast (which Bezos may ideally prefer for having their second headquarters to be situated, instead of the Southwest or Midwest U.S. or even instead of an East Coast location that isn't exactly on the coast itself but rather inland such as the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hll, NC area or the Atlanta, GA area).

4. Its airport (Logan Airport) can very well serve Bezos and other Amazon-affiliated persons to take them anywhere domestically, continentally, and abroad.

and other advantages. I have thought, though, that Boston may well not be chosen because of its high cost of living and high cost-of-doing-business. But your news hints that, in the end, it is possible that its pros may outweigh its cons . . . and yet Amazon already has major facilities in Massachusetts, so this "500k sq ft office space in Boston" it is supposedly acquiring may or may not be related to Amazon choosing Boston for its second headquarters. They have others reasons to have facilities in Boston or Massachusetts besides for their second headquarters and already DO have such facilities now (for research and development, for distribution, et al).

Last edited by UsAll; 01-11-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I always thought that, IF money were no object (as to the cost-of-living for their employees and the cost-of-doing-business for Amazon), then Boston, MA (i.e., wherever it is situated in the Boston, MA metro area) would be their ideal first choice from-the-start:

1. It has very extensive subway, streetcar, commuter rail, bus and ferry mass transit throughout and which operates nearly at all hours everyday except from around 1 AM to 5 AM.

2. It has an enormous stable of prospective employees on ALL levels of experience and skill and has a vast amount of colleges and universities providing all the high-calibre technical skills they need. And Boston is a world city (or the Boston Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area or CMSA is a world metro area) that can easily draw people to it from all over the U.S. and the world who would desire to live there.

3. It is on the East Coast (which Bezos may ideally prefer for having their second headquarters to be situated, instead of the Southwest or Midwest U.S. or even instead of an East Coast location that isn't exactly on the coast itself but rather inland such as the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hll, NC area or the Atlanta, GA area).

4. Its airport (Logan Airport) can very well serve Bezos and other Amazon-affiliated persons to take them anywhere domestically, continentally, and abroad.

and other advantages. I have thought, though, that Boston may well not be chosen because of its high cost of living and high cost-of-doing-business. But your news hints that, in the end, it is possible that its pros may outweigh its cons . . . and yet Amazon already has major facilities in Massachusetts, so this "500k sq ft office space in Boston" it is supposedly acquiring may or may not be related to Amazon choosing Boston for its second headquarters. They have others reasons to have facilities in Boston or Massachusetts besides for their second headquarters and already DO have such facilities now (for research and development, for distribution, et al).
Well the thing is, Amazon is not just building their HQ2, that is part of it. The Alexa operations in Boston are quite profitable and are expanding. That is ALL that is up there.

Beantown would not be a good fit. Bezos wants to be given carte blanche to the city to be able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants. Southern cities are more likely to pony up for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or