U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2018, 08:12 PM
 
56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490

Advertisements

DC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TG_...&feature=share

Danbury CT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6u...&feature=share

Frisco TX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzt...&feature=share

 
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Canada
385 posts, read 215,354 times
Reputation: 474
I guess they are really expanding. Incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRk1iwD4ASI
 
Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
5,182 posts, read 3,714,381 times
Reputation: 6075
Am I the only one that rarely if ever uses Amazon? I probably order from them 2 to 3 times per year.

I realize AWS cloud business is huge, but other than that, I don't get all the hype?
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:14 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
There are going to be a lot of disappointed prognosticators, from the looks of this thread.
Well, there's one city that's supposed to get it and dozens of cities mentioned, so yea, that seems to be mathematically guaranteed.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Reputation: 11611
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Am I the only one that rarely if ever uses Amazon? I probably order from them 2 to 3 times per year.

I realize AWS cloud business is huge, but other than that, I don't get all the hype?
Because they are a really big company. Amazon also owns a lot of subsidiaries which you might have used. It's a big ol' corporate octopus at this point.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Colorado
390 posts, read 231,559 times
Reputation: 710
If Amazon actually chose a smaller metro, under 2 million, do you think it would end up being a positive for the locals? Or would absorbing that many people push up rents, over crowd highways and schools and services? Many of these communities already have substantial cultural amenities, the arts, museums, parks and green spaces so additional corporate support is not really needed for those. I wonder if it would make life worse for the locals?
 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM
 
56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
If Amazon actually chose a smaller metro, under 2 million, do you think it would end up being a positive for the locals? Or would absorbing that many people push up rents, over crowd highways and schools and services? Many of these communities already have substantial cultural amenities, the arts, museums, parks and green spaces so additional corporate support is not really needed for those. I wonder if it would make life worse for the locals?
I think it would depend on the metro. I think this is another area "Rust Belt" areas that fit the population may actually have an advantage, as they are built to hold more people than they currently have. So, it may be more of a matter of improving current infrastructure versus building more infrastructure for the influx of people.

On the flipside, it will likely increase the cost of living. It would be interesting if that would be the case for the areas I'm referring to due to the reasons already mentioned.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
2,958 posts, read 3,817,736 times
Reputation: 3281
So this is complete rumor and hearsay based so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. So my girlfriend is friends with a gal who nannies for a hyper wealthy family that is well connected with other high wealth Seattle-area families. This nanny and the mother told my girlfriend that Amazon folks mentioned that they view their HQ2 placement as a huge “gift” to the region they select and also that they have no interest in “gifting” conservative regions which support discriminatory policies, either political or social. So basically, what this family divined from what they heard is that a likely HQ2 placement will probably be in a very liberal or at least moderate region, and that Amazon will basically “invest” in a region that they support for political reasons.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 AM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,534,811 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it would depend on the metro. I think this is another area "Rust Belt" areas that fit the population may actually have an advantage, as they are built to hold more people than they currently have. So, it may be more of a matter of improving current infrastructure versus building more infrastructure for the influx of people.

On the flipside, it will likely increase the cost of living. It would be interesting if that would be the case for the areas I'm referring to due to the reasons already mentioned.
Depends on how big the city is, Buffalo where 50,000 jobs is like 12% of the total job market? Yes, Detroit where it's 2-3%? Not much change, Chicago where it's 1%? No difference.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM
 
56,539 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Depends on how big the city is, Buffalo where 50,000 jobs is like 12% of the total job market? Yes, Detroit where it's 2-3%? Not much change, Chicago where it's 1%? No difference.
Even with Buffalo, it is an area that is built to hold more people, which it did a few decades ago. So, even with the big boost, the influx may not be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top