U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,128 posts, read 1,426,173 times
Reputation: 1609

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But what do they really have to offer other than locations near Metro? PG County doesn't really have any vibrant urban business districts. Not that Amazon couldn't have build one from scratch near a Metro station office district.

I was really hoping Baltimore would have been short listed too.

I really think most of these cities are just wishful thinking though. I can't see them going to Nashville, Raleigh, Columbus etc. I think they will end up in Boston, DC, Atlanta or Toronto.


When it comes down to it, even though it's not my favorite of the picks, I think it will be Boston. To be honest, I'm not all that surprised by Nashville on this list though. I kinda see it as Nashville being a Fresh Growing city Amazon can grow with, nevermind the Transit.. Reason being, if this Amazon campus is built in Nashville it gives them a way of somewhat molding the way they want the Transit to be around them and kinda how it connects to parts of the City. You have to understand getting this Campus going isn't going to happen over night, just like building rail lines. Most of the other cities have transit lines in place, Nashville will be starting on getting light rail in place this year! It's Genius actually.. Choose the under dog with a lot of Potential and Surprise every one.. It's funny though, Nashville seems to be very low key with there talks about Amazon, they don't seem to boast much.

 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM
 
4,011 posts, read 2,524,796 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Andrews View Post
And this is exactly why my top contenders are Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, and Dallas. Amazon will not only need tech talent, but other smart people for the other roles at HQ2 (e.g., legal staff, human resources, finance). To me, regional satellite cities like Raleigh, Indy, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Nashville are a very hard sale to new hires who are relocating, whether they are 22 and just out of college or 45 and relocating their families. High cost of living cities like Boston, New York (Newark), D.C. (DMV) and Philly similarly seem like a non-starter. Why pay $225K for a senior in house lawyer in New York when you can pay her $160K in Austin or Atlanta? And while that new finance hire may just love being in a bustling city like NYC at 22, by 30 she’s probably married, wants space for her growing family, and wants to see her money go further. What’s that saying for NYC – you either have to be young, rich, or from there?

That leaves Los Angeles (which I think is too geographically close to Seattle to make sense), Toronto (which I think could be a PR nightmare given we really need more US jobs), Denver (too geographically close still I think), and Miami (for which I have no real reason to exclude save the fact that it doesn’t strike me as a city you put your HQ in).

Candidly, I think it’s between Austin and Atlanta. And I also think Amazon has already narrowed the decision to 3-5 candidates and that many of these cities are frankly filler to keep us talking.
I wish there was a chart stating what these positions would cost Amazon in total in each of those cities annually
 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM
 
5,261 posts, read 3,309,355 times
Reputation: 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Most of the other cities have transit lines in place, Nashville will be starting on getting light rail in place this year! It's Genius actually.. Choose the under dog with a lot of Potential and Surprise every one.. It's funny though, Nashville seems to be very low key with there talks about Amazon, they don't seem to boast much.
I thought the Music City was still deciding on whether to put the tax increase, which will pay for the new light rail, on the ballet in May? What happens if the voters say no to higher taxes, will the city still go through with its transit plan?
 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,883 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Reputation: 7097
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Miami is a seemingly odd choice, but it might have been helped by being a potential de facto Latin American and Caribbean headquarters.
Not to mention the Jeff Bezos grew up in Miami and graduated from high school there so he know the area well.
 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM
 
Location: SoCal
460 posts, read 720,594 times
Reputation: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There are some big exceptions though. No Houston or Phoenix for example.

Thinking about it more, I'm wondering if Miami and LA were included mostly in an attempt to "geographically balance" the list. They're not known for having a deep talent pool in these areas.

If Indy was added to try to balance the list/provide more Midwest candidates, I'm really shocked that Minneapolis didn't get into the list.
Depending on what kind of talent pool you're referring to...but what in the world are you saying?

LA is one of the leading tech hubs in the country. More engineers than anywhere else in the country. One of the largest business service areas in the country. Cal Tech? USC? UCLA? UCI? Harvey Mudd College?
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 PM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 932,490 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The list doesn’t really surprise me; it’s literally just a list of (mostly) the biggest cities across the country.
Spoken little a true American. Don't you mean a list of {mostly} the biggest cities across the continent?
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,779 posts, read 9,406,760 times
Reputation: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Spoken little a true American. Don't you mean a list of {mostly} the biggest cities across the continent?
With a glaring omission of Houston. Anyone want to speculate why Houston was eliminated? Was it because of threats from future flooding?
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Andrews View Post
And this is exactly why my top contenders are Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, and Dallas. Amazon will not only need tech talent, but other smart people for the other roles at HQ2 (e.g., legal staff, human resources, finance). To me, regional satellite cities like Raleigh, Indy, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Nashville are a very hard sale to new hires who are relocating, whether they are 22 and just out of college or 45 and relocating their families. High cost of living cities like Boston, New York (Newark), D.C. (DMV) and Philly similarly seem like a non-starter. Why pay $225K for a senior in house lawyer in New York when you can pay her $160K in Austin or Atlanta? And while that new finance hire may just love being in a bustling city like NYC at 22, by 30 she’s probably married, wants space for her growing family, and wants to see her money go further. What’s that saying for NYC – you either have to be young, rich, or from there?

That leaves Los Angeles (which I think is too geographically close to Seattle to make sense), Toronto (which I think could be a PR nightmare given we really need more US jobs), Denver (too geographically close still I think), and Miami (for which I have no real reason to exclude save the fact that it doesn’t strike me as a city you put your HQ in).

Candidly, I think it’s between Austin and Atlanta. And I also think Amazon has already narrowed the decision to 3-5 candidates and that many of these cities are frankly filler to keep us talking.
I suppose Philly has the reputation of being a high cost of living city because it's a major Northern metro but it's actually relatively affordable for a big city.
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,448 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Reputation: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Andrews View Post
High cost of living cities like Boston, New York (Newark), D.C. (DMV) and Philly similarly seem like a non-starter. Why pay $225K for a senior in house lawyer in New York when you can pay her $160K in Austin or Atlanta?
Just a nit that Philly COL is far more comparable to Austin, Atlanta, Dallas and Chicago, as opposed to the other Northeast Corridor cities. That's a primary reason it has such a competitive advantage--it excels on cost and regional location for the purpose of a deep talent pool.
 
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Set your sights on Apple, Jacksonville. Never give up!
LOL. Based on the little that we know I imagine we will. Perhaps with slightly better than 1% odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Once again, they had separate bids because of state politics.

Every metro had several locations in their bid. If they had been separate, you might see 2 Dallas locations, or Atlanta or Chicago etc.
There were 2 bids out of the Dallas metro. 1) Dallas-Ft Worth (which presumably had several proposed sites throughout the metro) and 2) Frisco (with their infamous video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Are we assuming this or was this stated somewhere? I don't see why they wouldnt list Cambridge separate from Boston if they submitted separate bids and vice versa just say DC Metro if the whole area was in consideration.
Boston metro submitted 12 separate bids!! For anyone wanting to check who the 238 respondents were:

https://qz.com/1119945/a-nearly-comp...-headquarters/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top