U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:24 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,982,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
TIL Philly is a high COL city like Boston, New York, and DC.
I thought Philly is substantially more affordable than the other 3?

Old 01-18-2018, 02:25 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I thought Philly is substantially more affordable than the other 3?
It sure is! Philly is such a bargain for the corridor. Great city with relatively affordable costs.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It sure is! Philly is such a bargain for the corridor. Great city with relatively affordable costs.
Hidden gem, imo. Too bad I have no reason to live there....for now.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,190,791 times
Majority of Atlanta tech is in northern suburbs surrounded by gated communities and Downtown Atlanta is ghost town

Old 01-18-2018, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 8,009 times
I stand corrected on Philly! I’ve lived in New York, Boston and DC and those are all absurdly expensive. I just assumed Philly was too because it’s nearby.

So add Philly to my “I don’t think it will be this city, but I don’t have a good reason why” list.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,190,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Andrews View Post
I stand corrected on Philly! I’ve lived in New York, Boston and DC and those are all absurdly expensive. I just assumed Philly was too because it’s nearby.

So add Philly to my “I don’t think it will be this city, but I don’t have a good reason why” list.
Philly does have great airport and subway infrastructure along with vibrant Center City downtown area, great colleges nearby. North Philly, Chester, Wilmington Delaware, Camden is problem

Old 01-18-2018, 02:41 PM

23,075 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Majority of Atlanta tech is in northern suburbs surrounded by gated communities and Downtown Atlanta is ghost town
Apparently its been a long time since you've been to downtown Atlanta, if you ever have. For starters, it's at the confluence of three large university campuses (Georgia State University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta University). It's home to a host of museums, Mercedes-Benz Stadium and Philips Arena. In terms of development, it's a house afire: Underground Atlanta, South Downtown, Casselberry Hill are all in play right now.
There is also a sizable tech community (Tech Square) adjacent to GT in nearby Midtown.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,799 times
Atlanta is my guess then Austin TX, when do they officially make a selection?

Old 01-18-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Andrews View Post
I stand corrected on Philly! Iíve lived in New York, Boston and DC and those are all absurdly expensive. I just assumed Philly was too because itís nearby.

So add Philly to my ďI donít think it will be this city, but I donít have a good reason whyĒ list.
To me, Philly and Chicago check all of my boxes, but my boxes may be different than Amazon.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:28 PM

4,457 posts, read 7,523,622 times
Interesting perspective given the news of the shortlist:

Amazon's real estate chief leans toward urban campuses

Quote:
Amazon has narrowed its list of potential sites for its second headquarters to 20 metro areas, heightening competition among the remaining candidates to negotiate a deal to Amazon’s liking.

A recent conversation with Amazon real estate chief John Schoettler suggests the company's HQ2 site may be urban.

Schoettler sited and built the Seattle headquarters in South Lake Union and downtown and has been by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' side as they built their high-rise towers.

Bezos told Schoettler the South Lake Union site had “soul” when he saw it.

Schoettler said he enjoys the built environment, a preference reflected in his decision to build an urban campus in the formerly industrial neighborhood.

Schoettler declined to discuss the HQ2 project with me, but several of the proposed sites in and around downtown Boston exemplify the qualities Schoettler and Bezos saw in Seattle.

"They want to be in these certain kinds of places that have culture, art, density, housing and small businesses," former Seattle City Planner Marshall Foster said about Amazon. "They really invest in a kind of quality of place."

Other cities on the Amazon’s list of 20 finalists that pitched urban campuses include Chicago, New York City and Philadelphia. Suburban campuses include Dallas and Austin. Other cities like Denver and Atlanta submitted a mix of urban and suburban options.

Amazon said it wants to invest $5 billion and hire up to 50,000 workers for the campus.

Pitting potential sites against each other is a hallmark of Amazon’s strategy to strike the best deal for real estate projects. Amazon used the tactic to elicit more than $1.24 billion in subsidies from state and local governments to help build out its massive U.S. fulfillment and delivery network.

Amazon’s list of 20 finalists may play into this approach. Clustering nearby cities like Newark and New York, three sites around Washington D.C.; and Dallas and Austin may be aimed more at pushing candidate Amazon is really considering in each area to ward off local competition by offering deeper incentives and subsidies.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ard-urban.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or