U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:59 AM

22,174 posts, read 23,705,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I will clarify my earlier post. Indeed, Austin is the leading contender, and there are a number of reasons why. First, it has a high-tech climate, 2nd, it has the U of Texas. 3rd, there is no sales tax. 4th, Jeff Bezos has a history in the area, 5th, it fits all criteria listed in their scouting report.

This decision, as I understand it, will not be soon as the company is still scouting other locations. However, mark my words, my prediction is, again, Austin.
Austin having pretty terrible transit is the only part that doesn't seem to fit.

Cleveland, oddly enough, can fit all of it to a T. As can Chicago, St. Louis and Baltimore. Or Newark.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 AM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Detroit should get this. It would be really good for them too.
I agree, because it is big enough and have the land space to "absorb" this. Amazon wouldn't be the only major company in the area, but all the while helping to accelerate the redevelopment process of the city and the area has the talent, work ethic and institutions in order for the move to be successful.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:35 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,956,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
From CNBC:

That rules out Atlanta immediately. Sorely lacking in mass transit and higher education comparatively speaking. I think it would come down to Philly, Chicago, Boston. New York and SF are too expensive and oversaturated. Solid business climate is negotiable with tax incentives.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/here...dquarters.html
Atlanta has GA Tech, which is one of the most prestigious tech schools in the nation(and the world) and produces highly talented graduates that go to companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, and the likes. Atlanta itself is about 50% bachelor's degree or higher so I'm not how it's lacking in higher education.

GA Tech could be a major reason why it chooses Atlanta. Aren't too many cities in the states that have prestigious TECH schools within the city itself.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:04 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just read Amazon's RFP and this stood out to me:

Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and
Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration.

Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Any airport with gate space in the US could add that service in 5 minutes. Not a factor.

Not that simple. Air space is capped by the FAA along with routes, so airlines can't just swoop in when they feel like it. Detroit International Airport is a major Delta hub with nonstop service to all four cities mentioned, has five international carriers currently serving (Air Canada, Air France, Lufthansa, AeroMexico and Royal Jordanian) plus international service/partnerships with Delta, American and United. Detroit Metropolitan Airport > Home

Old 09-08-2017, 06:14 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta has GA Tech, which is one of the most prestigious tech schools in the nation(and the world) and produces highly talented graduates that go to companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, and the likes. Atlanta itself is about 50% bachelor's degree or higher so I'm not how it's lacking in higher education.

GA Tech could be a major reason why it chooses Atlanta. Aren't too many cities in the states that have prestigious TECH schools within the city itself.
We, Boston and Pittsburgh have the edge here. Add to that the fact that Georgia Tech is already well integrated into the business community in Atlanta.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:50 AM

191 posts, read 169,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander.225 View Post
Chicago has 2.5 million sqft in the form of the old Post Office site. And the renovations will be done by 2019 which is when Amazon wants the initial 500k.

In fact the PO site fits all of their requirements. Both in terms of initial takeover and expansion through 2026
Love this idea. It would be poetic in away...the reason the old Chicago Main Post Office was so large (the largest building by square feet in the world at one time) was because it was the hub for Sears Roebuck & Company's massive catalog mail order business back in the early 20th century. Amazon is, essentially, what Sears was 100 years ago. Taking over that building makes perfect sense. It has history, it's downtown, excellent access to transit, and COL is cheap in Chicago compared to coastal cities. This would be cool.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:02 AM

191 posts, read 169,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I will clarify my earlier post. Indeed, Austin is the leading contender, and there are a number of reasons why. First, it has a high-tech climate, 2nd, it has the U of Texas. 3rd, there is no sales tax. 4th, Jeff Bezos has a history in the area, 5th, it fits all criteria listed in their scouting report.

This decision, as I understand it, will not be soon as the company is still scouting other locations. However, mark my words, my prediction is, again, Austin.
Last I checked, there IS a sales tax in TX. They don't have a state income tax in TX, but their property taxes are brutal. I come out WAY ahead tax-wise living in a state with a low state income tax and property taxes capped at 1% of assessed value. And don't mention renters...the ridiculous property taxes are passed on to them, whether they chose to admit it or not.

The notion that TX is a tax haven is a myth. They get you one way or the other.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 AM

4,866 posts, read 2,995,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
He's referencing the part noted in the RFP regarding the below.

5. Logistics. Amazon is first and foremost a master of logistics, so it should come as no surprise that the company cares a lot about transportation. Amazon wants on-site access to mass transit—train, subway, or bus—and to be no more than one or two miles from major highways and connecting roads. It wants to be within 45 minutes of an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, the San Francisco Bay area, and Washington DC. The company is also asking applicants to identify “all transit options, including bike lanes and pedestrian access” for the proposed site and to rank traffic congestion during peak commuting hours.
This will knock Austin out, imo.

Minneapolis could be a dark horse.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:06 AM

766 posts, read 2,270,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Love this idea. It would be poetic in away...the reason the old Chicago Main Post Office was so large (the largest building by square feet in the world at one time) was because it was the hub for Sears Roebuck & Company's massive catalog mail order business back in the early 20th century. Amazon is, essentially, what Sears was 100 years ago. Taking over that building makes perfect sense. It has history, it's downtown, excellent access to transit, and COL is cheap in Chicago compared to coastal cities. This would be cool.
Yes, the old Chicago Main Post Office is definitely the perfect location on paper: huge square footage with the open floor plates that tech companies like (similar to what you'd see with converted warehouse loft office space), about as central of a location as you can get transportation-wise with every CTA and Metra line within a short walking distance (including the adjacent CTA Blue Line that goes to O'Hare) and literally *above* the Eisenhower Expressway with an adjacent exit that immediately connects to the Chicago Circle interchange that can take you in any direction in the Chicago area, and additional adjacent land that allows for further expansion. I've seen some other Chicago sites proposed (such as the old Finkl factory site near Lincoln Park or the former Michael Reese Hospital site that's south of McCormick Place), but the Post Office site effectively has everything that Amazon needs and then some on paper. My only concern is that the Post Office has been the subject of many tantalizing project proposals before and they've never come to fruition, so that's a place where I won't trust anything until it's actually signed, sealed and delivered.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I think a lot of people have glossed over this very specific requirement in the actual Amazon RFP (not just guessing about what they're looking for here). They want *on-site* access to mass transit. In terms of well-developed mass transit systems, that favors places like NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, DC and San Francisco. Chicago and Philly have substantially lower real estate costs than the others but still provide much of the cultural environment and mass transit that Amazon has explicitly asked for, so those are big pluses on their end. In the case of incentives, Illinois actually has a long history of being pretty aggressive on that front in spite of its overall fiscal state (as incentives and state government health aren't one and the same). Both of those cities also have strong international airport connections and access to top tier university talent (the Big Ten universities in close proximity to Chicago and the Ivy League universities in close proximity to Philly). Chicago's logistics advantage is that it's in the middle of the country, so it provides good access to both coasts, while Philly's logistics advantage is that it's in the heart of the Northeast DC/Baltimore/Philly/NYC/Boston corridor. I'd personally put Chicago as the front-runner (more on the history of incentives and its headquarters city reputation) and Philly is a very strong #2.

On the flip side, the mass transit requirement is a large negative for many Sun Belt locales like Dallas and Charlotte along with most of the non-Chicago Rust Belt markets like Detroit and Pittsburgh. Atlanta theoretically has the transit system bones to possibly deliver on this requirement, but it doesn't have anywhere near the options of locations that Chicago or Philly could offer.
Actually Dallas and Charlotte would be among the best cities for rail transit in particular in the Sunbelt. Dallas has the largest LRT system in the country and Charlotte is expanding its light rail system as we speak. No it's not heavy rail, but Seattle doesn't have HRT either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
From CNBC:

That rules out Atlanta immediately. Sorely lacking in mass transit and higher education comparatively speaking. I think it would come down to Philly, Chicago, Boston. New York and SF are too expensive and oversaturated. Solid business climate is negotiable with tax incentives.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/here...dquarters.html
You've gotta be kidding me. GA Tech and Emory are great schools, and a company like Amazon values diversity which certainly makes the AUC, particularly Morehouse and Spelman, a great asset. And while MARTA isn't the most expansive HRT system, it is the 8th busiest transit system in the country and an expansion was recently approved by voters. Atlanta would certainly be in play for this HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or