U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 AM

459 posts, read 342,556 times

Advertisements

You forgot Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Louisville. All of which would be great. Delta controls Atlanta and something tells me that Amazon would prefer to be the "alpha" company in the city that they choose. With Birmingham being more than centralized regionally, Huntsville (technology) to the North and Mobile's future Amazon distribution center to the South, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Birmingham. Personally, I think they'll go with Nashville or Charlotte.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,152,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
All Philadelphia has to do is show Amazon the marketing videos for Schuylkill Yards:
Schuylkill Yards - Where Ideas Converge

And the 30th Street Station District:

...literally EVERYTHING they're looking for and more, wrapped up into two videos.

#AmazonYardsPhiladelphia
Love Philly the most since I grew up and lived 20 mins away for 39 years. 2 hours to NY and DC, big 5 colleges, and a major airport.

I just hope the wage tax doesn't come into play. Millenials are heading south because of the growth opportunities and less taxes. Less taxes is not Philly or NJ, that's for sure. Maybe Amazon won't care, who knows.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,152,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
You forgot Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Louisville. All of which would be great. Delta controls Atlanta and something tells me that Amazon would prefer to be the "alpha" company in the city that they choose. With Birmingham being more than centralized regionally, Huntsville (technology) to the North and Mobile's future Amazon distribution center to the South, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Birmingham. Personally, I think they'll go with Nashville or Charlotte.
I wouldn't be surprised with Charlotte.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:17 AM

5,569 posts, read 3,716,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Delta has a hub in Seattle, FWIT. Just sayin'. How this might fit in is unknown, but it sounds they are looking for both a culture that is similar to Seattle, plus great air transport.

Here is my lineup as of tonight:

1. Austin, TX
2. DC/NOVA/MD
3. Atlanta
4. Chicago
5. Boston

But Austin is the odds on favorite because it meets most criteria, and Bezos has a history in this part of Texas. And Whole Foods. And no state income tax.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:14 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,378,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta has GA Tech, which is one of the most prestigious tech schools in the nation(and the world) and produces highly talented graduates that go to companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, and the likes. Atlanta itself is about 50% bachelor's degree or higher so I'm not how it's lacking in higher education.

GA Tech could be a major reason why it chooses Atlanta. Aren't too many cities in the states that have prestigious TECH schools within the city itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually Dallas and Charlotte would be among the best cities for rail transit in particular in the Sunbelt. Dallas has the largest LRT system in the country and Charlotte is expanding its light rail system as we speak. No it's not heavy rail, but Seattle doesn't have HRT either.

You've gotta be kidding me. GA Tech and Emory are great schools, and a company like Amazon values diversity which certainly makes the AUC, particularly Morehouse and Spelman, a great asset. And while MARTA isn't the most expansive HRT system, it is the 8th busiest transit system in the country and an expansion was recently approved by voters. Atlanta would certainly be in play for this HQ.
All good points but keep in mind Chicago has a huge sphere of influence. Much larger than Atlanta. You have schools like UIUC, Purdue, U Michigan and U Wisconsin that all feed into Chicago. Chicago draws from a very deep talent pool and perseveres in attracting top tech talent in a large way.

I will admit that I had prematurely dismissed Atlanta. It checks a lot of boxes. But I still believe Chicago has not only the infrastructure but the culture Amazon wants. Plus it is in a blue state. Does the owner of the Washington Post want to deal with socially conservative state politics?

Last edited by Bluefox; 09-09-2017 at 01:26 AM..

Old 09-09-2017, 01:41 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,949,141 times
Amazon could very well be a part of the revival of the rust belt. Detroit would be a good candidate for its new headquarters. Other cities that need investments are Flint and Gary. Amazon could really turn those cities around.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:51 AM

18,610 posts, read 9,618,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Do you mean commercial development sites? Office property values? Office rents? Apartment rents? House sale prices? Condo sale prices? All will have different trajectories.
I was referring to buying residential property but it goes for everything you mentioned as well but yes, different trajectories for each.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 AM

706 posts, read 514,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This is going to go somewhere with the following qualities:
-growing population
-relatively young/diverse demographics
-strong educational/tech background
-strong distribution capabilities
-lower business costs
-cheap land
-And no natural disasters

At least that's how ABQ is marketing themselves to Amazon

Old 09-09-2017, 03:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,885,896 times
I honestly think Toronto will end up being the winner.

This is not to say that other cities don't have excellent qualities; they do. But, I think Bezos' bigger issue is of a geopolitical nature: he is not sympatico with the current administration and Trump has a propensity for going after people he feels do not show sufficient fealty to him. Trump has openly talked about breaking up Amazon.

I think Toronto gets picked to give Amazon a headquarters outside of the US, away from Trump's influence. It gives Bezos some breathing room to hedge his bets in case Trump really goes after him in the US.

It also helps that Toronto has a moderate local and national government, is close to the East Coast, and has the urban environment that Bezos tends to like.

Those are my thoughts on the situation.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:38 AM

998 posts, read 884,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yelp is creating their East Coast center in DC and Nestle is relocating to Arlington. I think DC has a good chance especially with any policy pushes . Plus Bezos has a house in Kalorama.
This. In the last ten years Hilton Worldwide, VW North America, McDonnell/Douglas, Northrup/Grumman, Nestle and a host of other high profile relocations have settled in NOVA, which is on fire right now. Other considerations, the Metro Silver line to Dulles (now under construction), proximity to DC, millenial nirvana in Arlington, Shirlington, Dulles, Reston, Jeff's abode in Kalorama, and the ongoing reconfiguration of Tyson's into a transit oriented super downtown. NOVA is first or very near the top in income and educational attainment in the US and the built in amenities suitable for incomes beginning in the six figures (as stated by Amazon), are prevalent. Two hours to beaches, 1.5 hours to mountains, 300 wineries statewide, the largest craft distillery scene in the country, oyster trails, topographical beauty, and one of three NASA orbital flight centers in the US (others are in CA and FL) are some of the intangibles radiating out from NOVA.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 09-09-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or