U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 PM

5,182 posts, read 3,714,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I heard that New Orleans may be the sleeper city.
New Orleans is a non-starter. It's bad enough to be in the potential path of Hurricanes, but to be in the path of Hurricanes and be below sea level is just nuts for an Internet behemoth like Amazon. In New Orleans, It's not "if" another massive Hurricane will strike, it's when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That would be a terrible idea! From a longer-term business standpoint, it would be a terrible investment to locate in a hurricane corridor.

Toronto's on the list. (Amazon's, not the OP's.) That sounds like one of the best options.
I doubt they'll locate outside the US. They'll want hassle free travel/transfers between locations and dealing with passports and citizenship issues would be a serious drag given the numbers of employees.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Nawlins is a non starter. It's bad enough to be in the potential path of hurricanes, but to be in the path of Hurricanes and be below sea level is just nuts for an Internet behemoth like Amazon.

I doubt they'll locate outside the US. They'll want hassle free travel/transfers between locations and dealing with passports and citizenship issues would be a serious drag given the numbers of employees.
Better not be on the East Coast at all then, given that New Jersey and New York City had a hurricane not too long ago. I believe it started with an S?

Old 09-09-2017, 01:11 PM

472 posts, read 272,314 times
Anything is possible but I think they'll put in the eastern time zone and could locate it somewhere between NY and Philly. It'll be interesting!

Old 09-09-2017, 01:34 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Cities whose leaders can help secure and ALREADY PREPARED in presentations TALKING to Amazon already? Would be in the lead for consideration. Also multiple prospective locations Core to suburban. 100-acre sight sought... would basically be suburban? That much needed is really not required.

If a faster relocation then from scratch is sought?

I've seen Chicago's old Post Office currently in renovation --- would be move in ready by Spring 2019. If Amazon wanted it FASTEST? That is a good candidate with areas to expand next door and room to add a high-rise, being right in its downtown in the shadow of the Willis (Sears) Tower.

Location is next to Union Station- for Suburban trains Union Station, the biggest of all stops, is home to, Milwaukee District North (MD-N), North Central Service (NCS), Milwaukee District West (MD-W), BNSF Railway (BNSF), Heritage Corridor (HC) and SouthWest Service (SWS). It reaches in all directions. Literally.

Near to Ogilvie Transportation Center Station - is the end for Union Pacific North (UP-N), Union Pacific Northwest (UP-NW), and Union Pacific West (UP-W). These trains come from the far North and Northwest suburbs, even passing the suburbs up and going into the wild territories of Kenosha, WI

Near the Blue line L - train to O'Hare airport.

Former Post Office building is built over a Expressway to Midway Airport and by a connection to the other expressway to O'Hare. ROLLING OUT THE CORPORATE WELFARE PACKAGES WILL BE NESSESARY BY ALL CITIES....

Other locations near Chicago's Core are also in the running it seems. Chicago was king of Catalog Mail Order retailing with Montgomery Ward and Sears and Amazon is King of online mail ordering today. The THRONE is there .... LOL.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:03 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,460,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Better not be on the East Coast at all then, given that New Jersey and New York City had a hurricane not too long ago. I believe it started with an S?
Technically a tropical storm. But regardless, the odds of the northeast getting a major hurricane are way way way less than New Orleans. But I would think that would be less of a consideration for this, than New Orelans not being known for technology or having strong enough college talent. It is also a pretty small city / metro.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:05 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,199,984 times
Long shot admittedly, and not on the OPs checklist:

Buffalo
- Metro wise >1M, + part of Golden Horseshoe w/Toronto up to 9M population
- immediate access to US and largest Canadian markets - international access without locating in Canada
- equidistant between Chicago and NYC, covering over >50M people within less than 1 day drive
- Generous NYS and Buffalo Billion subsidies available, used to recently gain Tesla, Yahoo, others
- BNIA and relatively close Toronto Pearson for access, along with Amtrak, VIA Rail, Toronto GO, expanding Buffalo Metro Rail
- SUNY Buffalo flagship campus undergoing expansion, draw from local and other upstate NY schools (U of R, RIT, Cornell, etc) and Canadian Universities (U of Toronto, York, McMaster, Brock)
- SUNY Buffalo in the top 20 schools US attracting international students
- lower professional salaries (thus cost) than most other cities
- lower cost of living than top cities
- Climate - low cooling degree days for better locating data centers/servers (Yahoo, Verizon, BlackRock already here)
- access to 100% local low-cost renewable energy power - Hydro (Niagara) (low cost state sponsor), Wind (Steel Winds), Solar (Steel Sun)
- immediate access available for up to 1M sq ft former HSBC NA HQ building (currently undergoing upgrades) located on existing high-speed data hub downtown
- recent rapid downtown redevelopment, rapidly gentrifying inner city, with nearby adjacent downtown development sites available adjacant to HSBC bldg located on rail lines (Cobblestone, Seneca corridor, Larkinville)
- other options are greenfield sites (Amherst new end of proposed Metro expansion), Lockport (near Yahoo and Verizon servers), or ready for development brownfield sites (Lackawanna, Outer Harbor) if campus environment is desired
- 2nd airport availability (Niagara Falls) for long-distance charter, cargo or other use if needed
- multiple entertainment and full 4-season recreational options (boating, fishing, swimming, skating, skiing), major league and minor-league sports, etc
- Buffalo is #4 on the list of least likely to suffer a disaster (snow is not a disaster)

There are some minuses, primarily NY tax and business climate (which NYS would gladly work a deal) but evaluating the broader WNY/Canada Niagara Region, rather than just the smaller Buffalo Metro, provides a more complete picture and balance against the larger metros.

Last edited by RocketSci; 09-09-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 02:20 PM

5,182 posts, read 3,714,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
- Buffalo is #4 on the list of least likely to suffer a disaster (snow is not a disaster)
Nice write up and I agree, snow is not a disaster, but a joy! I spent some time in Buffalo many moons ago and really enjoyed it there. Buffalo has lots of character and lots of good people too. Niagra Falls in January is a sight to see! Would be happy to see Buffalo take the prize, but I agree, it's a long shot.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:33 PM

512 posts, read 376,779 times
If they are serious about transport they will need to go to a larger city like Chicago, DC, NY etc. There are many good mid-tier cities like Austin or Raleigh. But these don't have a serious transportation network. Actually the entire south is basically devoid of any good public transportation.

I would pick probably Chicago or maybe Toronto out of the larger cities. People think badly of Chicago, but the problems are really only in the south-side, or very confined to a few neighborhoods. The rest of Chi-town, especially the business centers are seeming to do well.

If I went mid-tier, it would be between Austin most likely, Whole Foods is already there. Texas is fast growing, it doesn't have the same proximity to the coast and flooding problems. Not a bad spot at all I think.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Actually the entire south is basically devoid of any good public transportation.
Atlanta was MARTA, 47.6 miles of heavy rail and Dallas has DART, 93 miles of light rail, the largest light rail system in the US.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:22 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,320,280 times
Medium to large IMO:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Toronto
4. Washington D.C.
5. Dallas
6. Atlanta
7. San Francisco
8. Boston
9. Denver

If they want to go small then IMO;

1. Austin
2. Raleigh
3. Salt Lake City
4. Nashville

I think the limited supply of housing and cost overruns disrupt San Francisco's chances some. We'll see though.

This thing will probably play out for at least 6 months to 1 year, right?

Not a fan of this Amazon thing though, providing corporate welfare is a dogs fate. Can't wait to see which city is suckered into doing just that. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or