U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:29 PM

596 posts, read 675,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I think the sad reality is that, just as is typical of professional sports franchises, other types of businesses recognize that the more bidders they can engage in a development proposition, the better the deal they can get. Ultimately, I have little doubt that the primary consideration will be the incentive package that is offered.
I think your sports analogy is a good one. I can't believe how excited I am over this game Amazon is playing. This is so much more interesting to me than bidding to be the host city for the Olympics.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,234,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Cities whose leaders can help secure and ALREADY PREPARED in presentations TALKING to Amazon already? Would be in the lead for consideration. Also multiple prospective locations Core to suburban. 100-acre sight sought... would basically be suburban? That much needed is really not required.

If a faster relocation then from scratch is sought?

I've seen Chicago's old Post Office currently in renovation --- would be move in ready by Spring 2019. If Amazon wanted it FASTEST? That is a good candidate with areas to expand next door and room to add a high-rise, being right in its downtown in the shadow of the Willis (Sears) Tower.

Location is next to Union Station- for Suburban trains Union Station, the biggest of all stops, is home to, Milwaukee District North (MD-N), North Central Service (NCS), Milwaukee District West (MD-W), BNSF Railway (BNSF), Heritage Corridor (HC) and SouthWest Service (SWS). It reaches in all directions. Literally.

Near to Ogilvie Transportation Center Station - is the end for Union Pacific North (UP-N), Union Pacific Northwest (UP-NW), and Union Pacific West (UP-W). These trains come from the far North and Northwest suburbs, even passing the suburbs up and going into the wild territories of Kenosha, WI

Near the Blue line L - train to O'Hare airport.

Former Post Office building is built over a Expressway to Midway Airport and by a connection to the other expressway to O'Hare. ROLLING OUT THE CORPORATE WELFARE PACKAGES WILL BE NESSESARY BY ALL CITIES....

Other locations near Chicago's Core are also in the running it seems. Chicago was king of Catalog Mail Order retailing with Montgomery Ward and Sears and Amazon is King of online mail ordering today. The THRONE is there .... LOL.
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) Boeing
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) ConAgra
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) Amazon

There is a reason that Boeing went from Seattle to Chicago, Location and central to transportation in a city that is world class as well as other factors. Same factors will be in play for Amazon with their move from Seattle. Chicago has the capacity to accommodate such a large HQ, is growing HQ city, has a liberal bend that seems to be important to Amazon, great rail and airport access, a great college base ( Northwestern, U of Chicago, U of Illinois, U of Wisconsin Madison all nearby ) and reasonable housing costs make it a winner and a good pick for Amazon. So many of these posts are pushing for cities that lack one or more of these criteria that would be important for a HQ location. Being the third largest metro is a plus in the search for talent and a good cost of living. NYC is too expensive and built up, LA is on the west coast and why move, and Atlanta in my opinion is too small with a limited college network.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 PM

4,447 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Quote:
I think the sad reality is that, just as is typical of professional sports franchises, other types of businesses recognize that the more bidders they can engage in a development proposition, the better the deal they can get. Ultimately, I have little doubt that the primary consideration will be the incentive package that is offered.
That's very true, but Amazon will ultimately have to square "the best incentive package" with the location that best achieves their workforce/infrastructure criteria, which may not align as the same city for both elements.

Another aspect that is being discussed in news publications but doesn't seem to be front-and-center on this thread is the fact that the immense scale of a very niche kind of highly-educated workforce and urban-type campus they're proposing is not exactly found in every million-plus metro area.

For all practical purposes, there are likely fewer than 10 cities other than Seattle in the US that could reasonably produce those kinds of "shovel ready" resources (i.e., tens of thousands of tech-related employees and active, transit-accessible real estate proposals in the MILLIONS of office space square footage in the matter of a few years).

And given very tight real estate conditions and very tangible cost-of-business considerations in cities like NYC and SF, the options that Amazon has seem to be more realistically in the single-digits.

Due to considerations of scale, resources and real estate availability in mass transit-accessible settings, I personally see Chicago, Philadelphia, or Atlanta as the top three contenders, in no order necessarily due to different strengths (and which coincidentally offer three distinct regions outside of the West for Amazon to choose). Regardless of their decision, though, the outcome will be extremely interesting as a case study on corporate growth/location trends in the coming years.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-09-2017 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 09:09 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,495,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's very true, but Amazon will ultimately have to square "the best incentive package" with the location that best achieves their workforce/infrastructure criteria, which may not align as the same city for both elements.

Another aspect that is being discussed in news publications but doesn't seem to be front-and-center on this thread is the fact that the immense scale of a very niche kind of highly-educated workforce and urban-type campus they're proposing is not exactly found in every million-plus metro area.

For all practical purposes, there are likely fewer than 10 cities other than Seattle in the US that could reasonably produce those kinds of "shovel ready" resources (i.e., tens of thousands of tech-related employees and active, transit-accessible real estate proposals in the MILLIONS of office space square footage in the matter of a few years).

And given very tight real estate conditions and very tangible cost-of-business considerations in cities like NYC and SF, the options that Amazon has seem to be more realistically in the single-digits.

I agree with most of what you're saying. In fact, I assume that Amazon already has a relatively short list of cities in mind that meet more closely-defined criteria, but that they figure they can extract more from those cities if there is the perception that there are dozens of additional possibilities. It's also interesting to note that Amazon has asked cities to not make the incentive offers public. I know that those preparing a Minneapolis proposal have agreed to that condition.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:18 PM

21,153 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, it's kind of ironic that the OP didn't even bother to include Denver on the poll. I'm not saying the NYT piece is some accurate prediction of what will happen, but I think that Denver will definitely be in the running. The mayor of Denver appears to think so as well.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:16 PM

18 posts, read 19,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) Boeing
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) ConAgra
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) Amazon

There is a reason that Boeing went from Seattle to Chicago, Location and central to transportation in a city that is world class as well as other factors. Same factors will be in play for Amazon with their move from Seattle. Chicago has the capacity to accommodate such a large HQ, is growing HQ city, has a liberal bend that seems to be important to Amazon, great rail and airport access, a great college base ( Northwestern, U of Chicago, U of Illinois, U of Wisconsin Madison all nearby ) and reasonable housing costs make it a winner and a good pick for Amazon. So many of these posts are pushing for cities that lack one or more of these criteria that would be important for a HQ location. Being the third largest metro is a plus in the search for talent and a good cost of living. NYC is too expensive and built up, LA is on the west coast and why move, and Atlanta in my opinion is too small with a limited college network.
Georgia Tech, Emory University, Morehouse, Spelman, Kennesaw State, Georgia State, and University of Georgia. There also many people in area who went to Vanderbilt, University of Florida, Auburn, USC Cola, and Clemson. Atlanta has many problems but higher education is not one of them. But Chicago does have little problem called taxes. If they are willing to pay that much for a hq in Chicago they might as well go to NY or Boston

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...-headquarters/

Old 09-09-2017, 10:27 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
I think DC would be perfect for this. Huge tech presence, its in the EST, most educated and healthiest metro in the country, big public transit system, on I95 with 3 major airports, plenty of Starbucks per capita, and its already expensive.

Im thinking of Arlington/Tysons/Reston specifically as a perfect location, but I dont think a DC/Baltimore setup is a bad idea either.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:28 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,143,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, it's kind of ironic that the OP didn't even bother to include Denver on the poll. I'm not saying the NYT piece is some accurate prediction of what will happen, but I think that Denver will definitely be in the running. The mayor of Denver appears to think so as well.

I think Denver would be a great candidate. It seems to have most of what Amazon is looking for. The only probably I see is that it's not farther East.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-09-2017 at 10:38 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 10:47 PM

5,259 posts, read 3,309,355 times
Quote:
So true, while they could be leaning or wanting maybe an East Coast HQ duplicate, if places out west or intermountain west blow them away with an incentives package (NoCal, SoCal, SLC, PHX, DEN), I could see them at least consider a place relatively closer to their current location in Seattle.

I think the only place, that fits their criteria, out west or west of the Mississippi to eliminate is Portland.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think Denver would be a great candidate. It seems to have most of what Amazon is looking for. The only probably I see is that it's not farther East.
Transit in Denver wasn't even applied.
They have a little train when I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or