U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:02 PM

9,838 posts, read 11,431,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This would be great, but with regards to cost and being able to provide 8 million sf of office space in Poplar Point alone? Do we have enough space?
The Poplar Point campus has 6.3 million square feet of development as mixed use. There is another 2 million square feet of office space in Downtown Anacostia planned and 1.8 million of office space planned at St. Elizabeth East. Being across from the Department of Homeland Security would be huge for Amazon.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-10-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 02:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,268,209 times
Quote:
NOVA and especially Tysons/ Silver Line corridor (an existing specifically TECH corridor) is the best positioned fit for the total requirements by the RFP in the Eastern US, period. No urban/ suburban combination in the country compares for a project like this. Cities like Chicago and Philly win on urbanity but that's mainly it. I don't think Amazon is tied into being in a super urban or more urban place than Seattle. This is a corporate headquarters not a distribution center, so being in the center of the country isn't necessarily brownie points, and the multi billion dollar Silver Line Metro was literally created specifically for housing mega sized HQ projects like this, and soon will connect to and beyond Dulles International Airport. Tyson's is already 12th largest business district in the US and probably the country's largest "edge city" by sf of office space. This company essentially wants an urban "campus", which is exactly what Tysons and the other towns along the SL already do, while connecting directly to Metro and Dulles.

The money is there, the education/ universities, airports, and proximity to power etc. For those who don't know, this Silver Line corridor is really already the "tech hub" of the East Coast. (and probably Raleigh-Durham also)

With that said I still feel like HQ2 may be put in a smaller/ medium size market, my previous prediction of Charlotte I'm going to completely scrap. If they don't care about going East maybe Austin or Denver, if they try East maybe Raleigh.

I feel like some scare tactic will be used to drive Amazon away from the Beltway as only for optics, but would not bother me anyway to see a smaller area get the prize.
Nova is also home to the the East Coast campus of Amazon Web Services employing ~2k high level folks. I think the DC area will have a great chance. I'm sure Amazon doesn't want to be in a suburban type city with lack of strong mass transit options. It will attract top young talent... we know the types of places these techie yuppies will want to be. People keep mentioning COL but my friends who work for Amazon look more for quality and style of life and own homes in Seattle proper and alot of them walk to or bike to work.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:38 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeled.../#450990792624

Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, it's kind of ironic that the OP didn't even bother to include Denver on the poll. I'm not saying the NYT piece is some accurate prediction of what will happen, but I think that Denver will definitely be in the running. The mayor of Denver appears to think so as well.
Wait a second, I know this article isn't serious but it knocks DFW (which it calls Dallas) out because it does badly on INRIX's scorecard but keeps DC which does worse?

Also, Portland, which does worse than Austin. Should have been knocked down to Denver and Boston, according to the article's own criteria. Though, no offense to Portland, or anyone, but I feel like Portland would be the stupidest choice out of all these cities.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:56 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,857,884 times
Greater Washington DC metro would be a good choice IMO. Possibly just inside the WV state line in Jefferson County.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 PM

9,838 posts, read 11,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Wait a second, I know this article isn't serious but it knocks DFW (which it calls Dallas) out because it does badly on INRIX's scorecard but keeps DC which does worse?.
They explained why they did that. DC has the second best public transit system in the entire nation. If you drive in DC, you do so by choice. You don't need a car in DC.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,475,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
They explained why they did that. DC has the second best public transit system in the entire nation. If you drive in DC, you do so by choice. You don't need a car in DC.
Ehh, second best transit system is easily debatable and certainly not agreed upon to be DC. Second-busiest subway system: yes; second-best total transit system? Chicago is at least equivalent and would be heavily in contention for landing this development too.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 PM

7,702 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Ehh, second best transit system is easily debatable and certainly not agreed upon to be DC. Second-busiest subway system: yes; second-best total transit system? Chicago is at least equivalent and would be heavily in contention for landing this development too.
Chicago's is clearly better than DC's. I'm not even sure DC tops Boston's.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,980 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Greater Washington DC metro would be a good choice IMO. Possibly just inside the WV state line in Jefferson County.
If they choose somewhere along the Silver Line in Loudoun County, I imagine West Va would see a great benefit to this.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:54 PM

2,785 posts, read 1,631,167 times
Quote:
If they choose somewhere along the Silver Line in Loudoun County, I imagine West Va would see a great benefit to this.
My online concern with D.C is that I get the sense that Amazon wants nothing to do with the government. If they do go to the D.C area I think Reston Va, Tysons or the proposed Konterra town center in Laurel MD would be good options. Tysons might be iffy just because it's so developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or