U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 PM

9,839 posts, read 11,440,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
My online concern with D.C is that I get the sense that Amazon wants nothing to do with the government. If they do go to the D.C area I think Reston Va, Tysons or the proposed Konterra town center in Laurel MD would be good options. Tysons might be iffy just because it's so developed.
Huh? Amazon Web Service is more profitable than Amazon.com and it's all tied up with the Federal government.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gee...last-year/amp/

Government Cloud Adoption Led by Amazon Web Services - SMARTGOV

Old 09-10-2017, 06:29 PM

9,839 posts, read 11,440,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
My online concern with D.C is that I get the sense that Amazon wants nothing to do with the government. If they do go to the D.C area I think Reston Va, Tysons or the proposed Konterra town center in Laurel MD would be good options. Tysons might be iffy just because it's so developed.
Why Amazon should come to DC

Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 PM

5,184 posts, read 3,721,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh? Amazon Web Service is more profitable than Amazon.com and it's all tied up with the Federal government.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gee...last-year/amp/

Government Cloud Adoption Led by Amazon Web Services - SMARTGOV
Yep, AWS has a special cloud service just for .gov. That coupled with his pet project, The Washington Post, his new $23M home in DC and DC being in the Eastern Time zone with close proximity to many major Eastern cities really makes a compelling case for DC. If I were a bettin Man, I'd say the top two picks are currently.

1. DC
2. Chicago

For smaller cities, I'd say Denver, Austin and Raleigh are possibilities.

Are there Vegas odds out yet?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,646,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Technically a tropical storm. But regardless, the odds of the northeast getting a major hurricane are way way way less than New Orleans. But I would think that would be less of a consideration for this, than New Orelans not being known for technology or having strong enough college talent. It is also a pretty small city / metro.
As much as I love NOLA I don't think Amazon will put a big office there. I think it will be in atlanta

Old 09-10-2017, 11:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,059 times
I'm going with someplace in SE WI not far from the state line or someplace in NW Indiana. Take advantage of everything Chicago provides with the friendly business policies of WI or IN. I'd put a place like Kenosha over anywhere in NW Indiana. They'll probably end up in the DC area or Atlanta.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 PM

602 posts, read 327,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Why do Charlotte and Raleigh get to be grouped together? Because they're in the same state?
It was either or. Can you imagine that a CEO would fly into an area with two potential sites and only visit one. Highly unlikely.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 PM

171 posts, read 262,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Not even close to Chicago in any category, other than having a big airport, which is south of the city in a bad area. Sadly, I lived there for many years and I'm overly thankful to be outta there and back in Chicago.

Atlanta is the epitome of mediocrity, they just have a big group of cheerleaders on this forum. They really have no chance of being an Amazon HQ, IMO, but got to give them credit for the effort....
Sounds like you have an axe to grind, but thankfully corporations use numbers and not feelings to back up their decisions.

Most people know of Atlanta for homegrown companies like Coke, Delta, CNN and Home Depot, but the North American headquarters of Porsche and Mercedes are here along with UPS, Pulte Homes, Carter's (clothing, not Jimmy), and Spanx. AT&T has a huge footprint, and only LA beats out Atlanta in film and TV production in the world. Not to mention Atlanta's influence in the music industry. Entertainment and its distribution is a growing part of Amazon's business, and the expertise is in Atlanta thanks to Turner Networks and music labels with outposts here.

While lots of places have fulfillment centers (Atlanta has two), Atlanta also has a subsidiary Amazon recently purchased called A9 that developed visual search technology to identify products from a picture. Amazon is also expanding its AWS office located in Midtown area of Atlanta. Atlanta is the leader of financial tech companies that form the backbone of electronic transactions online. Worldpay, NCR, Global Payments, Equifax, Cardlytics, First Data among many others attract the type of talent needed to support e-commerce. A lot of these companies are clustered in Midtown near the Tech Square innovation district with direct access to MARTA rail and bus in the most walkable/bikeable part of the city.

Amazon's desire for a blank slate in an urban environment with access to mass transit is where Atlanta has a chance to excel. Underground Atlanta is in the middle of redevelopment with plans for a mix of high-rise and mid-rise development, and it's directly connected to the crossroads of Atlanta's subway lines at the Five Points station, so workers could live in all four corners of the city and get to work with less than a 30-minute train ride.

There's also potential for Amazon to anchor a multi-modal transit station on a 119-acre site across from CNN Center and Mercedes Benz Stadium called The Gulch. The station would serve passenger rail, streetcar, subway lines, and buses. Every mode of transportation will be needed to get 50,000 into one place in an urban environment. And you can't beat the convenience of accessing the airport. Atlanta is one of the few airports in the world with a subway line that drops you off right in the terminal. The ride from the downtown Five Points station to the South Terminal takes just 14 minutes, and people living in the northern burbs 30 miles away can be at the airport in 45 minutes.

One of the largest draws of Atlanta's downtown a lot of outsiders aren't aware of is the massive Apparel Mart complex. Its one of the largest wholesale trade centers in the world that hosts several trade shows throughout the year that bring more than 70K-90K people to the International Gift and Home Furnishings Show. Amazon's buyers and marketers would take advantage of being a couple of blocks away from such an important center of dealmaking.

And last, if they're looking for a more suburban location, there's the former Doraville GM plant at the end of MARTA's gold line. There's already a film studio operating there, and Serta is moving its HQ to the development. This site is at the intersection of I-85 and I-285 called Spaghetti Junction and has close proximity to the more desirable suburban communities to the north that are expanding their transit options.

All of these advantages are why 17 Fortune 500 companies call Atlanta home. Name another city that hosted the Olympics that managed to at least break even. Atlanta thinks big and knows how to execute. The OP is missing out, but he/she is welcome to come back.

Last edited by cparker73; 09-11-2017 at 12:31 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Name another city that hosted the Olympics that managed to at least break even.
LA in 1984 made ~250M profit. Seoul in 1988 was around $300M. SLC Winter Games in '02 made $100M.

Atlanta's games was only estimated around $20M in the black.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games

(BTW I think ATL stands as good a chance as any city)

Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,671,558 times
It's funny, we've been hearing rumors of Amazon building something big here in Indy since July. Someone has bought up over 2000 acres just north of the city under the utmost secrecy. It could be another fulfillment center but, there are already four in Indiana.

It may not be Amazon at all but, nobody knows who it is that I've heard. It's probably laughable to people on here considering Indy's reputation on CD but, ya never know.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,111,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
LA in 1984 made ~250M profit. Seoul in 1988 was around $300M. SLC Winter Games in '02 made $100M.

Atlanta's games was only estimated around $20M in the black.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games

(BTW I think ATL stands as good a chance as any city)
What's more impressive is the the fact that Los Angeles also turned a profit during the 1932 Olympics. This was during the depression, every previous Olympic city had lost money to date, AND Los Angeles was still widely considered somewhat of a backwater at the time of its selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or