Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,019 posts, read 7,408,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
My online concern with D.C is that I get the sense that Amazon wants nothing to do with the government. If they do go to the D.C area I think Reston Va, Tysons or the proposed Konterra town center in Laurel MD would be good options. Tysons might be iffy just because it's so developed.
It's probably the exact opposite, Amazon doesn't want to completely start from scratch, which is why they are saying they want to be in a somewhat urban area. What Tysons provides is an almost perfect scenario that cannot be provided anywhere else at least East of the Mississippi. You have 4 existing Metro stations in Tysons directly connected to Dulles international and the rest of the Metro system.

Tysons is an already existing new edge city, but at the same time still "creating" it's "downtown". So a proposal like this has the ability to either continue to shape or help complete the urban vision for an already booming edge city. The key here is space, Tysons is like size of Uptown Charlotte in land mass maybe larger, but it hasn't filled out yet. You have enough space to build a "urban" campus, and aren't trying to squeeze into a major downtown of a city more urban than Seattle. I'm not saying it's a lock that they go with this approach, because they may want to be right in the downtown of a major city who knows, but if they want space to breathe and want to go with that "edge city/suburb", but still have immediate existing transit options connected to an international airport, Tysons would be their first option probably across the nation.

Konterra for example in MD would be literally starting from scratch, I don't see them doing that, but it's all with whatever approach they want to take.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
For those who don't know, this Silver Line corridor is really already the "tech hub" of the East Coast. (and probably Raleigh-Durham also)
And Boston.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,338,137 times
My hometown of Atlanta would be PERFECT:

1. World's busiest airport
2. MARTA (rail transit system connecting downtown to the airport and many points north, east, etc)
3. Many major universities adjacent/ in Atlanta (Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Emory University) nearby (University of Georgia, Kennesaw State, Clayton State) and smaller ones, too (Atlanta University Center of historically Black Colleges such as Clark-Atlanta, Morehouse, and Spelman, Oglethorpe University, etc)
4. Much available land and buildings: new South Downtown developments, much of MARTA southline between Downtown and the airport, perhaps even in the new "Airport City" development proposed near the airport straddling the Fulton/ Clayton County line.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM

760 posts, read 875,135 times
I've been hearing tons whispers and rumors that Denver has already been chosen, builders already have put in their bids, and Amazon has already started the hiring process.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,108,641 times
Quote:
I've been hearing tons whispers and rumors that Denver has already been chosen, builders already have put in their bids, and Amazon has already started the hiring process
That totally makes given that Amazon just put out the RFP and not even to extract more from the already picked city. Amazing.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,029,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I've been hearing tons whispers and rumors that Denver has already been chosen, builders already have put in their bids, and Amazon has already started the hiring process.
I suspect that some people are confusing already planned Amazon development in the Denver area for the new HQ2. Even if Denver was chosen, they are a long way out from hiring people for HQ2.

We do have the new fulfillment center and the upcoming center in Thornton slated for 2018, as well as the sortation center that opened last year. I would guess any current hiring is for the fulfillment center in Aurora, I think that opens next month.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,108,641 times
Quote:
1. World's busiest airport
2. MARTA (rail transit system connecting downtown to the airport and many points north, east, etc)
3. Many major universities adjacent/ in Atlanta (Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Emory University) nearby (University of Georgia, Kennesaw State, Clayton State) and smaller ones, too (Atlanta University Center of historically Black Colleges such as Clark-Atlanta, Morehouse, and Spelman, Oglethorpe University, etc)
4. Much available land and buildings: new South Downtown developments, much of MARTA southline between Downtown and the airport, perhaps even in the new "Airport City" development proposed near the airport straddling the Fulton/ Clayton County line.
1 Airport size was not part of the criteria
2 many cities have something comparable
3 Again, many cities have several universities, some even have more a concentration of universities that focus on relevant tech
4 Same as above

Not trying to knock the city where I live, but cities need to be realistic and grounded in their thoughts.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM

616 posts, read 545,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
1 Airport size was not part of the criteria
2 many cities have something comparable
3 Again, many cities have several universities, some even have more a concentration of universities that focus on relevant tech
4 Same as above

Not trying to knock the city where I live, but cities need to be realistic and grounded in their thoughts.

Which I feel the poster was being. Atlanta is obviously not some long shot city

Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 AM

760 posts, read 875,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I suspect that some people are confusing already planned Amazon development in the Denver area for the new HQ2. Even if Denver was chosen, they are a long way out from hiring people for HQ2.

We do have the new fulfillment center and the upcoming center in Thornton slated for 2018, as well as the sortation center that opened last year. I would guess any current hiring is for the fulfillment center in Aurora, I think that opens next month.
Yeah I'm not sure about how much I agree with, but I heard about 3 or 4 people this morning alone talking about it. Everyone seems to know of someone in the know...but yeah, who knows.

I'm still skeptical.

It seems like Amazon cares more about all the handouts it can receive rather than the "nice to haves" like an nice airport, transit, cool culture, etc. If Amazon REALLY cared about those things, they would have already made their decision, and went directly to the local government. Lets be honest, this is all about money. I agree Denver is perfect on paper, but it doesn't seem like Denver has a great history for subsidizing and attracting corporations.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 AM

707 posts, read 741,395 times
Maybe Jeff Bezos will get homesick and build it in his hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.