U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:40 PM

5,445 posts, read 8,173,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I find that hard to believe, unless you mean Alabama is closer to Seattle going East (around the planet), then yes it is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
No! For instance a flight from Denver to Birmingham, AL is slightly shorter than a flight from Denver to Seattle. Both being about 2hrs50mins away. Just to give a perspective of how far Denver and Seattle really are from each other (Because a lot of people think they're neighbors for some reason). Denver's also closer to places like Nashville, Chicago, Detroit, etc (All by flight at least).

Last edited by Mezter; 09-11-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 01:16 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,015,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I think that was meant as: Alabama is closer to Denver than Seattle?

I don't think that location is really their main concern for HQ2. This is all tech work, so really nothing that needs to have a presence in other time zones or exposure to the other coast. But if that's the case, and location doesn't matter, It would it's better to be closer to Seattle?

I actually wouldn't be surprised by Portland now that I think about it. It hasn't been brought up a lot in this discussion, but Portland also checks every single box of requirements. They also get to benefit with being close enough for day trips, but far enough to have a lower COL. As far as quality of life, COL, population size, desirability, and amenities, Portland is a carbon copy of Denver...just with a better tech workforce.
Geographical influence of a region is important. Yes, tech can be done from anywhere, but Amazon seems to own the PNW, and I think they want to influence an entirely different region. Yes, Denver isn't that close to Seattle, but it's closer than most major US cities. I live in Denver now, would love it if becomes the second HQ, but I don't think it will happen.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM

11,194 posts, read 22,419,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Amazon is hiring in the Milwaukee area, as well, but it's for their fulfillment center.
I feel they're hiring everywhere these days for centers.

I know Chicago has a corporate office for Amazon that is currently doubling in size to 400 people. They are also opening three new fulfillment centers around the metro and hiring 2,000 for those centers. They already have multiple centers and offices employing around 6,000 people around other areas of the metro.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:09 PM

5,315 posts, read 3,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised by Portland now that I think about it. It hasn't been brought up a lot in this discussion, but Portland also checks every single box of requirements. They also get to benefit with being close enough for day trips, but far enough to have a lower COL. As far as quality of life, COL, population size, desirability, and amenities, Portland is a carbon copy of Denver...just with a better tech workforce.
It might be my internal thinking or something and totally wrong or our there, but after reading all the articles about this new HQ, I seemed to get the impression (it's probably just me) that they might be looking for a place that is not as cloudy/rainy as Seattle is from October to May, although they never explicitly say that. That's why I never truly thought Portland had a chance at landing HQ2.

It seems like Amazon would allow their employees new and old to choose, depending on your position, between the two HQs. Maybe they got a ton of feedback, besides the COL of Seattle being crazy high, people are not digging the "doom and gloom" of the Pacific Northwest, hence creating a second but equal HQ, with maybe a lower COL (maybe not) and a sunnier climate.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM

5,629 posts, read 3,743,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) Boeing
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) ConAgra
Chicago---------------------------------------------------) Amazon

There is a reason that Boeing went from Seattle to Chicago, Location and central to transportation in a city that is world class as well as other factors. Same factors will be in play for Amazon with their move from Seattle. Chicago has the capacity to accommodate such a large HQ, is growing HQ city, has a liberal bend that seems to be important to Amazon, great rail and airport access, a great college base ( Northwestern, U of Chicago, U of Illinois, U of Wisconsin Madison all nearby ) and reasonable housing costs make it a winner and a good pick for Amazon. So many of these posts are pushing for cities that lack one or more of these criteria that would be important for a HQ location. Being the third largest metro is a plus in the search for talent and a good cost of living. NYC is too expensive and built up, LA is on the west coast and why move, and Atlanta in my opinion is too small with a limited college network.
Amazon is "not moving from Seattle". It is opening a 2nd HQ.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:19 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,063,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I feel they're hiring everywhere these days for centers.
There was a truck with one of those trailer signs driving around my neighborhood yesterday advertising Amazon warehouse jobs at $17/hr. Apparently they are having trouble filling those positions.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:47 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,503,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I certainly donít think Amazon is leaving Seattle in the near future, but itís hard to spin this any way other than being a slap in the face for the city. Looking at the media coverage in Seattle, this seems to have been a somewhat nasty surprise.

To use a personal relationship analogy: itís not a case of oneís lover telling you that theyíre leaving you, but it is a case of them telling you that theyíre bored with the relationship and want to bring another partner into it. So there has to be the notion in the back of your mind that they might just like that new person better, and ultimately be inclined to abandon you in favor of that other personís affections.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 PM

4,522 posts, read 2,697,361 times
What the Seattle media says and what Seattle commercial real estate observers say are very different. Commercial real estate people see Amazon growing at an enormous rate in Seattle.

Further, Seattle will soon have 12,000,000 sf of Amazon HQ offices just based on what's announced or under construction. I'd guess the second HQ (in its 15-17-year buildout) will never be more than half the size of the Seattle HQ, unless something significant changes.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:05 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,242,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Sorry that wasn't clear, yes HQ2. Everyone has an opinion on this subject given the job impact on the city that will win the "race", most opinions based on where they are from in a homer type of way. I am rooting for Chicago in the same way, and am really trying step outside of my shoes to see it objectively, and have a hard time seeing and understanding the reasons behind some of the votes. There is one Seattle company who did all the logistics in the past on this, and chose Chicago. That company is Boeing, and with all the talk about airports, the ability of a Seattle Company with significant need to travel to Seattle and overseas, is tried and true by Boeing with the city of Chicago.

it looks like the polls are a horserace between Atlanta and Chicago. I am not getting the Atlanta thing over Chicago though, and am trying. As far as airports, O'hare and Hartsfield are pretty even traffic wise, and Chicago also has Midway as an alternative. On education, Chicago has more prestigious schools ( University of Chicago and Northwestern ) along with being the magnet of the Big 10. True Atlanta has Georgia Tech and Emory, but they are not equal. As far as transportation, Marta in no way equals the el system or the Metra system in Chicago, and Chicago has current options like the old post office that would perfectly fit Amazon's needs.

The cost of living is equal to Atlanta, and Chicago has a far bigger metro to draw talent from. With all the talk on HQs in Atlanta, Chicago was ranked first in corporate expansion for the last 4 years, Chicago is an Alpha world class city where Atlanta is not, and is closer to Seattle and much of the east coast and Midwest than Atlanta. What am I missing?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM

5,629 posts, read 3,743,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What the Seattle media says and what Seattle commercial real estate observers say are very different. Commercial real estate people see Amazon growing at an enormous rate in Seattle.

Further, Seattle will soon have 12,000,000 sf of Amazon HQ offices just based on what's announced or under construction. I'd guess the second HQ (in its 15-17-year buildout) will never be more than half the size of the Seattle HQ, unless something significant changes.
Absolutely true. The investments in Seattle by Amazon are current and ongoing. Amazon is truly huge and continuing to get huger. It needs another HQ for logistic reasons. Seattle media indeed like to stir the pot and that is happening here. As for the personal relationship comparison mentioned above, that is a bit absurd. Personal relationships are based on emotion. Business is based on revenue potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or