U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,235,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
If cost of living and the required criteria must strictly be met then I see this as a Chicago win. It is a world class city, the fourth largest market in North America behind New York-Mexico City-Los Angeles, has two world class universities and pulls from even more universities and colleges in the broader region. Has cost of living on par with the likes of Atlanta or Dallas -- in the same general range pretty much. Has the infrastructure. Has arguably one of the top two best infrastructural layouts in America with regard to highways, transit, bike lanes, pedestrian zones, and the like. Despite its massive size, Chicago has less congestion and traffic issues than several American cities that are either bigger or smaller. Has one of the top airports in the world with regard to service destinations and frequency of options. Has the stature of a truly revered global city. Has lots of capital infusion and has a broad and diverse economy -- enough to draw the creme of the crop tech talent. Is a desirable city that can sell itself to executives and employees to draw even more talent outside the region -- Chicago is frequently featured in majority of the world's top city assessments. Most importantly, over the years and decades, Chicago has demonstrated that it can and will lure corporate headquarter relocations and talent -- it does it so often that it has been tried and tested as successful in that regard. The city is first class in that regard (as are Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington D.C. too for that matter).

Has everything working for it.

That being said, I still think it will be one of these four but have Chicago next after them: Boston, New York, Austin, or Denver just because all four are more tech centric cities than Chicago overall IMO. With Toronto having a legit chance as well because of the Trump Administrations (potential) immigration policies which will affect the H1B1 visa holders and cripple the tech industry's ability to lure talented labor for cost effective payrolls. That's just from my perspective IMO. They either go with a medium sized market with similar tech industry and aspects to Seattle (Austin/Denver) or they just go with the most logical big market and depending on whether they want the talent pool (Boston), market reach (New York), or cost of living (Chicago) they can go any of three ways on it.

Anyone know when they announce their decision? Will they thin the herd and narrow their short list as time goes on?
This is a great analysis! I have to disagree on Chicago being in back of the tech four, though, just because it is the city that can handle 50,000 new jobs in a central location, and without blowing up the housing market like in already expensive and stressed markets like Boston, Austin and Denver. In those cities there is not enough on the market to even accomodate a huge influx of people. New York is just plain expensive and tough to set up a campus like that in. it comes down to more than cost of living; it comes down to what city can readily accomodate such a huge influx. That is why I think your four won't fly.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
This is a great analysis! I have to disagree on Chicago being in back of the tech four, though, just because it is the city that can handle 50,000 new jobs in a central location, and without blowing up the housing market like in already expensive and stressed markets like Boston, Austin and Denver. In those cities there is not enough on the market to even accomodate a huge influx of people. New York is just plain expensive and tough to set up a campus like that in. it comes down to more than cost of living; it comes down to what city can readily accomodate such a huge influx. That is why I think your four won't fly.
Could be.

Here is a character and/or personality assessment of Jeff Bezos:
Quote:
“Instead of focusing on the real estate, focus on the man,” said Chicago developer J. Paul Beitler, who has no stake in any of the prospective sites. Bezos is “a man who wants everything for free. He moves quickly. He buys Whole Foods in one month. He’s not going to sit around while you build him a building. And if he does build a building . . . it’s not going to be a monument.”

“He will dance with this with all of the various cities. But at the end of the day, it’s all about cheap. He makes his profits in pennies. He builds big empty warehouses. He’s not gonna sit around while a committee decides what the design is gonna be and pay the cost and take the risk. He’s not that kind of a risk-taker. He’s a bulk buyer. . . . Where can you go to buy bulk cheap?”

What Chicago site might win Amazon 'HQ2' sweepstakes? Here are 6 . . . | Chicago Sun-Times
Similar to the impression that I got out of Bezos from that interview video I posted a few posts back. If that is the case, then he wont ever find another city that is as revered as a city and business center (a top notch quality city) as Chicago with as low of the costs as they come while offering so much. Chicago's airport is a megahub, the options feel nearly limitless. Flies to so many continents and is strategically located in a spot where New York/Washington and San Francisco/Seattle are all within easy reach because of the more centralized location. It has the size to have a huge talent pool and has the foundational institutions to breed even more talent.

Chicago's track record, impressive as hell, luring corporate headquarters is the icing on the cake. These factors, when all put together, is what should separate Chicago from the rest of the pack. Key word though "should". No telling if it will with Amazon, they seem to play a different type of ball game than others.

It is one of the best business and commerce centers on Earth. It has been no less than a Top 3 corporate hub in America for over a century's worth of time:

Forbes Global 2000 for North American metropolitan regions in 2017: "the World's Biggest Public Companies"

In the end though, we will have to see. No telling what happens. I think Bezos wants as much as possible without having to spend for it and he wants the type of infrastructure that will be in place for the really long term outlook. The talent is an absolute must for any location he chooses, that is the most important thing IMO.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM

3,696 posts, read 4,530,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
If cost of living and the required criteria must strictly be met then I see this as a Chicago win. It is a world class city, the fourth largest market in North America behind New York-Mexico City-Los Angeles, has two world class universities and pulls from even more universities and colleges in the broader region. Has cost of living on par with the likes of Atlanta or Dallas -- in the same general range pretty much. Has the infrastructure. Has arguably one of the top two best infrastructural layouts in America with regard to highways, transit, bike lanes, pedestrian zones, and the like. Despite its massive size, Chicago has less congestion and traffic issues than several American cities that are either bigger or smaller. Has one of the top airports in the world with regard to service destinations and frequency of options. Has the stature of a truly revered global city. Has lots of capital infusion and has a broad and diverse economy -- enough to draw the creme of the crop tech talent. Is a desirable city that can sell itself to executives and employees to draw even more talent outside the region -- Chicago is frequently featured in majority of the world's top city assessments. Most importantly, over the years and decades, Chicago has demonstrated that it can and will lure corporate headquarter relocations and talent -- it does it so often that it has been tried and tested as successful in that regard. The city is first class in that regard (as are Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington D.C. too for that matter).

Has everything working for it.

That being said, I still think it will be one of these four but have Chicago next after them: Boston, New York, Austin, or Denver just because all four are more tech centric cities than Chicago overall IMO. With Toronto having a legit chance as well because of the Trump Administrations (potential) immigration policies which will affect the H1B1 visa holders and cripple the tech industry's ability to lure talented labor for cost effective payrolls. That's just from my perspective IMO. They either go with a medium sized market with similar tech industry and aspects to Seattle (Austin/Denver) or they just go with the most logical big market and depending on whether they want the talent pool (Boston), market reach (New York), or cost of living (Chicago) they can go any of three ways on it.

Anyone know when they announce their decision? Will they thin the herd and narrow their short list as time goes on?
great analysis here and I totally agree

Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,148,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I think the author means inconvenient in the sense that the airport is like 25 miles or so from the city center, and is quite a hike to get to. Though there is a new rail option to get there, so that aspect is mitigated, somewhat. Still, Denver's airport is notorious for being massive, beautiful and in the middle of nowhere when compared to other city airports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
@Mezter, I think that person was talking about the location in relation to the city of Denver, not to other destinations. I don't remember from personal experience (I've only flown to Denver once, driven all other times) but the distance from the city seems to be one of the only, and common, complaints people have about DEN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I think she meant the location of the airport, relative to the city core.
Oh! Somehow I completely read that wrong and skipped over the word "located" They also said something about Europe so I took that as them saying it's not convenient to other countries/states!

Yeah, the airport's location is a bit tragic, but it actually doesn't take that long to get to (Only about 30 minutes from Downtown which is 15 minutes less than what they require) and the new train does help too! I don't think the location would be too much of an issue

Last edited by Mezter; 09-13-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 12:59 AM

374 posts, read 345,817 times
Goldman Sachs announced yesterday that it will be making a $233 million investment in Baltimore's Port Covington.

"Goldman Sachs said its financial commitment is the largest single private equity investment its urban investment group has made."

Goldman Sachs invests $233 million in Port Covington - Baltimore Sun

The announcement to invest in one of the nation's largest development projects comes roughly one week after Amazon made plans for a second HQ public. Interesting timing.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:05 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Austin - I'm rooting for it, but I think the transportation and infrastructure are lacking. They're building like crazy though, so maybe there's something tailor made for Amazon? Downtown area housing is growing, but it's not at the level of Seattle obviously. And the cost may be beyond the regular workforce at Amazon. Those shiny new condos will be costly.

Denver - I've always theorized it is too close to Seattle and too western to get it, but I could see it working at DTC. Live there now, so yeah, I'm rooting for it.

Boston - I'm in Boston now for business. I think it's near perfect. Great public transport, dense, a lot of smart folks, to me a destination city.

NYC - I mean, it's NYC

Chicago makes sense to me. A lot of sense. So does Atlanta.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 AM

21,173 posts, read 11,774,111 times
It think it's pretty clear that there is no single "right" choice. If it were that simple, they wouldn't be having this beauty contest, they would just be moving forward with plans in that location. There are several, maybe even many, that would work out well although nothing that is 100% dead on in every category.

I also think that they are probably going to try to stay open minded enough to see if any location presents a plan that really blows them away for reasons that may not be fully obvious to anyone right now.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Chicago would have lucked out in that it happens to have the massive Finkl Steel site cleared and a blank slate ready for development on the north riverfront near Lincoln Park and Bucktown. There was already a plan out there to potentially tie it together with new light rail in a network going from Finkl to the Metra station up there, then down connecting to multiple L lines and on to the main train stations downtown, with other legs going out through river north in a corridor that already exists as well as to the southwest and southeast past the museums and lakefront.

The owners of the Finkl site already picked a team and just within the past few days have been blasting the proposals and opportunities with Amazon written all over it.

Also the fact the 2,500,000 sf old main post office with its prominent site is already under full renovation with no one speaking for the space yet, just a block from Union Station which is out there with other huge development opportunities nearby.

The upwards of 8 million square feet and 50,000 employees would normally be VERY difficult to do consolidated within an urban core, but just based on blind luck of timing Chicago happens to have two sites.

https://chicago.curbed.com/chicago-d...-606-extension

I've been here 16 years now and the amount of construction in the central area and downtown in Chicago is absolutely mind boggling. There are huge projects going up everywhere you look. Even up in Lakeview by our house there are six large scale multi-story hundreds of thousands of square feet each residential projects going up within a 5-7 minute walk of my house.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
Don't forget Richmond. It has all the factors Amazon is requesting, is relatively inexpensive, is near a major shipping port, and is only 2 hours to DC.

Re: DC being an expensive area. If it goes to DC it'll probably be near Dulles Airport, which is an hour west of DC and in an area that's less expensive.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:00 AM

5,183 posts, read 3,715,709 times
Chicago is on fire! (maybe a bad choice of words!) We even got a mention during the Apple annual release event a couple days ago. Apple announced a new mega store on Mag Mile. https://chicago.curbed.com/chicago-d...t-mile-opening

And Chicago60614, the Finkl site rendering looks amazing! or should I say, it looks amazon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or