U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,334,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well, it doesn't cost them anything to get proposals from all over, so that's probably why they didn't specify. Also they like the publicity all over and the feeling of power it gives them no doubt. I'd guess the odds it will be in the east are about 90%. if they got a fantastic offer from a city/state in the central time zone, that was much better than anything in the east, they might go with it assuming it meets most of their criteria.
I mentioned something similar over on the Amazon HQ2 Philly thread:

Amazon might have a favorable place or places in mind, but let's say that place "only" offers like $500 million in tax breaks/credits/incentives, but another place that wasn't as favorable offers $1 billion or $1.5 billion, that might actually be enough for a "dark horse" to jump to the head of the pack, so to speak. It all depends on what factors they value more or less.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:07 AM

21,210 posts, read 11,826,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well, it doesn't cost them anything to get proposals from all over, so that's probably why they didn't specify. Also they like the publicity all over and the feeling of power it gives them no doubt. I'd guess the odds it will be in the east are about 90%. if they got a fantastic offer from a city/state in the central time zone, that was much better than anything in the east, they might go with it assuming it meets most of their criteria.
they still have to deal with these cities for other projects though, and it would not serve them well long term to **** people off for no reason, if other proposals didn't at least have a fair shot.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:29 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You guys are pretty dramatic hahaha

PS- Atlanta has a higher crime rate than Philadelphia.

PS part 2 - if the odds of being the victim of a violent crime in Philadelphia are less than 1% per 100,000 people, at 0.485%, that means, all 50,000 of those employees, have a less than 1% chance of being the victim of a violent crime.
A violent crime rate of 0.485% in Philly means that on average 243 people of those 50.000 will be a victim of violent crime per year. 243 still seems a high number to me, each year again. And then there is even a much larger number of non violent crimes. Definitively something to consider when selecting a location for employing a large number of people. And Chicago is probably worse, for sure its reputation is worse.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM

22,184 posts, read 23,711,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You guys are pretty dramatic hahaha

I'll make sure I'm watching out for all that crime while I'm living in Center City Philadelphia, walking to work everyday by parks, Lamborghini's, Rolls Royce's, Bentley's, Multi-million dollar condominiums in my $2000 suit to my 6-figure job in a shiny, glass, office tower.

Nobody is suggesting Amazon locate to North Philadelphia or Southside Chicago.

The site that would best fit Amazon (at least in Philadelphia), would be Schuylkill Yards, which sits on the Schuylkill River, next to 30th Street Station, the 3rd busiest rail station in the country, on the edge of University City where UPenn, Drexel, Penn Medicine, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, University City Science Center, the IRS, several shiny, shard glass skyscrapers that house several large companies including Nasdaq, FMC, Spark Therapeutics.... a site that sits across from Center City, one of the largest and best Downtown's in the country. Across the river, they will be able to see the Schuylkill River trail, Aramark's headquarters, two shiny glass Comcast skyscrapers, etc. This is an entirely safe place. Stop being so dramatic!

PS- Atlanta has a higher crime rate than Philadelphia.

PS part 2 - if the odds of being the victim of a violent crime in Philadelphia are less than 1% per 100,000 people, at 0.485%, that means, all 50,000 of those employees, have a less than 1% chance of being the victim of a violent crime.
I'm in favor of Amazon being located in North Philadelphia or Southside Chicago.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm in favor of Amazon being located in North Philadelphia or Southside Chicago.
No location makes more sense in Philadelphia than Schuylkill Yards.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM

21,210 posts, read 11,826,310 times
Is Schuylkill Yards big enough? It looks like a great idea but when I was looking through it, it said something about supporting 25,000 jobs.

It also appears to be designed with significant residential space - I'm not sure that Amazonians want to actually live on site...

Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
A violent crime rate of 0.485% in Philly means that on average 243 people of those 50.000 will be a victim of violent crime per year. 243 still seems a high number to me, each year again. And then there is even a much larger number of non violent crimes. Definitively something to consider when selecting a location for employing a large number of people. And Chicago is probably worse, for sure its reputation is worse.

yes but that is far to simplistic

much crime is tied to very specific neighborhoods where rates skyrocket where others plunge

for example DT SF has a higher crime rate than DT Philly whereas N Philly would be significantly higher than SF nabes etc.

in isolation stats can be misleading

that said Philly has a higher rate than it should though doesn't impact where people would work or a vast majority of employees might likely live or venture into

though is part of their criteria so plays a factor

Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is Schuylkill Yards big enough? It looks like a great idea but when I was looking through it, it said something about supporting 25,000 jobs.

It also appears to be designed with significant residential space - I'm not sure that Amazonians want to actually live on site...
Oh I'm more than certain that if Amazon expressed interest, the current plans could be modified to accommodate them. Plus all of the buildings don't necessarily have to be on the same parcel but they have to be within relatively close proximity to each other.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:41 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,535,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Except that's not how statistics work.

You do realize that likelihood of being a victim of a crime is not evenly spread across the general population, right? You're portraying violent crime as though its quite random, when in fact, the vast majority of it is not. Underlying those statistics are people who are MUCH more likely to be in unfortunate circumstances of gang involvement, drug trade, or those who are in some of the most poverty-stricken neighborhoods in the US.

Not that this is to excuse crime, or make it any less significant, but the fact of the matter is that Amazon workers, regardless of the city they're in, will be with the rest of the corporate class in a cushy downtown office setting, where the crime rate is a FAR cry from the areas where violent crime unfortunately is heavily concentrated. Not to mention, a large chunk of these folks will retire to their suburban bedroom communities each day.

Does crime calculate into each city's quality-of-life? Absolutely, but it's quite disingenuous and alarmist to suggest that no one can be reasonably assured of a safe environment in which to live and work in cities like Philly or Chicago, as hundreds of thousands of people currently do.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

~5M sq feet in SY

~8-10M right next door for available expansion

South Lake Union is a very mixed use development area, tons residential development all over and close to Amazon - Amazon even talks about how they love people living there and the residential population is expanded

and it doesn't have to be residential but don't think that is an issue anyway

and Bezos likes walk, bike and PT commuters

U City currently has a commute share among its 100K workers greater than 70% combined between walk, bike, PT and is a live, work, play area

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-15-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or