U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,166,603 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else questioning whether a company that doesn't want human employees in the long-term is really committed to creating 50,000 new jobs? What will all these new employees do, train robot replacements?

Old 09-15-2017, 11:45 PM

615 posts, read 373,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Is anyone else questioning whether a company that doesn't want human employees in the long-term is really committed to creating 50,000 new jobs? What will all these new employees do, train robot replacements?
These jobs are managerial or tech jobs, they are not like the fulfillment centres which are warehouses from which Amazon ships stuff. This will be the brains behind the operations. These people will program the robots.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure Amazon even cares about regulations and permitting. They are looking for the perfect city, and if they can get some of those bonus items, all the better. In the end, my belief is they will choose a 2nd HQ that has similar qualities to Seattle, and the business regs are secondary, but still somewhat important.

Again, look to Texas.
You've got me mulling over Austin more and more but I hardly think it's a done deal. I read the RFP in its entirety and it was very detailed and comprehensive. If you already had a candidate chosen why go to such painstaking lengths to draft such a detailed RFP? Plus it's a really ****ty thing to do to ask cities across the country to devote resources to proposals when you already know who you're going to pick. Amazon didn't have to do this. They chose to. It doesn't seem like anything is final at this point.

None of the cities will get an A+ on the RFP. None. Best will be an A-/B+. But I think Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, and Austin are at the top of the class. They all fall short of Amazon's wishlist in some ways but nail it in others.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 AM

6 posts, read 3,862 times
Pittsburgh is growing and is certainly affordable for an eastern city. Amazon would help the economy and it would be great to see a place with such wonderful people, embrace Amazon.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 AM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You've got me mulling over Austin more and more but I hardly think it's a done deal. I read the RFP in its entirety and it was very detailed and comprehensive. If you already had a candidate chosen why go to such painstaking lengths to draft such a detailed RFP? Plus it's a really ****ty thing to do to ask cities across the country to devote resources to proposals when you already know who you're going to pick. Amazon didn't have to do this. They chose to. It doesn't seem like anything is final at this point.

None of the cities will get an A+ on the RFP. None. Best will be an A-/B+. But I think Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, and Austin are at the top of the class. They all fall short of Amazon's wishlist in some ways but nail it in others.
This is one of the most reasoned and 'real world' posts in this thread to date, so many thanks to you Bluefox.

After traveling for a week and being unable to post, I must say that after reading through this thread I am totally amused at all of the heads exploding at the mere mention of Atlanta being in the running.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:33 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is one of the most reasoned and 'real world' posts in this thread to date, so many thanks to you Bluefox.

After traveling for a week and being unable to post, I must say that after reading through this thread I am totally amused at all of the heads exploding at the mere mention of Atlanta being in the running.
I was admittedly an Atlanta naysayer initially but after further review, I must admit it checks a lot of Amazon's boxes. It is a stronger contender than it's given credit for. One of the things that sets it apart from an isolated city like for example Denver is that in addition to its homegrown talent it casts a wider regional net. It could totally tap into NC talent for example. It's similar to Chicago in this regard.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:50 AM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I was admittedly an Atlanta naysayer initially but after further review, I must admit it checks a lot of Amazon's boxes. It is a stronger contender than it's given credit for. One of the things that sets it apart from an isolated city like for example Denver is that in addition to its homegrown talent it casts a wider regional net. It could totally tap into NC talent for example. It's similar to Chicago in this regard.
Exactly. We are totally tapped into the entire East Coast, from Boston to Miami. There are pretty much hourly (or less) flights to every major City, the connectivity is beyond impressive.

The homegrown talent provided by Georgia Tech in particular is fueling our current tech boom, being on Amazon's radar seems to be a validation of this.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,981,261 times
Every city in an eastern state has access to the other cities for talent. It's not a unique attribute to anyone of the cities. It's simply a minus for say, Denver or other more remote cities.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:14 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. We are totally tapped into the entire East Coast, from Boston to Miami. There are pretty much hourly (or less) flights to every major City, the connectivity is beyond impressive.

The homegrown talent provided by Georgia Tech in particular is fueling our current tech boom, being on Amazon's radar seems to be a validation of this.
Yep, even has it down to the details of mass transit to the airport.

Maybe a boom of people in the city with well-paying jobs that are favorable towards mass transit might actually swing more funding towards MARTA and making it better and used by everyone.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:10 AM

9,839 posts, read 11,437,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
agreed, maybe only Penn Station or GCS in NYC has more one-seat ride rail transit access directly available than does SYs

I would argue that no single location in DC, Boston or Chicago has more connected one seat ride access like 30th does including airport and other city rail access let alone any other cities. On that front it really excels

in fact the place itself not only has direct rail access to PHL but is in and of itself already an arrival/destination code (ticketed) share for United via Amtrak to EWR
The site I selected has even greater rail transit access. The site is in walking distance to Union Station, Gallery Place Metro Station, and Metro Center Metro Station. Those offer one seat rides to every place in the region including three international airports Dulles, Reagan, and BWI. There isn't another available area in the entire nation with 8 million square feet ready to break ground now with developers just waiting for a tenant than DC has around the area I highlighted. I don't think there is a more prominent area available for 8 million square feet either. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or