U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I agree but I think his point is that it's sort of a buyers market with tech jobs. They want to attract top talent and they have to compete with other tech giants for that. So being in a city where people want to move is a factor. I'm not quite sure what makes Austin so much more attractive than Atlanta however and it actually falls short of Atlanta in many regards. But again, that's why they are emphasizing regional talent. So much easier to recruit.
Yes though many of these places dont have an issue attracted educated people. And you say region. There may likely already be more tech employees within 100 miles of Philly for example then exist in all of Washington and Oregon State as one example but do get your point

Comcast is having no issues filling its new 1M square foot tech operation. But yes some cities do have more tech cache. I see this in the pharma where many west coast struggle to get the right skill sets which are in more abundance in the northeast where a significant majority of jobs and the people with skill sets are so yes understand.

On pharma and Amazon's desire to make big splash in prescription drug and pharma distribution. Hmmm. A ton of that skill set in the Philly area in a very much more complex and regulated industry than most of the current Amazon business

Old 09-16-2017, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not an issue for Atlanta, as it is actually more connected globally than Seattle is.
It's also far, far more diverse. Most of the west coast is white. Especially the PNW.

Seattle is a better city in may ways than Atlanta. But Atlanta is much more of a global city than Seattle. Granted, you may have to drive 30 minutes, because you will be driving in Atlanta.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 PM

5,293 posts, read 3,508,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerouter View Post
Seattle is a great, great city. Atlanta is indeed not well know, at least not how much activity and business goes on.
This tells me you are either a young West Coast college student that just enrolled, or you've never left your Mom's basement.

There's a HUGE and important other more than half of a Country out there!

Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,368,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes though many of these places dont have an issue attracted educated people. And you say region. There may likely already be more tech employees within 100 miles of Philly for example then exist in all of Washington and Oregon State as one example but do get your point

Comcast is having no issues filling its new 1M square foot tech operation. But yes some cities do have more tech cache. I see this in the pharma where many west coast struggle to get the right skill sets which are in more abundance in the northeast where a significant majority of jobs and the people with skill sets are so yes understand.

On pharma and Amazon's desire to make big splash in prescription drug and pharma distribution. Hmmm. A ton of that skill set in the Philly area in a very much more complex and regulated industry than most of the current Amazon business
Yeah, that's why Philly immediately came to mind as a candidate. It's pretty uniquely situated in that it is affordable, has good infrastructure, and also extremely close to an enormous pool of talent. It definitely has its advantages in this regard.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 2,574 times
Quote:
This tells me you are either a young West Coast college student that just enrolled, or you've never left your Mom's basement.

There's a HUGE and important other more than half of a Country out there!
You misread what I write. If I were a west coast student, I'd be stealing investor money since all the jobs have left for the south and Texas.

Mom? No longer with us.

Cheer up - Your town Atlanta has nowhere to go but up. As opposed to Chi/Bos.. Said not with glee.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Quote:
And you would be very wrong. Take a look at the top companies based in Atlanta, and rethink what you just posted. All of our top firms are very global in stature, and always have been.

Coca-Cola, Delta & UPS are about as global as it can possibly get. Throw in the CDC, and we've been at this long before Seattle was nothing more than an important regional City that happened to sell planes and lumber overseas. Georgia Tech produces some of the top Tech talent every year, just as much if not moreso than UW does.

Some of you in Seattle really need to bring the reality notch back down a little....
Do you EVER stop to read before getting defensive? I said "recruiting the world's top tech talent" not which city has a more global focus.

Also I'm pretty sure Amazon, Starbucks, Microsoft, Boeing, Costco, etc., are leading global brands too. And the Gates Foundation while we're at it. And seaports.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:56 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Atlanta is known around the world for many reasons. Let's start with the airport, which is either #1 or #2 in the US on a consistent basis. Then, there is CNN. While they farm out some programmng to New York, it is still based in Atlanta. Thirdly, it is indeed a corporate city with Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines, Home Depot, and UPS to name a few.

That said, Seattle is in the same league. Don't need to repeat all the huge Seattle area companies, but the two cities
are similar. Yes, metro Atlanta is larger in population, but both are growing and continue to shine. Oh, and both have suburban areas that rank among the biggest in the U.S., Seattle with Bellevue, and Atlanta with Buckhead (though Buckhead is part of Atlanta proper).

But this thread is not really about Atlanta vs. Seattle. It is about which city will land Amazon HQ 2. I think Atlanta has a shot, but there are also some strong competitors that don't happen to be in the State of Georgia.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,670,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Atlanta is known around the world for many reasons. Let's start with the airport, which is either #1 or #2 in the US on a consistent basis. Then, there is CNN. While they farm out some programmng to New York, it is still based in Atlanta. Thirdly, it is indeed a corporate city with Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines, Home Depot, and UPS to name a few.
Hartsfield is definitely top for the amount of passengers but, it's really not that nice of an airport.

To me, Atlanta has overgrown it's infrastructure to the point that almost next to nothing can cripple the city. If Amazon chooses Atl, I already feel bad for the folks that choose to live in the suburbs. Hopefully they would be able to find a decent location to build, I mean Porsche built their NA HQ right in the middle of the ghetto, I'm sure the employees love it.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:49 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,693,741 times
Hartsfield is never mentioned as one of the best airports in the US, but it does serve as the #1 hub in the US, with O'Hare snipping at their numbers every now and again. It is interesting that Hartsfield was built in the early 80's and is already considered somewhat outdated. However, they manage to continue to bring in and out thousands of flights everyday and that is quite an accomplishment.

Back to Amazon, I'm not sure they are looking for a huge airport, that part of their requirements were never spelled out exactly, just flights to Seattle and other major cities, which ATL certainly has. But many other cities have direct and/or nonstop flights to Seattle.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:19 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,595,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Hartsfield is definitely top for the amount of passengers but, it's really not that nice of an airport.
New international terminal opened in 2012; major improvements currently being made to concourses. Domestic terminal renovation/expansion and Plane Train upgrades are just now starting. Planning for another new runway is underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or