U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:15 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,980,515 times

Advertisements

Every city who will bid will have an airport, corporations etc.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:11 AM

5,294 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Do you EVER stop to read before getting defensive? I said "recruiting the world's top tech talent" not which city has a more global focus.

Also I'm pretty sure Amazon, Starbucks, Microsoft, Boeing, Costco, etc., are leading global brands too. And the Gates Foundation while we're at it. And seaports.
Perhaps if you didn't continually 'talk down' to Atlanta and other places not named Seattle you would get different responses.

Your arrogance is beyond annoying, in post after post.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,980,515 times
Quote:
And you're simplistic and not very intelligent.
I'm not going to get into a juvenile conversation with you. I merely responded to what was written.
You already had a comment removed for such reasons.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM

9,839 posts, read 11,437,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well with every regional rail line,NJT, multiple Amtrak lines (62 mins to NYC, Baltimore 74 mins, DC 95 mins), subways, underground trolley (multiple routes) directly below the site in Philly I would argue even moreso but am sure you will disagree (its also right where two highways meet and 95 is one mile away. Also has direct rail one seat to PHL and EWR (BWI for that matter too). Also bus terminals. I honestly think offers more direct one seat rail access then the DC location but we can agree to disagree

plus 15+M sq feet waiting to break ground
Is it 15 million sq. feet of office space? I didn't know it was that much. That's incredible! Amazon or not, that's going to be a city inside a city. How much residential space is being added to the 15 million square feet of office space? How tall would the buildings have to be to provide a campus with 15 million sq. ft. of office space in walking distance to a HRT station?

As for your commuter rail versus HRT argument, can we really compare them? I go to Philly often for work and have friends there. The biggest issue I have with Philly is the lack of frequency for SEPTA commuter rail lines. I do love that the HRT lines run 24/7. That doesn't help if you need to move around the region though. Do you think SEPTA commuter rail compares to DC's metro system?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I'm not going to get into a juvenile conversation with you. I merely responded to what was written.
You already had a comment removed for such reasons.
You already went 'juvenile' with your nasty post about me, as you have done in the past in the Atlanta forum.

You are injecting your existing issues with me into a thread that has nothing to do with past incidents. Grow up, and quit trying to derail this thread.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM

6,021 posts, read 13,544,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
No its 2017, Trump beat Clinton in GA by over 5 percentage points, and Karen Handel beat Jon Ossoff in the congressional special election. Both the state and this seat went red. You can be "pro-business" and red as well, they are two separate issues. Compare this to Illinois where Chicago is located, and Trump only got 38% of the vote.

I don't know if Bezos even cares on leanings red or blue, but don't pretend GA isn't naturally red. I am not saying this is good or bad in any way, just a fact.
IMHO, the politics of Georgia will affect Atlanta as much as the politics of Texas affects Austin. Meaning that these cities have already gained a bit of a reputation for not being bogged down by the conservative politics of its state. I could say the same for Nashville and maybe even Ann Arbor. The same can't be said for Raleigh, Cleveland, or some other cities.

Trying to look at this from an outsider perspective, but North Carolina seems to have doubled down on its conservative rhetoric over the years with some disastrous results, the Rust Belt still has a ton of image issues (the high crime rates of cities like Chicago, Philly, and Baltimore without the perceived access to progressive values and culture these cities have). Amazon is already a pretty liberal work environment (maybe less so than some other big tech companies like Facebook) and they will also be drawing in international talent that will very likely be from different parts of South and East Asia. I can see them going with a city that has a higher perceived crime rate like Chicago than a city with a higher perceived rate of racial incidents and prejudice like, sadly, the majority of the South and parts of the Rust Belt (save for, again, Atlanta and Nashville).

Old 09-17-2017, 09:54 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm very, VERY surprised that DFW (especially) nor Houston is on this list.

But I voted for Atlanta out of the options given.

Yet they put Austin. Dallas would be a candidate way before Austin. It's more centrally located which would be advantageous. There's also not a single Midwestern city (really the closest to a central city is Austin) either. I would add Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis and Chicago to this. Don't know why Toronto which isn't even in the US is here but not those cities which are all ready huge business hubs and more in the middle. I would also add Nashville.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986matthew View Post
Somewhere in Mexico. Why the USA?
Why Mexico? They've taken enough American jobs as it is. Why doesn't Mexico have their own major start up?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Also on HR vs RR - no doubt the shorter headways are better would not try to suggest otherwise

But should point out that millions of people use RR to commute daily and adapt pretty easily to schedules on things like NJT, LIRR, Metro North, SEPTA, MBTA etc some with better or worse headways than SEPTA and again is but one more comprehensive coverage option for the site as HR options exist there (SY) too

Maybe they should petition to change the river name to Amazon2, ha

Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 AM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
and on your residential question Philly has the opposite situation of DC we need jobs more badly than DT residential and this whole complex straddles already developed residential with more room to grow from places within a 5 minutes walk

this is in UCity which already has 100K workers, 70K of those working in this neighborhood walk, bike or take PT as is, the residential density of U City I probably already 20K plus so residents are not an issue so to speak in Philly job creation is
If Amazon goes for the "similar to the current HQ" approach, residential growth will be a big part of it. Figure about 10,000 units occupied by Amazonians within walking distance at full buildout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or