U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If Amazon goes for the "similar to the current HQ" approach, residential growth will be a big part of it. Figure about 10,000 units occupied by Amazonians within walking distance at full buildout.

as we speak there are 3-5K under construction or late plans within 5 minutes walk and plans for as many as 3-5K within the actually site not broken ground

this area is laiden with residential already and adding more all the time, job creation is the laggard in a sense though I think UCity added about 10K jobs in the last 5 years and about 8K residential. Its also directly next to CC (even closer than is Lake Union in this sense) maybe the mot mixed use DT in the country as is (residential/commercial)

Lake Union in a way has similarities to a UCity or Cambridge but is earlier in its development more like a SOMA in SF, just without the directly adjacent universities though UW isnt that far more like Temple distance in the relative sense as opposed to directly adjacent to a Penn or Drexel or MIT or Havard BU in the Cambridge example

Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
^I'm beginning to believe that Philly would be the best choice.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 AM

5,441 posts, read 8,144,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why Mexico? They've taken enough American jobs as it is. Why doesn't Mexico have their own major start up?
What an unfortunate post.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:24 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,978,131 times
Quote:
Yet they put Austin. Dallas would be a candidate way before Austin. It's more centrally located which would be advantageous. There's also not a single Midwestern city (really the closest to a central city is Austin) either. I would add Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis and Chicago to this. Don't know why Toronto which isn't even in the US is here but not those cities which are all ready huge business hubs and more in the middle. I would also add Nashville.
What's interesting is how Amazon weights their criteria or how a city like Austin would fair. On one hand, it's attractive from a tech stand point, has UT right there. On the other hand, it's lacking in transit.

Quote:
Don't know why Toronto which isn't even in the US
Why wouldn't it be a consideration?

Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
Amazon is a global company, a large segment of its workforce comes from overseas and they work on H1B or L1 visas. This allows Amazon to find the necessary talent it needs but in a cost effective manner since these foreign workers typically make much less than their American born and raised counterparts.

Whatever city Amazon chooses, you can best bet that they want a place that is strong with regard to attracting H1B visa types. This is why Amazon went out of its way to emphasize North America as a whole, as it gives Toronto a huge leg up with regard to attracting talent from the global reaches of the world. Toronto's bid faces other sorts of impediments such as cost of living and the fact that it would be located in another country, which would inherently slow down intra-regional travel since you have to go through international customs in airport facilities. However, the ability to attract and pull talent from across the globe is a major strength for Toronto.

H1B hotspots in the United States by city limits: https://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2...gory.aspx?T=WC

HIB hotspots in the United States by metropolitan regions (pages # 12 & 14): https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...mmigration.pdf

The sources are two different ones, the city limits source is more up to date with the recent years, whereas the metropolitan region one is now 6 years old but the data today would still reflect the same places in nearly the same order.

Either way, a bigger market city with the necessary tech talent and infrastructure in place, in addition to a gateway like airport for both internally within the country and externally for global connectivity would likely be a boon for all potential bidders.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:45 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
Apparently Amazon has been having internal discussions for years with regard to a second corporate headquarters and in the recent past contemplated Toronto for their second headquarters. These internal conversations tell me that this is something that has been on their drawing board for years and while they will seek bids from everyone and likely wont rule out anyone until the very end, that they have an idea of a roundabout short list already in mind for their second headquarters. Probably just a small handful of cities, I'd suspect. Just my thoughts though.

It makes a whole lot of sense. This is a report on the start-up genome project, which ranks tech ecosystems with regard to intensive and extensive connectivity and assesses a market's performance, market reach, talent pool, funding, and start-up experience. It is, needless to say, an extensive report and is, by some experts, often regarded as the creme of the crop of tech reports given the amount they spend to put it together but also because of the panel of experts they bring in from Brookings Institution, A.T. Kearney, CBRE, and the like to weigh in the construction of the report. Brookings Institution is regarded as the world's preeminent think-tank, from my experience with them, just about everything they do is pure high quality gold. Pages # 28 & 29 are key in this report.

http://d1i53wesras4r4.cloudfront.net...Report2017.pdf

What their assessment is based off of (needless to say, as comprehensive as it gets):

Toronto is widely regarded as a preeminent tech market, in nearly every facet. As the report outlines, Top 20 in the world for sure. It is an elite tech pool and has all the necessary talent to get to work on this thing. Its global aspects are to its advantage. An airport with a service destination on all 6 continents of the world that people live in, a diverse population, an intelligent population, and a tech-centric economy. A stellar university system, an urban vision, and a transport heavy culture (by North American standards). Areas of the city to build out an urban campus and areas in the suburbs for a potential suburban campus, if Amazon chooses to go that route.

I view Toronto as a legit contender for this. It's a tough out, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon chose them in the end, especially given the fact that they were directly considering Toronto, by itself, for this in recent years. I also find both Toronto and Seattle to be hella similar cities, minus the topography, but in most other facets, they sort of remind me of a big brother and little brother sort of thing (Seattle is the American city that is most like Toronto, IMO). Just personal experience on that end though.

Last edited by JMT; 09-18-2017 at 04:06 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 03:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 963,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why do you feel that Amazon's requirements aren't the requirements Amazon is looking for?
Amazon's "requirements" don't require a rail link to the airport.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 PM

229 posts, read 119,491 times
Quote:
we've been at this long before Seattle was nothing more than an important regional City that happened to sell planes and lumber overseas. Georgia Tech produces some of the top Tech talent every year, just as much if not moreso than UW does.

Some of you in Seattle really need to bring the reality notch back down a little....
There's a lot of irony in this statement.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 PM

831 posts, read 932,747 times
I know I have said this before but I think crime is a big issue. It doesn't mean a hoot to the top brass itself as they will be taxied to their offices from the expensive homes in ultra wealth communities. It IS however a big deal to the vast majority of people.

These are not warehouse workers or kitchen help but rather the most sought after employees the world has to offer. These are people who can get a very high paying job anywhere, anytime they damn well please. This is where quality of life issues {like crime} come into play. A high quality of life is not just a social benefit but also good economic policy. It allows a city to draw the best and brightest. It also means they have excellent schools and good modern infrastructure which is equally important if you want to keep those new employees.

In this crucial area, Toronto is the front runner followed by Boston.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:25 PM

114 posts, read 79,990 times
It will be Denver. No one expects it to be but everyone will be surprised when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or