Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:44 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,969,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
It will be Denver. No one expects it to be but everyone will be surprised when it happens.
I won't be surprised when Denver isn't chosen.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,336,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I know I have said this before but I think crime is a big issue. It doesn't mean a hoot to the top brass itself as they will be taxied to their offices from the expensive homes in ultra wealth communities. It IS however a big deal to the vast majority of people.

These are not warehouse workers or kitchen help but rather the most sought after employees the world has to offer. These are people who can get a very high paying job anywhere, anytime they damn well please. This is where quality of life issues {like crime} come into play. A high quality of life is not just a social benefit but also good economic policy. It allows a city to draw the best and brightest. It also means they have excellent schools and good modern infrastructure which is equally important if you want to keep those new employees.

In this crucial area, Toronto is the front runner followed by Boston.
Again, Mr. Moo, you don't understand how COL issues in Toronto and Boston would cripple a worker who makes $100k a year. Toronto and Boston are both very expensive places to live right now and add 50,000 workers and the place gets prohibitively expensive, possibly fueling social issues such as social relocation in Dorchester and Roxbury in Boston and making an area with scarce housing a dogfight. In Toronto, I am constantly appalled at the housing HGTV shows which show a $700,000 fixer duplex half in an average area that needs $150,000 sold to a couple; if its that bad now, how the heck bad will it be with a corporation like Amazon moving in? How incredibly myopic are you to ignore COL issues that would arise in already expensive and crowded areas where there are already tech wars?

I went to school in Boston, and the former cowpaths that are now roads are saturated, and would become impassable with Amazon moving in. Many cities on the list, Austin, Denver, DC are in the same boat. It is for that reason that Chicago and Atlanta are light years ahead not only in the polls, but in common sense. A city like Chicago, with vast swaths of reasonable priced real estate on train lines that are very low crime makes far more sense than enslaving workers with high real estate that eats away at the very income they had hoped that would support them. Modern infrastructure on the T in Boston? Are you kidding? Crime in bad areas of a city is isolated in many cases ( Chicago is a good example ) but unlivable real estate prices forcing workers into apartments or in far off areas away from rapid transit are a reality for ALL workers, particularly young Millennials. your crime theory is really nonsense to me.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Again, Mr. Moo, you don't understand how COL issues in Toronto and Boston would cripple a worker who makes $100k a year. Toronto and Boston are both very expensive places to live right now and add 50,000 workers and the place gets prohibitively expensive, possibly fueling social issues such as social relocation in Dorchester and Roxbury in Boston and making an area with scarce housing a dogfight. In Toronto, I am constantly appalled at the housing HGTV shows which show a $700,000 fixer duplex half in an average area that needs $150,000 sold to a couple; if its that bad now, how the heck bad will it be with a corporation like Amazon moving in? How incredibly myopic are you to ignore COL issues that would arise in already expensive and crowded areas where there are already tech wars?

I went to school in Boston, and the former cowpaths that are now roads are saturated, and would become impassable with Amazon moving in. Many cities on the list, Austin, Denver, DC are in the same boat. It is for that reason that Chicago and Atlanta are light years ahead not only in the polls, but in common sense. A city like Chicago, with vast swaths of reasonable priced real estate on train lines that are very low crime makes far more sense than enslaving workers with high real estate that eats away at the very income they had hoped that would support them. Modern infrastructure on the T in Boston? Are you kidding? Crime in bad areas of a city is isolated in many cases ( Chicago is a good example ) but unlivable real estate prices forcing workers into apartments or in far off areas away from rapid transit are a reality for ALL workers, particularly young Millennials. your crime theory is really nonsense to me.
I'd rep you again if it would let me. Excellent post. I particularly agree that Chicago and Atlanta's crime issues are largely isolated to certain areas, not remotely close to where Amazon would relocate or where Amazon workers would live. Crime isn't even an afterthought for most people in these areas.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 AM

122 posts, read 128,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I won't be surprised when Denver isn't chosen.
Why would that be? It's been in the talks constantly about being a city that has a good chance of getting Amazon.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 AM

122 posts, read 128,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'd rep you again if it would let me. Excellent post. I particularly agree that Chicago and Atlanta's crime issues are largely isolated to certain areas, not remotely close to where Amazon would relocate or where Amazon workers would live. Crime isn't even an afterthought for most people in these areas.
I suggest you read that article about put out a while ago by the New York Tomes that said Denver has the best chance. They explained it in detail and why the other cities were not chosen.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 AM

13,944 posts, read 14,835,246 times
Quote:

You understand for Boston or Toronto 50,000 jobs is something like 1.5-2% of the market right?
None of these cities (save Raleigh) would become company towns, this isn't a Kodac in Rochester situation where almost 20% of the city is going to work for this company it would be a welcome addition not a game changer.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 AM

6,780 posts, read 5,922,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I suggest you read that article about put out a while ago by the New York Tomes that said Denver has the best chance. They explained it in detail and why the other cities were not chosen.
Iirc, that article ruled out Boston by saying that the city wasn't interested in hosting Amazon. However, I don't know if the NYT was really on the ball in reporting that.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,336,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You understand for Boston or Toronto 50,000 jobs is something like 1.5-2% of the market right?
None of these cities (save Raleigh) would become company towns, this isn't a Kodac in Rochester situation where almost 20% of the city is going to work for this company it would be a welcome addition not a game changer.
Boston has 600,000 plus people. The average family has 2.1 or so members. 50,000 x 2.1= 105,000 potential people in an area that now is expensive and tight. Add the metro area which many would have to live on and there would be chaos on main roads like Rt. 9 going to downtown; if it was in an area like Burlington, no transit whatsoever. It would not be a company town, no one is saying that, but would be a different far more unlivable town because of its inablility to handle a number like that.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 AM

13,944 posts, read 14,835,246 times
Quote:
Boston has 600,000 plus people. The average family has 2.1 or so members. 50,000 x 2.1= 105,000 potential people in an area that now is expensive and tight. Add the metro area which many would have to live on and there would be chaos on main roads like Rt. 9 going to downtown; if it was in an area like Burlington, no transit whatsoever. It would not be a company town, no one is saying that, but would be a different far more unlivable town because of its inablility to handle a number like that.
The Boston metro has about 2.4 million jobs adding 50K would not cripple the city.
Bostons traffic is far better than Chicago, Atlanta or Miami or most comparable sized cities anyway.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:30 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,801,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Boston metro has about 2.4 million jobs adding 50K would not cripple the city.
Bostons traffic is far better than Chicago, Atlanta or Miami or most comparable sized cities anyway.
Far better? Maybe it's a little better, or maybe it's worse. Whatever it is it's not great. I agree with you that the Boston metro could absorb the Amazon jobs without chaos. But I think people in Boston feel like the city's already full and more full than they ever remember it ever being. They don't have the pro-growth attitude that some other cities have.

Even so, the Boston area could more easily absorb Amazon in a satellite location like Waltham or Lowell or Haverhill or Worcester. What's worrying people is the idea of putting it smack in the middle of Boston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.