U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 AM

601 posts, read 710,838 times

Advertisements

Austin seems like a natural choice, but I bet it's Boston.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,422,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If I'm. It mistaken isn't the current limit of headways more due to B and C lines being street running?
I think the headway limit has more to do with traffic in the tunnels and reducing the risk of rear-end collisions. My earlier comment comes from looking at old maps, for example, a Boston Elevated Railway map from 1932. It shows streetcars entering the Tremont St tunnel from Tremont Street, Roxbury and from Broadway, south Boston. Then a Public Garden portal for Huntington Ave cars from Jamaica Plain and Chestnut Hill. At Massachusetts Ave it shows a portal for cars entering the Boylston St tunnel from Ipswich St and Brookline Ave. And at Kenmore there are cars coming in from Lake Street (now the C line), Reservoir (B line), and Watertown (later the now discontinued A line).

That's a lot more lines feeding into the same tunnels we have today! I guess back then they relied on the operators to be alert -- no texting while driving!

Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 AM

149 posts, read 133,676 times
The winner will be in the Eastern Time zone. Atlanta, Pittsburgh, or Raleigh. Everywhere else is too expensive.

Atlanta to me has the edge, given that it has the third largest metro system on the East Coast (behind New York and DC), which is one of the "qualifiers". But hey, I'm biased!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM

4,452 posts, read 7,518,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
The winner will be in the Eastern Time zone. Atlanta, Pittsburgh, or Raleigh. Everywhere else is too expensive.

Atlanta to me has the edge, given that it has the third largest metro system on the East Coast (behind New York and DC), which is one of the "qualifiers". But hey, I'm biased!
I think Philly and Boston have to disagree here...

SEPTA system length: 450 miles (subway and commuter rail)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEPTA

MBTA system length: 432 miles (subway and commuter rail)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massac...tion_Authority

MARTA system length: 48 miles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...nsit_Authority

Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Atlanta, Boston, and DC are the top 3 I'd be looking at if I was Bezos.

Atlanta has the airport, eastern time, great credit rating, Georgia Tech, Georgia is business friendly, lower taxes and COL, MARTA, UPS HQ is in town, and a great place for corporate synergy

DC has the culture, liberal progressiveness and active lifestyles, Arlington/Reston/Tysons have been built for projects like these and companies like this, Metro, 3 major airports to choose from, eastern time and proximity to other BosWash cities, and is a millennial friendly metro, and DC is the healthiest and highest living metro in the country

Boston has the urban living, tech presence, eastern time, proximity to other BosWash cities, world class education (so much that they have their own wikipedia page), and is probably the closest thing to an east coast version of Seattle

Imo it'd be on the east coast. NY is NY, but imo it's a tight squeeze, taxes are high, and housing is scarce. Chicago is cheaper yet gives that NY feel, but Illinois is a mess. Dallas? Nah. Houston? Nah. Minneapolis? Hmm, maybe? But what do they offer that Boston, Atlanta, and DC can't? Austin? Makes some sense, but I don't see it. Florida? Not really the right climate - no pun intended. Nashville? Too small - the labor pool isn't there, yet at least, and no transit.

Charlotte? Possible dark horse, but is the labor pool there? Raleigh Durham? Another dark horse. Great QOL, housing, and education, but still may be too small in labor and airport. And the location isn't as proximal. Pittsburgh? Tech is growing, but nah.

People here are overstating COL in my opinion. Amazon's #1 concern is what's best for their business growth. Sure housing in Boston may be expensive, but with such an educated and tech savvy labor pool, it's almost like who cares? Sure they want their employees to afford to live, but more importantly they want employees who can do the job in the first place.

Imo it's those 3. I guess Toronto makes a case too. But like everyone else, I have no idea and could be completely wrong. It could go to Denver, or very well NYC. Or maybe they'll go left field and pick Nashville after all even with no transit. We'll see soon enough.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:28 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

MARTA system length: 48 miles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrop...nsit_Authority

And even just limited to HR systems Philly has a total 65 miles of HR/subways (SEPTA and PATCO) and that is before adding in the LRT or regional rail lines (280 miles of which) not to mention 3.5x4 times or so the daily rail riders when compared to Atlanta

Boston would be similar if not more

Old 09-18-2017, 12:33 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Atlanta, Boston, and DC are the top 3 I'd be looking at if I was Bezos.

Atlanta has the airport, eastern time, great credit rating, Georgia Tech, Georgia is business friendly, lower taxes and COL, MARTA, UPS HQ is in town, and a great place for corporate synergy

DC has the culture, liberal progressiveness and active lifestyles, Arlington/Reston/Tysons have been built for projects like these and companies like this, Metro, 3 major airports to choose from, eastern time and proximity to other BosWash cities, and is a millennial friendly metro, and DC is the healthiest and highest living metro in the country

Boston has the urban living, tech presence, eastern time, proximity to other BosWash cities, world class education (so much that they have their own wikipedia page), and is probably the closest thing to an east coast version of Seattle

Imo it'd be on the east coast. NY is NY, but imo it's a tight squeeze, taxes are high, and housing is scarce. Chicago is cheaper yet gives that NY feel, but Illinois is a mess. Dallas? Nah. Houston? Nah. Minneapolis? Hmm, maybe? But what do they offer that Boston, Atlanta, and DC can't? Austin? Makes some sense, but I don't see it. Florida? Not really the right climate - no pun intended. Nashville? Too small - the labor pool isn't there, yet at least, and no transit.

Charlotte? Possible dark horse, but is the labor pool there? Raleigh Durham? Another dark horse. Great QOL, housing, and education, but still may be too small in labor and airport. And the location isn't as proximal. Pittsburgh? Tech is growing, but nah.

People here are overstating COL in my opinion. Amazon's #1 concern is what's best for their business growth. Sure housing in Boston may be expensive, but with such an educated and tech savvy labor pool, it's almost like who cares? Sure they want their employees to afford to live, but more importantly they want employees who can do the job in the first place.

Imo it's those 3. I guess Toronto makes a case too. But like everyone else, I have no idea and could be completely wrong. It could go to Denver, or very well NYC. Or maybe they'll go left field and pick Nashville after all even with no transit. We'll see soon enough.

Its interesting that very few people even mention Philly (except a few) is purely perception driving this as the city may meet the criteria as well or arguably better than any mentioned

Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM

5,182 posts, read 3,714,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Yeah, I had to re-read that response to believe it. The train system in Atlanta "MARTA" is a joke and goes practically nowhere outside the city limits. Even within the city limits, it's a sad transit system. Hard plastic seats, sketchy characters (especially after dark!), mumbling conductors that sound like they hate their job, dirty stations, etc. If Atlanta was selected, very few Amazon employees would use MARTA. Anyone with kids will want to live in the far North suburbs where there's no Marta anyway so they would all drive. Good luck with that!

I'd pick any Northern city on the East coast over Atlanta any day of the week.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 09-18-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM

831 posts, read 933,039 times
I don't think Charlotte, Raleigh, or Pittsburgh have much of a chance. Char/Ral have very little public transit and what they do have is miserable to say the least. Pitt has some decent transit but none of the 3 offer good airport service. Cleveland beats them on all and has a very rich cultural/artistic/sports/multicultural/liberal offerings as well as one of the best rail airport/downtown rail services in NA.

I never said CoL was not a factor, it clearly is. It is Bos/Tor challenges just as crime is to Chicago. It should also be noted that anyone wanting to live downtown {where the head office will probably be and where most educated & liberal professionals will want to be} the public schools are sub-standard to say the least These educated workers would want their children to enjoy superior education and in run down school districts that would mean private schools which greatly adds to the CoL.

Toronto does have the built in subsidy that no US city can offer........the dollar. With slightly lower wages and raising most revenue in US dollars but paying in DN ones that means that you could hire 50,000 Canadians for 35,000 Americans. That's massive savings year after year, decade after decade and not some one time tax offering. Canadian corporate taxes are also 40% lower than American ones.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM

1,593 posts, read 832,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yeah, I had to re-read that response to believe it. The train system in Atlanta "MARTA" is a joke and goes practically nowhere outside the city limits. Even within the city limits, it's a sad transit system. Hard plastic seats, sketchy characters all over the place, mumbling conductors that sound like they hate their job, dirty stations, etc. If Atlanta was selected, very few Amazon employees would use MARTA. They would all drive and good luck with that!
I think that's just what you call the subway in every city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or