U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Detroit's bid is being led by Dan Gilbert, and they will be working with Windsor to make it a collaborative, International bid with their Canadian neighbor.

Detroit's proposal for Amazon headquarters also may include Canada

Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 PM

61 posts, read 44,989 times
Austin, DC, Atlanta, and Chicago seem like the top choices to me. Denver might be too far West.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM

5,182 posts, read 3,711,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I think that's just what you call the subway in every city.
Chicago Metra is on a different level. Professional conductors, double-decker cars with comfy leather seats, a super smooth ride and a system that extends deep into all suburbs, even on the Indiana side with the South Shore.

https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/system-map

Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times
MARTA is cleaner and nicer than ANY other heavy rail system I have ever ridden on with the possible exception of Metro in Washington, D.C. which is "as clean and nice" as MARTA. No it doesn't go everywhere. (or at least "enough places") but it does take you to major job centers and the airport within the perimeter and even up to Perimeter Center. When I worked uptown at Rich's, Lenox Square and took MARTA daily almost two decades ago, I REALLY thought that several of the train operators had rich smooth voices and bubbly personalities that would make them excellent radio hosts. Last few times I rode MARTA (my children think it is great fun) they had pre recorded announcements (dull, but NOT 'garbled") I am wondering how often flamadiddle has ridden MARTA.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
MARTA is cleaner and nicer than ANY other heavy rail system I have ever ridden on with the possible exception of Metro in Washington, D.C. which is "as clean and nice" as MARTA. No it doesn't go everywhere. (or at least "enough places") but it does take you to major job centers and the airport within the perimeter and even up to Perimeter Center. When I worked uptown at Rich's, Lenox Square and took MARTA daily almost two decades ago, I REALLY thought that several of the train operators had rich smooth voices and bubbly personalities that would make them excellent radio hosts. Last few times I rode MARTA (my children think it is great fun) they had pre recorded announcements (dull, but NOT 'garbled") I am wondering how often flamadiddle has ridden MARTA.
The fact that you allow your kids to ride Marta is all I needed to read. I would never, ever allow my kids to ride Marta.

Come to Chicago and ride Metra and then get back to me...

Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 PM

2,128 posts, read 1,426,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Chicago Metra is on a different level. Professional conductors, double-decker cars with comfy leather seats, a super smooth ride and a system that extends deep into all suburbs, even on the Indiana side with the South Shore.

https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/system-map

That's the difference between a Subway system and Commuter Rail! Atlanta doesn't have a Commuter rail system, only a Heavy Rail Subway...

Old 09-18-2017, 01:43 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times
I have never had a bad experience on a MARTA train. I feel like the "rider's bill of rights" that former manager, Parker instituted did a lot about quality of life issues on the system as a whole. I, as ANY FATHER, would never deliberately put my children within harms way, and I never felt that kind of vibe on MARTA. AND, when I taught in Atlanta Public Schools, many of my students also took MARTA trains and buses daily to school alone, safely. Once again I wonder how often the poster rode MARTA and if an "isolated bad experience" has colored his point of view of MARTA. If so, "perception is reality" to most people and if the poster's experiences fixed his perception, than that would be valid for him, but, he should come clean and clarify whether it was a "one time bad experience" or a "dreadful, traumatizing daily experience".

Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 PM

C'mon Clayton! I have a Breeze card and have probably rode Marta close to 50 times over the last decade. It's a terrible system! You probably read primaltech's recent experience riding Marta from the airport and I've experienced the same many, many times! Being the only white guy on the platform, having some sketchy black dude roaming the cars begging for money with no security to be seen, etc.

Do the kids enjoy the urine aroma wafting through the elevators/station too? > Doraville MARTA station is gross

Old 09-18-2017, 01:55 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its interesting that very few people even mention Philly (except a few) is purely perception driving this as the city may meet the criteria as well or arguably better than any mentioned
Dont take it personal. Philly didn't cross my mind, but I still wouldn't put it in my east coast top 3. If Amazon did choose Philly however, I'd call it a solid choice and a win for the northeast, which everyone loves to bag on.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:33 PM

4,448 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Its interesting that very few people even mention Philly (except a few) is purely perception driving this as the city may meet the criteria as well or arguably better than any mentioned
Indeed. I think for business-related aspects specifically, Philly still tends to get the short shrift on national level (even more specifically in terms of large corporate HQ presence, which is why it likely isn't as at the forefront in many folks' minds).

But that's precisely what makes it so attractive--even with relatively few F500 companies, it's still one of the largest, most successful metro areas in the country, with arguably the best 150-mile radius skilled talent pool in the US, and possibly the world.

The fact Philly that has comparatively little large corporate presence compared to many other large cities presents a fantastic opportunity for any company to have a high-profile, big-city presence but in a context that still enables them to make a big "splash." As I've said, even if Philly doesn't land Amazon, it's only a matter of time before another corporation taps into the incredible potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or