U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 AM

23,075 posts, read 35,028,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all. DFW is on fire, and has been landing some pretty impressive (and large) relocations lately.
As I said before, Bezos is already heavily invested (and deeply rooted) in the Lone Star State.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
In Canada sending your child to a private school is not the norm even for wealthy parents. This idea that "sending your kid to a private school is a given" does not apply to Toronto. In Canada sending your child to private schools is often looked down upon by society in general including upper income parents. It is equated to elitism which is strongly frowned upon in Canadian society. This is why in Canada there is no such thing as a gated community..........only condo complexes can be gated due to security.

Being in Toronto means that huge private school tuition is a savings that helps off-set the cost of living/housing.
Being in Boston Brookline, Cambridge, Quincy, Newton have exceptional Public schools and are on Rapid Transit, and the City proper has one of the best overall urban systems in the country.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 AM

229 posts, read 119,643 times
Quote:
Amazon is not going to move to a metro area with declining or flat population growth!
I don't think that you understand the dynamics of Pittsburgh's population trends. It was uniquely hit hard in the 80s (but this started in the 70s) in terms of massive mill closures. Tens of thousands of jobs at a time.

In the meantime, Pittsburgh has always been a corporate center too and that continued on. As did growth in tech and medicine.

However the impact of the industrial collapse caused something unique in Pittsburgh - natural decline.
More deaths than births in a given year.

So even if more people move into the area than leave (migration), Pittsburgh has to overcome that.

The fact is that many metros benefit from natural change more than migration.

In the last decade the city has become younger and much better for jobs. I don't see it as an issue for Amazon at all. In fact they already have invested in the city, along with Google, Uber and others.

Who knows what city will be picked, but it will be decided on the mix of their criteria in the RFP and of course incentives.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM

82 posts, read 37,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e.html?mcubz=1

I really think this is between TX, Atlanta, and Denver.

The analysis above is the best I have seen.

Only the top 10 cities listed here have any true shot. I'd say any city in the NY Times top 25 list has a realistic dark horse shot. For example, if (insert metro here in the 1-3 million range) gave Amazon a cakewalk deal that amounted to free land within 20 mins of a major airport(and possibly added more flights with the move) and tax abatements, they'd have to look at it.

I simply do not see ANY CHANCE of some these older rustbelt metros outside strong economies in places like Grand Rapids, Columbus, Indy. And that bunch is also in the darkhorse group. So...those hoping for Detroit...NOT gonna happen. As much as Pittsburgh sounds nice and I love the city and its tech scene is emerging, again, I just don't see it. Amazon is not going to move to a metro area with declining or flat population growth! Remember, these are some of the finest data analysts in the world.

Here is my list, given all of the above

1) Atlanta
2) Denver
3) Dallas
4) Boston
5) Washington DC
6) Austin
7) Miami
8) Portland
9) Raleigh
10) Nashville
11) Charlotte
12) Indianapolis
13) Houston
14) San Antonio
15) Louisville
16) Salt Lake City
17) San Francisco
18) NYC
19) San Jose
20) Riverside
21) Columbus
22) Orlando
23) OKC
24) Grand Rapids
25) New Orleans

Some of the cities in the 10-25 range could seem controversial, but I think the NY times has nailed it. Amazon wants something like Seattle, only much different....and one would HAVE to assume they want something east of the Mississippi. I really think the fact that they made the cutoff 1 million means their heart kind of wants a mid sized metro to save costs. That's why I have ranked mega cities like NYC lower.
I am very curious why you think Philadelphia is not even in the top 25. I understand there are a few problems but sites like the Schuylkill Yards fit the RFP almost perfectly yet no mention of it.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:03 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Good read from Forbes on the N/S Rail Link and the South Station/USPS area being a possible home for Amazon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bisnow/.../#30ba53dd53d5

Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Being in Boston Brookline, Cambridge, Quincy, Newton have exceptional Public schools and are on Rapid Transit, and the City proper has one of the best overall urban systems in the country.
I would also throw Somerville in there as well. The school system has been getting great reviews from people I trust who send their kids there.

As a parent of a child that used to be in the Cambridge public school system, I will say that there are many excellent urban schools in the core metro on transit. The public language immersion programs alone are worth the price living there.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,018,456 times
With recent weather events, I can't imagine Houston or Miami would be serious contenders.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:14 AM

229 posts, read 119,643 times
Quote:
I am very curious why you think Philadelphia is not even in the top 25. I understand there are a few problems but sites like the Schuylkill Yards fit the RFP almost perfectly yet no mention of it.
He doesn't mention the RFP regarding his list and it's clear that wasn't part of his, which makes the list pointless.

I don't understand why comments are made that ignore the RFP...??

Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 AM

5,280 posts, read 3,318,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
As I said before, Bezos is already heavily invested (and deeply rooted) in the Lone Star State.
But what about his new $23 million home in NOVA?

I do find it very entertaining reading all of the responses, not only on this thread, but others about Amazon's HQ2 on C-D. Some people trying to use any "tell" they can find, to know with certainly that the HQ2 will be going to XYZ city. Pretty soon people will be plane spotting, looking to where Bezos's private jet will be landing next!

Last edited by cjseliga; 09-19-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 AM

Saw this point mentioned on another forum and wanted to share here.

A huge selling point for Boston, Pittsburgh and LA? Schools which are considered the elite when it comes to AI programs. Also a sleeper in Toronto with Waterloo finishing just outside the top 10 in 11th when it comes to AI program rankings.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...#survey-answer

MIT, Carnegie Mellon and USC.

Bezos discussing Amazons future in AI:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...azon-s-success

Then to shareholders:

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/full-t...day-2-company/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or