U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
With recent weather events, I can't imagine Houston or Miami would be serious contenders.
Miami wouldn't be a serious contender in any case. It's simply not on the radar for these type of economic development/corporate expansion deals.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM

2,153 posts, read 2,665,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
I am very curious why you think Philadelphia is not even in the top 25. I understand there are a few problems but sites like the Schuylkill Yards fit the RFP almost perfectly yet no mention of it.

LOL, and he does not even have Chicago on the list. Philly and Chicago I would assume are considered to be in the top 4-5 given that they both check all the boxes where the vast majority of cities in his top 25 will not even be in the conversation at any stage.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
I think Chicago and Philly are the top two choices. They are the two cities that have big enough workforces that they could absorb an Amazon without changing the local dynamics too much but are also relatively inexpensive and are urban enough to have the transit they are looking for.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 AM

5,186 posts, read 3,721,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
Oh look, another racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, just your garden variety douche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Thank you for exposing your true intentions so that no one had to waste time taking you seriously.
When you can't dispute the facts, you turn to ad hominem attacks. How Atlanta of you!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM

23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
I am very curious why you think Philadelphia is not even in the top 25. I understand there are a few problems but sites like the Schuylkill Yards fit the RFP almost perfectly yet no mention of it.
I would put Philadelphia in the Top 5 at very least. Located dead center of BosWash, it somehow managed to elude the COL disadvantage that Boston, New York and Washington DC now enjoy.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
When you can't dispute the facts, you turn to ad hominem attacks. How Atlanta of you!
Yeah because we know that type of thing NEVER happens in Chicago: Beggars, shell game, stinkers: An awful CTA Red Line trip | CTA Tattler

http://www.chicagonow.com/cta-tattle...at-motorwoman/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_455884.html

Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM

23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Those are facts.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,330,102 times
It seems that commercial real-estate experts and panelists from around the United States believe that it will be one of these five cities and they have a pretty set frontrunner too (you'll have to open the link to read about that):
Quote:
Amazon’s search for a second national headquarters site is being likened to the Powerball lottery for economic development organizations. They’re all lining up to take a chance at the $5 billion investment jackpot that could result from landing the online retailer's mega-office requirement.

Several senior-level managers across CoStar's analytics team are working through Amazon’s official RFP requirements and list of preferences for its second headquarters complex to come up with a ranking of potential metros that fit best. Our analysis will also identify specific development projects capable of handling the HQ2 requirement within those markets and that have the economic drivers to make people want to build there.

We’ll publish a summary of that analysis in the coming days.

In tandem with that analysis, we asked hundreds of commercial real estate professionals across the country if they could bet on winner, on what market would they put their money. Five emerged as the clear frontrunners: Atlanta, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver and Nashville.

CRE Pros Rate Five US Cities as Top Prospects for Landing Amazon
The city of Atlanta, as well as Bloomberg view these places as its biggest competition:
Quote:
Bloomberg slotted the Big Peach among this shortlist of six: Toronto, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/9/18...es-expert-says
Those 6 that Bloomberg outlines are in line with the ones that I think will get it too, in addition to Chicago, New York, Austin, and San Francisco.

My personal ten finalists would be (in alphabetical order): Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, New York, San Francisco (Bay Area), Toronto, Washington DC. On a personal level, I don't envision a scenario where it isn't one of these places but that's just my own personal take in it all.

That being said, this Amazon HQ2 thing for me personally is just sort of like a game. While I acknowledge that Amazon is a big time corporation and that Jeff Bezos is a very smart and tactical businessman that's found a way to success by making what already existed better and more efficient, at the same time, I am not big into this thing.

For me it is just the entertainment that I am getting from all of the reactions and the people that have been taking this so seriously. It's just for laughter and to a little bit more serious point, about me making a guess and seeing if my guess comes out to pan out. That's really just it. I wouldn't want my city to shell out tax payer money for Amazon, even if they promise a "full equal" headquarters to Seattle with 50,000 jobs and all the other spinoff stuff jargon.

To me, if you changed it from Amazon and had premised this as either Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, SolarCity, OpenAI and all of Elon Musk's other endeavors then I would be ecstatic and really into it. If you said "Tesla or SpaceX are looking for a second headquarters to be the full equal to its original headquarters" then yeah, hell yeah, I'd absolutely want my city to go hard as a mothertrucker for it. Then again, I am biased, I view Elon Musk as a role model personally and everything he does is pure high quality gold. Practically everything. To me, he is a far superior innovative mind and far superior businessman than Jeff Bezos, even if Bezos is richer than Musk (for now at least). Musk invents his own industries, whereas Bezos just makes the ones that exist better. If Musk were to go for a second headquarters for Tesla/SpaceX in another city, I would be all over that. That's high quality and something a region can seriously pride itself on having, like without a shred of doubt, super high quality stuff. Even just having Elon Musk as a resident of your city is a big deal, then again, I'm biased because I'm such a huge fan of the guy and everything he innovates and/or does. Then again, I could go on and on about Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, Hyperloop, and Elon Musk all day (literally) but you get the idea by now.

See this video if you want to understand the difference between Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, as well as their respective companies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOefM3yB_8

Shelling out big time tax payer dollars for Tesla and SpaceX (supreme quality corporations IMO) is so worth it because you get innovation and ingenuity that few companies in the world could ever hope to rival, if any. Shelling out big time tax payer dollars to lure Amazon? Well, you enjoy yourselves I guess, LOL.

Amazon is a huge corporation and a big economic boon, but in comparison it is a bland corporation. It basically an online Walmart with a few cool spinoff endeavors (Alexa the Artificial Intelligence unit and Whole Foods -- the latter of which it didn't even create but bought). Not worth the tax dollars. I'm in this to see if my guess is right with regard to what city Amazon chooses, it's all a game to me, and to see what desperate as hell city shells out big time to corporate welfare for a glorified Internet Walmart. I don't mean to knock Amazon by calling it a "glorified Internet Walmart" and am not trying to offend any Amazon loyalists but I'm just calling it as I see it from my view. My pick is Boston for large cities if they pick a large city, Austin for smaller cities if they pick a smaller city, Toronto if they actually end up planting their HQ2 in a foreign country due to immigration policies, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being any of the 10 cities I mentioned earlier in this post.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-19-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
It seems that commercial real-estate experts and panelists from around the United States believe that it will be one of these five cities and they have a pretty set frontrunner too (you'll have to open the link to read about that):

The city of Atlanta, as well as Bloomberg view these places as its biggest competition:

Those 6 that Bloomberg outlines are in line with the ones that I think will get it too, in addition to Chicago, New York, Austin, and San Francisco.

My personal ten finalists would be (in alphabetical order): Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, New York, San Francisco (Bay Area), Toronto, Washington DC. On a personal level, I don't envision a scenario where it isn't one of these places but that's just my own personal take in it all.

That being said, this Amazon HQ2 thing for me personally is just sort of like a game. While I acknowledge that Amazon is a big time corporation and that Jeff Bezos is a very smart and tactical businessman that's found a way to success by making what already existed better and more efficient, at the same time, I am not big into this thing.

For me it is just the entertainment that I am getting from all of the reactions and the people that have been taking this so seriously. It's just for laughter and to a little bit more serious point, about me making a guess and seeing if my guess comes out to pan out. That's really just it. I wouldn't want my city to shell out tax payer money for Amazon, even if they promise a "full equal" headquarters to Seattle with 50,000 jobs and all the other spinoff stuff jargon.

To me, if you changed it from Amazon and had premised this as either Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, SolarCity, OpenAI and all of Elon Musk's other endeavors then I would be ecstatic and really into it. If you said "Tesla or SpaceX are looking for a second headquarters to be the full equal to its original headquarters" then yeah, hell yeah, I'd absolutely want my city to go hard as a mothertrucker for it. Then again, I am biased, I view Elon Musk as a role model personally and everything he does is pure high quality gold. Practically everything. To me, he is a far superior innovative mind and far superior businessman than Jeff Bezos, even if Bezos is richer than Musk (for now at least). Musk invents his own industries, whereas Bezos just makes the ones that exist better. If Musk were to go for a second headquarters for Tesla/SpaceX in another city, I would be all over that. That's high quality and something a region can seriously pride itself on having, like without a shred of doubt, super high quality stuff. Even just having Elon Musk as a resident of your city is a big deal, then again, I'm biased because I'm such a huge fan of the guy and everything he innovates and/or does. Then again, I could go on and on about Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, Hyperloop, and Elon Musk all day (literally) but you get the idea by now.

See this video if you want to understand the difference between Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, as well as their respective companies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJOefM3yB_8

Shelling out big time tax payer dollars for Tesla and SpaceX (supreme quality corporations IMO) is so worth it because you get innovation and ingenuity that few companies in the world could ever hope to rival, if any. Shelling out big time tax payer dollars to lure Amazon? Well, you enjoy yourselves I guess, LOL.

Amazon is a huge corporation and a big economic boon, but in comparison it is a bland corporation. It basically an online Walmart with a few cool spinoff endeavors (Alexa the Artificial Intelligence unit and Whole Foods -- the latter of which it didn't even create but bought). Not worth the tax dollars. I'm in this to see if my guess is right with regard to what city Amazon chooses, it's all a game to me, and to see what desperate as hell city shells out big time to corporate welfare for a glorified Internet Walmart. I don't mean to knock Amazon by calling it a "glorified Internet Walmart" and am not trying to offend any Amazon loyalists but I'm just calling it as I see it from my view. My pick is Boston for large cities if they pick a large city, Austin for smaller cities if they pick a smaller city, Toronto if they actually end up planting their HQ2 in a foreign country due to immigration policies, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being any of the 10 cities I mentioned earlier in this post.
Then you would agree with the Tesla/SolarCity presence in Buffalo then, which has finally started to get the ball rolling in terms of hiring.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM

229 posts, read 119,822 times
Quote:
CRE Pros Rate Five US Cities as Top Prospects for Landing Amazon

That article is about as logical or informed as many posts here. It makes huge assumptions despite there being a specific RFP. Sure it notes those points, but ignores glaring issues with the cities that it pickes. Amazon could pick one of the cities of course, but the article is not well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or