Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would put Philadelphia in the Top 5 at very least. Located dead center of BosWash, it somehow managed to elude the COL disadvantage that Boston, New York and Washington DC now enjoy.
No way it is Philly.Bezos wants a city with a better economy. Read the NY Times article

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html

Boston and DC/NVa are the two choices in the northeast. My money is on somewhere in TX or Atlanta

Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 AM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No way it is Philly.Bezos wants a city with a better economy. Read the NY Times article

Boston and DC/NVa are the two choices in the northeast. My money is on somewhere in TX or Atlanta
I did read it and had several issues with their analysis, which IMO felt very perfunctory and glossed-over.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post

That article is about as logical or informed as many posts here. It makes huge assumptions despite there being a specific RFP. Sure it notes those points, but ignores glaring issues with the cities that it pickes. Amazon could pick one of the cities of course, but the article is not well done.
Exactly! People are just naming cities they believe to be the most important economic engines. Beyond the criteria listed in the RFP, I believe cost of operations/living will be a factor. I also don't believe that HQ2 will be in the Pacific or mountain time zones.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Then you would agree with the Tesla/SolarCity presence in Buffalo then, which has finally started to get the ball rolling in terms of hiring.
Yes. It is a great investment that will serve a longterm purpose.

I would have preferred it if the city had lured in major design and innovation concept offices or like a major secondary office in downtown with some high level operations in the company and positions that made it easier for capital infusion into the market, in addition to the Gigafactory 2. However, I understand that was not in the cards because Tesla and/or SolarCity want to keep their main office operations in CA.

That being said though, Gigafactory 2 is also great, even if just on its own. It's a high value investment and will have a great impact on the regions economy as the region begins manufacturing solar panels that will eventually be utilized by Musk for the newline of homes he has envisioned further down the road (see the video I posted in the previous page with regard to more information). Those homes will feature solar panel roof tiles. The panels will be able to essentially power the entire home in a cost effective manner, that comes in addition to the solar panels having enough power to recharge potential electric vehicles as well. In addition to the other ventures that Musk has in store that will require solar panels.

Musk plans to announce locations for Gigafactory 3, Gigafactory 4, Gigafactory 5, and maybe Gigafactory 6 by the end of this calendar year. Each facility will see equal or greater monetary investment to it as Amazon's HQ2, but the thing is that the Gigafactories will retrofit American manufacturing in an entirely new manner. This positions the cities that will get them to be at the forefront of manufacturing and technical engineering for the future. Especially as that sector begins to evolve. Elon Musk is the pioneer for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post

That article is about as logical or informed as many posts here. It makes huge assumptions despite there being a specific RFP. Sure it notes those points, but ignores glaring issues with the cities that it pickes. Amazon could pick one of the cities of course, but the article is not well done.
Well you'd be right if I was relying on the CRE experts but I never said that I put stock into what the article stated. I only posted it to update the thread with commercial real-estate experts weighing in on their choices. In fact, my pick is Boston, a choice the CRE folks didn't even have on their shortlist. No one other than Amazon executives know where HQ2 is going.

Either way, doesn't really matter to me. If I lived in the U.S. then I'd prefer it if my city didn't go all in for HQ2 or make a bid for Amazon at all. Amazon is Walmart if Walmart's operations were based on the Internet instead of actual physical store locations. Amazon is the Walmart of this generation. What Walmart was a generation ago is what Amazon has become today. Quite literally IMO. The resemblance is uncanny, especially now that Amazon has added a grocery component to its overall operations.

Alexa, the Artificial Intelligence unit of Amazon and Amazon's crown jewel when it comes to "innovation", isn't even the best A.I. system in development or on the market. It's just a poor man's Google Home. It's not even up to par with Siri. Not to mention other A.I. systems that are even better both in development but also on the market.

If this was all about higher quality and more prestigious corporations like Bloomberg Media, Tesla, SpaceX, then I'd have a different opinion. Those would be well worth it. Well worth a city shelling out tax payer money to lure their headquarters into town. Not Amazon though.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-20-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

It's clear that the NYT article is pretty arbitrary. Even if you use their logic for process of elimination (which doesn't makes sense--fastest job growth is very distinctively different from "stable business climate for growth"), some of the metros they eliminate lately have had faster job growth than the cities they keep in the running (i.e., jobs in the Detroit [2.2%] and Philadelphia [1.9%] areas have grown faster than New York [1.8%] and Oklahoma City [1.7%] as of July 2017: https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/largem...able_footnotes)

It's apparent at this point that most media outlets are simply using assumptions and arbitrary analytical methods for their "top picks." No one will ever know all of Amazon's factors in its decision (certainly they're not required to divulge everything in their RFP), nor will we know how each of these factors is weighted.

Unless your name is Jeff Bezos, or are someone who works closely with him, at the end of the day, we're all just guessing.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-20-2017 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I am not well versed on the situation in Pennsylvania to know the exact definitive details regarding what each of its 2 major cities will push with respect to Amazon.
Philadelphia offers the following attributes:

1. Located in the middle of BosWash linked by a network of highways, rail lines, airports, interstate highways with access to over 50 million people within a few hours.
2.Three shovel-ready locations linked to a public transit network of subways, commuter rail, buses, trolleys and Amtrak Acela lines.
3. An international hub airport linked by rail shuttle 20 minutes from downtown.
4. An “eds and meds” tech economy with three major urban campus universities, over 100 metro area universities and colleges, and access to recruiting to some of the nation’s most prestigious universities located along the I95 corridor.
5. One of the nation’s most walkable downtowns, appealing to an ever-growing millennial population.
6. The most affordable of the BosWash cities.

That’s a starter list.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:18 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

1. Located in the middle of BosWash linked by a network of highways, rail lines, airports, interstate highways with access to over 50 million people within a few hours.
2.Three shovel-ready locations linked to a public transit network of subways, commuter rail, buses, trolleys and Amtrak Acela lines.
3. An international hub airport linked by rail shuttle 20 minutes from downtown.
4. An “eds and meds” tech economy with three major urban campus universities, over 100 metro area universities and colleges, and access to recruiting to some of the nation’s most prestigious universities located along the I95 corridor.
5. One of the nation’s most walkable downtowns, appealing to an ever-growing millennial population.
6. The most affordable of the BosWash cities.

That’s a starter list.

I think Philadelphia has a real shot.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I think Philadelphia has a real shot.
I do too. Though it’s debatable that Amazon is looking to become a bi-coastal enterprise, it just makes sense to me. Given that, Philly offers pretty much the same advantages as its BosWash siblings, but with a more affordable price tag.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:

That’s a starter list.
One little known fact is that Pennsylvania overall is #2 only to Massachusetts in per capita degrees awarded annually in Computer Sciences and STEM (see slide 9 of this report: http://masstech.org/sites/mtc/files/...tch%20Deck.pdf)

That's a HUGE boon for a build-in skilled talent pipeline that few other states (and its major metros) can claim. To the extent that Philadelphia the most affordable BosWash alternative, it's all just sitting right there for any company to take advantage of it.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:43 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
I do too. Though it’s debatable that Amazon is looking to become a bi-coastal enterprise, it just makes sense to me. Given that, Philly offers pretty much the same advantages as its BosWash siblings, but with a more affordable price tag.
I think Philly has a great shot, but are they really more affordable than Boston/DC? Aren't taxes in PA/Philly higher than places like DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.