U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 PM

13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times

Advertisements

Atlanta.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:27 AM

1,080 posts, read 826,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Show me anywhere in this country where 8 million square feet is just chilling waiting to be filled.
Don’t rule out Delaware.
http://news.delaware.gov/2017/09/08/...for-amazon-hq/

River, rail, and roads at heart of Evraz redevelopment plan

Excerpt:
The result, “First State Crossing, River Rail & Roads at Claymont,” is a concept plan for the full 425 acres that includes walking trails, warehouses, manufacturing and office space, a new train station, and a logistics center.

First State Corporate Center is a 30-acre site with 600,000 square feet of office buildings and trails along Naamans Creek.

Last edited by mig1; 09-23-2017 at 04:53 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,234,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Either way, what got lost with the innovation comparison between Amazon and Tesla (as well as other corporations) was this:

I think ultimately it would be Boston IMO. The cost of living in my opinion is the only thing that realistically could hinder Boston from getting it but given how expensive Seattle, the location of HQ1 is, why would Boston's cost of living be such a detriment? Amazon employees can quite obviously afford Seattle, so they can Boston too. If cost of living is a true hinderance as people say and they truly want a large market, then it will end up in Chicago and if they want easier access to a global labor pool without immigration restrictions then Toronto IMO.

If they go with a smaller market, then either Austin or Denver but that's only if they go smaller than Seattle. Which may not be a feasible idea for Amazon, given how they're anticipating for big bucks when it comes to incentives and that alone could strain a smaller market city.
I get the prestige thing you are looking at, but it is like looking for a family car and picking a Ferrari. Boston is so impractical, thus I think Chicago will get it. Cost of living is a hinderance, so is size, and so is a place to actually put this huge hq near transportation in the city. If you look and read the Boston posts, the Boston residents have the same concerns, and keep on suggesting places like Lowell outside of the core, something the RFP definitely does not ask for.

You ask why not, because Seattle is so expensive than why not Boston? This statement is bad logic, and does not look at what has happened. Seattle was not expensive until Amazon grew, and now is choking on traffic, skyrocketing housing costs, etc. Just think what would happen to Boston? Seattle on steroids. Chicago has the main post office, and the old Finkle site right in downtown on transportation lines close to city and suburban rail that would be a perfect fit and is just waiting for Amazon to come it. Boston has none of that. Why do you think there is even a search for HQ2? Think about it. Seattle cannot accommodate that much more growth without eventually stifling itself, ala San Francisco.

In the same way I think Atlanta cannot accomodate Amazon. Too little transporation in the region, too little ready made space downtown. My memories of Atlanta are bad traffic already on roads not meant to accommodate explosive growth. You have been all over the map in your search for a pick, but Boston makes no sense physically, and can just export its college talent as it always has, since most students are from somewhere else anyways.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Don’t rule out Delaware.
Delaware Will Compete for Amazon Headquarters - State of Delaware NewsState of Delaware News | News from Delaware State Government Agencies

River, rail, and roads at heart of Evraz redevelopment plan

Excerpt:
The result, “First State Crossing, River Rail & Roads at Claymont,” is a concept plan for the full 425 acres that includes walking trails, warehouses, manufacturing and office space, a new train station, and a logistics center.

First State Corporate Center is a 30-acre site with 600,000 square feet of office buildings and trails along Naamans Creek.
Amazon would swamp Delaware. Its infrastructure couldn’t handle the load. It would, however, benefit from some overflow out of Philly, which has pretty much all of what Amazon needs.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:41 AM

4,478 posts, read 2,661,399 times
Chicago seems like a great candidate. The ability to get really big really quickly, right in the middle of town, in a city with great transit that would love to have them...

Amazon keeps growing like their hair is on fire in Seattle. For example the fourth tower in their main HQ core appears to be starting...looks like drill rigs onsite this week. That's across from the third tower which is getting close to grade. The two total a couple million sf, not including their other work underway.

The Space Needle Panocam is a phenomenal way to watch all this if you know where you're looking...use a map and match 7th & Lenora with the photo. It's a pano taken every 10 minutes that you can zone in on, or look back to any 10 minute point in the last couple years. https://spaceneedle.roundshot.com/ PS, apologies for the forest fire smoke.

In the same pano, you can see three cranes for Google (near Lake Union) and two for Facebook (halfway between lake and Denny way). Also, by the two cruise ships, you can barely see a red mobile crane for Expedia's new campus.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 PM

Philadephia offers one feature that others can’t. It’s that employees will have the choice of 3 different states to call home: Pa, NJ and DE. Each is connected to center city by public transport. Each also has its Pros and cons, and among the 3, employees should be able to find their desired balance of taxes, urbanity, schools, housing prices, housing styles etc.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:09 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I get the prestige thing you are looking at, but it is like looking for a family car and picking a Ferrari. Boston is so impractical, thus I think Chicago will get it. Cost of living is a hinderance, so is size, and so is a place to actually put this huge hq near transportation in the city. If you look and read the Boston posts, the Boston residents have the same concerns, and keep on suggesting places like Lowell outside of the core, something the RFP definitely does not ask for.
I think you may perhaps be confused. I was not talking about prestige with regard to cities, but with regard to companies (in that specific case I was referring to Amazon versus Tesla -- the latter of which I consider a more prestigious company, while the former is the larger company).

When it comes to cities, for me it is this simple:

Foxconn extracted $3 Billion from the state of Wisconsin to open facilities there and create jobs over the longterm. Boeing secured well over $6 Billion from the state of Washington. Foxconn and Amazon had nearly identical operating revenue at the finish of last year, though Amazon's market capitalization was much higher.

Amazon's RFP pits well over 100 cities in two different countries (Canada, United States) against one another in an effort to land the supposed big gig. Amazon has stated that it will invest $5 Billion into the chosen city's economy in the next 15-17 years following the selection of the HQ2 city.

The super grand majority of the market analysts on this are already speculating that several dozen cities will offer in excess of $1 Billion to Amazon in tax payer incentive packages. Makes sense, given what Foxconn and Boeing (among several dozen other companies) were able to land. Most think it will be a very high figure, something like $2 Billion at a minimum. So if Foxconn can get $3 Billion out of Wisconsin when the competition for Foxconn's services were smaller than that of Amazon's, what do you suppose Amazon will get?

Lets say that Amazon extracts a similar offer to Foxconn, so like $3 Billion. So basically $3 Billion in incentives versus $5 Billion in what Amazon will invest in the city over a decade's time. So essentially you are footing the bill for 60% of Amazon's longterm investments in your city. Not just that but you're committing tax payers to pay for that for the next several years to potentially decades. In this scenario rundown, you're investing so much ($3 Billion) in tax payer money to get so little ($5 Billion) in Amazon's 15-17 year longterm investments. Not worth it.

That's a race to the bottom sort of thing. I would gladly like to see Chicago get Amazon, had Amazon's HQ2 been a free endeavor and not a tax payer incentive package frenzy. I'd gladly see Chicago take in Amazon's headquarters if Amazon had stated they are relocating their headquarters out of Seattle, meaning that the winning city gets the one and only headquarters and doesn't have to share it with anywhere else.

However, because neither of those two things seem to be the case here, because Amazon is looking for the richest offer from the most talented possible city and because this is HQ2, meaning you have to share headquarters titles with Seattle, then I wouldn't want it. Not a snowballs chance in hell, though that's just me though. The end simply just doesn't justify the means. In that case, let Boston have it. So to recap, if Amazon were doing this for free and if this was about relocating their only headquarters to a new city, then I'd be all for Chicago or some of the other cities getting it.

I don't really want to see Chicago lumping huge tax payer incentivized bucks at Amazon. That's money that can and should be spent more responsibly on a plethora of other things the city needs, things that quite frankly are more important and should be more important to Chicago than Amazon.

Just my thoughts though. Another persons' mileage may vary.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-23-2017 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Philadephia offers one feature that others canít. Itís that employees will have the choice of 3 different states to call home: Pa, NJ and DE. Each is connected to center city by public transport. Each also has its Pros and cons, and among the 3, employees should be able to find their desired balance of taxes, urbanity, schools, housing prices, housing styles etc.
DC offers that.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:19 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
DC offers that.
As do New York and Chicago, but the Delaware Valley remains the cheapest of the major "tri-state" metros (though D.C. technically isn't a state). I don't think MBTA reaches into New Hampshire, so Boston can't make the same claim.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
DC offers that.
True. I am wrong about that. Also NYC. But in these two instances, the tax rates and COL arenít as attractive as the PA/NJ/DE package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or