U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2017, 09:14 PM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 933,039 times
Reputation: 1119

Advertisements

I agree access to water is important which is why I think Cleveland would beat out Pittsburgh. Baltimore is a possibility but it's recent record of riots has really hurt it's reputation and concerns over safety much like St.Louis. Trying to get extremely mobile and employable people to move to a city known for it's race riots is a hard sell.

It may, be unfair and regimented to certain areas but when your city makes the news only due to race riots then that reputation is very hard to get over.

 
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM
 
499 posts, read 540,281 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I agree access to water is important which is why I think Cleveland would beat out Pittsburgh. Baltimore is a possibility but it's recent record of riots has really hurt it's reputation and concerns over safety much like St.Louis. Trying to get extremely mobile and employable people to move to a city known for it's race riots is a hard sell.

It may, be unfair and regimented to certain areas but when your city makes the news only due to race riots then that reputation is very hard to get over.
The riots/crime et al might be an advantage for Baltimore too. Would be good PR for Amazon, "the company that put its money where its mouth is" since Bezos is left leaning especially when he owns the Washington Post and owns residence in D.C.
 
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,483 posts, read 2,223,791 times
Reputation: 2353
The Chicago local media makes it sound like this is ours to lose. I'm sure they're not biased at all.

Still, Chicago does tick a lot of the boxes. I can't imagine them picking another city in the Midwest that's not Chicago either. While some might have better financials at the moment, they don't tick a lot of the other requirements that Amazon desires. Although who knows, if they want to completely remake a struggling Rust Belt major city, then they'd certainly be the biggest game in town by a mile.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 03:05 AM
 
1,018 posts, read 1,235,004 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
The riots/crime et al might be an advantage for Baltimore too. Would be good PR for Amazon, "the company that put its money where its mouth is" since Bezos is left leaning especially when he owns the Washington Post and owns residence in D.C.
Then why stop at Baltimore? According to your logic, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis would be great, and better PR, and have equal public transportation as Baltimore. Bezos can buy any number of houses anywhere ( and has ) as well as newspapers. He needs a good fit for his company and 50,000 workers. I don't think sympathy for Baltimore will do it.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,850 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Reputation: 9469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They said theyd offer 50,000 jobs with an average of 6 figure salaries, so it seems no matter where they go, they're gonna be paying out a lot of money. COL is a factor, but I think people are too focused on home and rent prices. I feel Amazon wants cheaper office space and land more so than cheaper homes for employees.
But six figures covers $100,000 - 999,999. I can tell you a salary of $100K, which might be an attractive salary in St Louis or Des Moines, is not enough to pull a smart, well-credential graduate with lots of options to NYC. Amazon will have a lower payroll by choosing a city with a lower COL.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 AM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,534,811 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
But six figures covers $100,000 - 999,999. I can tell you a salary of $100K, which might be an attractive salary in St Louis or Des Moines, is not enough to pull a smart, well-credential graduate with lots of options to NYC. Amazon will have a lower payroll by choosing a city with a lower COL.
People don't move across the country that often. Look at about a 5 hour radius. That's the distance normal people move. You have way more access to talent on the east coast to the point where salary is probably worth it. Des Moines would draw talent from Iowa and Omaha.

Even Houston, Raleigh and Nashville the majority of migration is from in state. People like being within a reasonable distance from their existing social network.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,054 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Then why stop at Baltimore? According to your logic, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis would be great, and better PR, and have equal public transportation as Baltimore. Bezos can buy any number of houses anywhere ( and has ) as well as newspapers. He needs a good fit for his company and 50,000 workers. I don't think sympathy for Baltimore will do it.
I keep envisioning the recruiting sessions."And you'll be living in Baltimore! Wait! Where are you going?"
 
Old 09-26-2017, 06:41 AM
 
29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I agree access to water is important which is why I think Cleveland would beat out Pittsburgh. Baltimore is a possibility but it's recent record of riots has really hurt it's reputation and concerns over safety much like St.Louis. Trying to get extremely mobile and employable people to move to a city known for it's race riots is a hard sell.

It may, be unfair and regimented to certain areas but when your city makes the news only due to race riots then that reputation is very hard to get over.
Why do you keep calling them "race riots"?

You know what, never mind...don't answer that.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 07:52 AM
 
7,698 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
But six figures covers $100,000 - 999,999. I can tell you a salary of $100K, which might be an attractive salary in St Louis or Des Moines, is not enough to pull a smart, well-credential graduate with lots of options to NYC. Amazon will have a lower payroll by choosing a city with a lower COL.
NYC pulls people with great credentials for 50K jobs. NYC itself is the draw.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Interesting talking about "crime" and "safe neighborhoods" is against the law for real estate agents afaik.
Asking for stats isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top