U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC pulls people with great credentials for 50K jobs. NYC itself is the draw.
Pretty much. People will move there for 15 bucks an hour, much less 100k a year. They'll share rooms, etc.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 AM

499 posts, read 540,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Then why stop at Baltimore? According to your logic, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis would be great, and better PR, and have equal public transportation as Baltimore. Bezos can buy any number of houses anywhere ( and has ) as well as newspapers. He needs a good fit for his company and 50,000 workers. I don't think sympathy for Baltimore will do it.
Because 2 of the 3 aren't major cities (I would say Baltimore still has more clout than St.Louis, it's twice the size for one) and dont have a university system as good as Baltimore or counties surrounding it as wealthy. They're also not really on a major body of water (even has cruise ships), on major road (I-95) with high amounts of visibility. They dont have as strong a workforce. They arent nestled between arguably the most important cities in the country. Some are too inland and arent on the east coast which is only logical for an HQ2 when HQ1 is on the west coast. I would say Baltimore has a better mass transit rail system, it has water taxi's and the real possibility of Maglev that will be included in the state proposal that will get to D.C. in 15 minutes and the airport in like 5 minutes or less.

And if people can preach about Amazon going to Toronto to help immigrants as such a great idea, why is it now a negative to help your fellow citizens in places like Baltimore?

I would think the latter makes more sense. I dont think you're going to find a good fit for a 50,000 workforce in Toronto either let alone find that many good candidates outside the USA.

The location picked by the state is Port covington in South Baltimore and is actually a safe and well-to-do area.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Asking for stats isn't.
You can point them to the right website but I wouldn't go as far as to hand them something in writing. Might be a different case commercially.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,979,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
And if people can preach about Amazon going to Toronto to help immigrants as such a great idea, why is it now a negative to help your fellow citizens in places like Baltimore?
You are a little confused. It's not to help the immigrants, it is to help Amazon. Much of their workforce is foreign and in some cases they have difficulty hiring in such large numbers due to immigration obstacles, which are not as great in Canada. So they theoretically would have an easier time hiring for jobs in Canada than in the US. I think it was the Ottawa mayor quoted as saying that Amazon has 9000 open jobs so they are clearly having a hard time filling them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
I dont think you're going to find a good fit for a 50,000 workforce in Toronto either let alone find that many good candidates outside the USA.
Umm, there are far more good candidates outside the US than inside...it's sheer numbers.

That said, this is no knock on Baltimore, just trying to correct your misunderstanding. As I wrote in another post I think Baltimore fits well in many ways and it's one of my top choices for where I hope they go.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,466,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Then why stop at Baltimore? According to your logic, Gary, Camden, or East St. Louis would be great, and better PR, and have equal public transportation as Baltimore. Bezos can buy any number of houses anywhere ( and has ) as well as newspapers. He needs a good fit for his company and 50,000 workers. I don't think sympathy for Baltimore will do it.
Baltimore already has some level of high educated base within the city proper, with major universities etc. Baltimore is far more equipped than those cities you mentioned to bring on 50,000 "high skilled" workers. With that said, your point about sympathy for any struggling city is taken.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You are a little confused. It's not to help the immigrants, it is to help Amazon. Much of their workforce is foreign and in some cases they have difficulty hiring in such large numbers due to immigration obstacles, which are not as great in Canada. So they theoretically would have an easier time hiring for jobs in Canada than in the US. I think it was the Ottawa mayor quoted as saying that Amazon has 9000 open jobs so they are clearly having a hard time filling them all.

Umm, there are far more good candidates outside the US than inside...it's sheer numbers.

That said, this is no knock on Baltimore, just trying to correct your misunderstanding. As I wrote in another post I think Baltimore fits well in many ways and it's one of my top choices for where I hope they go.
There's no misunderstanding or confusion on my part. All I said still applies, your reply is only part of the equation. Maybe you need to read my post again or better yet do a little research to connect the dots?

You do know Canada uses a point-based immigration system and will only allow immigrant numbers proportionate to their population? Despite all the cries about US immigration policy they still let in far more people and the rules are actually more lax than some of these other countries that claim to "welcome all immigrants with open arms" I really do like how Canada called Haitian refugees looking for asylum in their country a "crisis".

It's truly ironic that all these companies are against US immigration policy changes when the US pols and Trump actually look to Canada's as a model, which is based on education level for one, not who your family is like the current policy in the USA. Even with some of the introduced US immigration policy changes, the reduced raw numbers alone would still be more than the immigrant populations that Canada lets in annually.

Canada could be overwhelmed by immigrants or simply couldnt meet the demand if Amazon and other companies happened to use them for that purpose, we will see how Canada reacts if the floodgates open, actually we already have seen a glimpse with the Haitian refugees.

Also Toronto/Canada is not the "world" and not everybody wants to go there (climate for one). What an odd thing you said, as if the USA is closed and no one comes here anymore. I would say USA still by far attracts the best and the brightest than Canada.

Wouldnt the Ottawa mayor saying they cant fill 9,000 job openings prove my point as well?

Last edited by TheJetSet; 09-26-2017 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 PM

916 posts, read 822,032 times
I go with Austin, Texas is the fastest paced economy in the US I assume, the cities there are scatterered all around and desperately need a drone system to bring goods instead than relying just on trucks,and trains, it would be also used as a potential base to invade Mexico's market.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:49 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC pulls people with great credentials for 50K jobs. NYC itself is the draw.
Sure. $50K in NYC. They must be liviní the life!!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:50 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Pretty much. People will move there for 15 bucks an hour, much less 100k a year. They'll share rooms, etc.
Grown-ups donít share rooms.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Grown-ups donít share rooms.
Some do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or