U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,334 posts, read 10,307,127 times
Reputation: 5400

Advertisements

Not a chance for Philly. One look at our tax structure and culture and they will be off.

 
Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM
 
29,936 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Reputation: 18470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not a chance for Philly. One look at our tax structure and culture and they will be off.
Not sure what you mean by culture, but if Amazon expressed interest in Philly, you can believe the tax structure situation would resolve itself in short order. Philly actually checks a lot of boxes for HQ2.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,007,397 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure what you mean by culture, but if Amazon expressed interest in Philly, you can believe the tax structure situation would resolve itself in short order. Philly actually checks a lot of boxes for HQ2.
Philly has as good a chance as any.

Maybe one of the Philly posters can confirm if this is true or not. I recall reading in multiple publications that Philly is one of the most expensive markets to build office/commercial space in the country. More expensive than some of the usually higher COL cities.

Is this true?
 
Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,334 posts, read 10,307,127 times
Reputation: 5400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure what you mean by culture, but if Amazon expressed interest in Philly, you can believe the tax structure situation would resolve itself in short order. Philly actually checks a lot of boxes for HQ2.

After spending a year working in DC I would sure put a good shot in for DC area. Philly culture is one of anger. People here are always walking around angry and with huge chips on shoulders. Drivers are awful and will scream at you for crossing a green light while they are turning. Anyone who visits here for an extended period notices it.


Mark my words Philly doesn't have a chance. Also the culture here is "we can't do that", or "it's never been done here before so we can't do it" blah blah.

We should have had a downtown baseball stadium, but when all the yahoos from that hood went crazy and one lady even said "who ever heard of a baseball stadium downtown" you get the drift of what I mean by dumbed down parochial culture which Amazon would never want to be a part of.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 PM
 
29,936 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Reputation: 18470
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
After spending a year working in DC I would sure put a good shot in for DC area. Philly culture is one of anger. People here are always walking around angry and with huge chips on shoulders. Drivers are awful and will scream at you for crossing a green light while they are turning. Anyone who visits here for an extended period notices it.


Mark my words Philly doesn't have a chance. Also the culture here is "we can't do that", or "it's never been done here before so we can't do it" blah blah.

We should have had a downtown baseball stadium, but when all the yahoos from that hood went crazy and one lady even said "who ever heard of a baseball stadium downtown" you get the drift of what I mean by dumbed down parochial culture which Amazon would never want to be a part of.
You would have been better off sticking with the tax argument.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,854 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Reputation: 9473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Some do.
Thatís a crying shame.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,334 posts, read 10,307,127 times
Reputation: 5400
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Philly has as good a chance as any.

No, we really don't. We were supposed to be almost a shoe in for Wellcome Trust HQ due to Penn and the fact that Henry Wellcome lived and studied here, but they chose London instead lol. As if we could ever compete.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,854 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Reputation: 9473
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
No, we really don't. We were supposed to be almost a shoe in for Wellcome Trust HQ due to Penn and the fact that Henry Wellcome lived and studied here, but they chose London instead lol. As if we could ever compete.
I thought you moved.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Thatís a crying shame.
25 year olds making 60k a year in NYC likely share rooms. Part of that lifestyle.
 
Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure what you mean by culture, but if Amazon expressed interest in Philly, you can believe the tax structure situation would resolve itself in short order. Philly actually checks a lot of boxes for HQ2.
I believe I read a representative of Philly stating explicitly that they will be working on the tax situation if Amazon is really interested.

I'll look for that quote/article in a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top