Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I couldn't see why Amazon would want to have two headquarters on the West Coast.
I can see how you might think that and I also would tend to agree, but really they dont even need 2 HQs to begin with, which begs the question: Why?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
There are a bunch of proposals from New England cities, but New Hampshire's proposal takes a huge dump on Boston.

“Choose Boston and next year when you leave your tiny $4,000-a-month apartment only to sit in 2 hours of traffic trying to make your way to an overburdened airport, you’ll be wishing you were in New Hampshire,” they wrote.

https://www.boston.com/news/business...ll-over-boston

It doesn't make 100% sense. If you're living in a tiny $4,000 a month apartment, I would hope it would be in Boston. I don't think anybody's paying that to live 2 hours away from Boston.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I can see how you might think that and I also would tend to agree, but really they dont even need 2 HQs to begin with, which begs the question: Why?
Quote:
"Starting a second base somewhere else could allow it to lower costs through tax breaks and operate in a cheaper area, and gets lots of positive PR by creating new jobs outside its traditional base," Dawson noted.

Amazon is also trying to gain access to new markets like healthcare and entertainment and might be using its second headquarters as a strategy to do so. For example, Amazon has been doubling down on original content production, and might put the new facility in Los Angeles to better tap into Hollywood talent, Alvarez said. Companies like Facebook, Amazon and Google are morphing into more than just tech companies and doing so may require them to look beyond Silicon Valley, he noted.
https://www.thestreet.com/story/1429...billion.html#2

If the bolded is true, Atlanta would make even more sense. Also obviously closer to the country's center of gravity.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

probably two-fold

A rapidly expanding company and required workforce is starting to have some real challenges staffing in an area where relos are a bog chunk. Also the tech workforce is highly competitive

So, 1. looking to see if another area can make things easier to scale up employees (potentially in a less competitive city for the employment types)

and 2. while this isn't really a HQ2 it is a desire to have a large operational/development employment center and given their ask they probably felt they could get a substantially beneficial package in a place that meets a lot of their needs

I also am not so sure that an EC facility is really a requirement though if Europe is a play maybe makes a little more sense. I think it has more to do with a place that can scale, have employee resources, and a big package wherever that may be

with all that said I do think a place like Austin may still be too small

places like a DFW, Atlanta, even a Philly or Chicago are large enough that could absorb the growth more easily

on the talent resources I do think a place like Philly is interesting as even if relos required many would not have to move far to dip into huge talent pools within an hour or so even outside the metro

I have heard from a decent source in the real estate business that TX has this, likely DFW guess we will see

Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
https://www.thestreet.com/story/1429...billion.html#2

If the bolded is true, Atlanta would make even more sense. Also obviously closer to the country's center of gravity.

and Healthcare distribution would be a big pool in the philly area etc.

they clearly want to make a big splash in pharmacy distribution and that is a much more complex distribution model from a regulatory perspective and resource/employee intensive

I generally find creative can be more isolated from logistics in many ways. that said philly has potentially the fastest growing tech content segment with huge growth from Comcast and their content and deliver technologies etc.

many places check many boxes

Old 10-19-2017, 02:18 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
The Governor of Missouri is apparently putting forward the idea of St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia, MO thanks to the Hyperloop.
Missouri banking on futuristic tube travel in bid for Amazon HQ2 | Political Fix | stltoday.com

Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Another advantage Atlanta has are large parcels of undeveloped land within close proximity of heavy rail. That's probably something no other city in the U.S. can offer. And it wouldn't even have to be in the suburbs. There are plots in/near Midtown and Downtown Atlanta where a new facility could be built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulch_(Atlanta)

For a suburban site, I think Doraville would be perfect, though a Waffle House would probably have to be sacrificed.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
There are a bunch of proposals from New England cities, but New Hampshire's proposal takes a huge dump on Boston.

“Choose Boston and next year when you leave your tiny $4,000-a-month apartment only to sit in 2 hours of traffic trying to make your way to an overburdened airport, you’ll be wishing you were in New Hampshire,” they wrote.

https://www.boston.com/news/business...ll-over-boston

It doesn't make 100% sense. If you're living in a tiny $4,000 a month apartment, I would hope it would be in Boston. I don't think anybody's paying that to live 2 hours away from Boston.
Waterbury, CT put in a proposal too which is absolutely hilarious. Camden, NJ would be a better choice.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
probably two-fold

A rapidly expanding company and required workforce is starting to have some real challenges staffing in an area where relos are a bog chunk. Also the tech workforce is highly competitive

So, 1. looking to see if another area can make things easier to scale up employees (potentially in a less competitive city for the employment types)

and 2. while this isn't really a HQ2 it is a desire to have a large operational/development employment center and given their ask they probably felt they could get a substantially beneficial package in a place that meets a lot of their needs

I also am not so sure that an EC facility is really a requirement though if Europe is a play maybe makes a little more sense. I think it has more to do with a place that can scale, have employee resources, and a big package wherever that may be

with all that said I do think a place like Austin may still be too small

places like a DFW, Atlanta, even a Philly or Chicago are large enough that could absorb the growth more easily

on the talent resources I do think a place like Philly is interesting as even if relos required many would not have to move far to dip into huge talent pools within an hour or so even outside the metro

I have heard from a decent source in the real estate business that TX has this, likely DFW guess we will see
All plausible, but there's no particularly pressing reason to make this massive development an actual 'headquarters' unless Amazon knows cities and states will dole out billions in subsidies to have their HQ.

Furthermore, all told there will be what? upwards of 70,000 employees at their 2 HQs-that's really massive for any company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee
I can see the part about Atlanta and it's tv/film production, but I dont really see the being 'closer to the country's center of gravity' argument. I dont think that matters in 2017.

But then none of us knows what their motivations are for sure, so you could be right.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Another advantage Atlanta has are large parcels of undeveloped land within close proximity of heavy rail. That's probably something no other city in the U.S. can offer. And it wouldn't even have to be in the suburbs. There are plots in/near Midtown and Downtown Atlanta where a new facility could be built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulch_(Atlanta)

For a suburban site, I think Doraville would be perfect, though a Waffle House would probably have to be sacrificed.

what about SYs and the 30th rail yard cap, on top of basically all rail transit in Philly - that is at least one that has more than 10M sq feet directly on the subways, regional rail, Amtrak, and trollys

http://www.schuylkillyards.com/_images/home3.jpg

https://42mzqz26jebqf6rd034t5pef-wpe...tonVillage.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.