Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:32 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
25 year olds making 60k a year in NYC likely share rooms. Part of that lifestyle.
Same goes in San Francisco. My husband's niece there shares a Victorian-era flat with two other people for $4500 mo. She lives in the dining room with a privacy curtain.
She says she'll give it another year and then will move to a place where she can live like an actual human being.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
25 year olds making 60k a year in NYC likely share rooms. Part of that lifestyle.
Yep . . . livin’ large!! Can’t imagine a more enticing QOL for attracting talented millennials.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Yep found it.

Quote:
And Philadelphia, which sent a delegation to Seattle last week, is sending a larger delegation this week to “get into the Jeff Bezos mindset and ethos,” Hitt said.

The city would also consider overhauling its tax system for Amazon.

“Having Amazon would mean global things for our tax system,” Hitt said. “We do have business taxes, but that’s something that could be looked at in the scope of Amazon coming here.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonv...amazon-to.html

(You need a subscription to read it on bizjournals but it's a NYT article so maybe you can google if it's not behind a paywall there)

Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by respect100 View Post
New here,,,But have been a guest. I truly see the Atlanta Metro getting this, they have all the bells and whistles, again my first post, not seeing how everyone on here thinks Philly, DC and especially Boston getting this, as said before the col is way too high. I have heard that Bezos definitely wants an ET zone area.
Well vs. Seattle today in COL? Most US major cities will still be cheaper but for its highest end offerings. Also with the most Urban surrounding sought after neighborhoods too... that also are going to be higher then the rest of the city. Amazon will also want higher-end suburban areas within reach. As this is for a Corporate headquarters. They will get great pay and perks.

Some city's have cores with aspects of NYC and even skyscraper living and access to top suburbs too. Such as Chicago (skyscraper living especially), Philly, Boston and DC (minus skyscrapers). Others... degrees less and Sunbelt cities ..... still just showing more signs of some urbanity in their cores. Having Office skyscrapers alone are Not making a FULL Urban core with attributes for a higher-end live-in elite. But getting there more of course, with some having split or multiple cores ..... that may or may not complement each other?

The next great debate will be if and when some finalist cities are mentioned? Then some will say ..... their city can still pull a coup of sorts in the end....

Old 09-26-2017, 05:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yep . . . livin’ large!! Can’t imagine a more enticing QOL for attracting talented millennials.
I’d rather live with a roommate in New York City than alone in most of America’s top 50 metros.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’d rather live with a roommate in New York City than alone in most of America’s top 50 metros.
Very good. I hope that’s what you’re doing.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Lot of youngsters will do it just for the experience. There is just nothing like living in NYC. Now, I wouldn't do it at 30, but in your 20s, no kids? Maybe.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Philadelphia has some issues but it also checks off alot of boxes.

Phiadelphia has had the greatest percentage increase in millenials of any city in the usa over the past 5 years. It's to the point now where NYers and DCers are coming to Center City for weekend getaways.Cosmopolitan lifestyle at half the cost of NYC/DC/Bos.

Incredibly clean leisurely beaches are just an hour away. A tank of gas away from Skyline Drive Virginia or the Adirondacks. 2 of the Top 8 Universities in US (Princeton #1.... Penn #8) And according to Niche the Philadlephia suburbs are home to 4 of the countrys Top 8 Public School Districts. Wow!!!!

Brandywine is a national developer with HQ in Philly who have plans to build an enormous project in University City between U Penn and Drexel U. Amazon would be perfect.

http://www.schuylkillyards.com/_uploads/gallery9.jpg

Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Very good. I hope that’s what you’re doing.
It’s what I did in my 20s, making 35-50k.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philadelphia has some issues but it also checks off alot of boxes.

Phiadelphia has had the greatest percentage increase in millenials of any city in the usa over the past 5 years. It's to the point now where NYers and DCers are coming to Center City for weekend getaways.Cosmopolitan lifestyle at half the cost of NYC/DC/Bos.

Incredibly clean leisurely beaches are just an hour away. A tank of gas away from Skyline Drive Virginia or the Adirondacks. 2 of the Top 8 Universities in US (Princeton #1.... Penn #8) And according to Niche the Philadlephia suburbs are home to 4 of the countrys Top 8 Public School Districts. Wow!!!!

Brandywine is a national developer with HQ in Philly who have plans to build an enormous project in University City between U Penn and Drexel U. Amazon would be perfect.

http://www.schuylkillyards.com/_uploads/gallery9.jpg
I agree. A lot of diverse housing options (as Amazon will hire a diverse group), and the chance to make a mark in a major US city. They could be a catalyst in Philly's rebirth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.