Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 AM

774 posts, read 2,495,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not that simple. Air space is capped by the FAA along with routes, so airlines can't just swoop in when they feel like it. Detroit International Airport is a major Delta hub with nonstop service to all four cities mentioned, has five international carriers currently serving (Air Canada, Air France, Lufthansa, AeroMexico and Royal Jordanian) plus international service/partnerships with Delta, American and United. Detroit Metropolitan Airport > Home
Yes, I think people are underrating this aspect, too. Amazon is looking for existing air connections *today* and NOT what a city hopes to add if Amazon moves there. Everything in Amazon's RFP wants to see all of those requirements already fully developed (past tense) and then it comes down to a matter of competing incentive packages. There is a handful of cities that meet all of the requirements as-is, so anyone with a very glaring deficiency already is likely going to get cut. Just like in its hiring practices, Amazon can pick and choose from candidates that already have perfect resumes (while politely throwing the imperfect resumes in the trash) and then it will come down to a combination of objective financial incentives and subjective cultural fit as to who gets picked.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
Last I checked, there IS a sales tax in TX. They don't have a state income tax in TX, but their property taxes are brutal. I come out WAY ahead tax-wise living in a state with a low state income tax and property taxes capped at 1% of assessed value. And don't mention renters...the ridiculous property taxes are passed on to them, whether they chose to admit it or not.

The notion that TX is a tax haven is a myth. They get you one way or the other.
We all do.....that's the thing I don't think most people understand. "There are no free lunches".

Old 09-08-2017, 08:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Am I one of the only people here that a.) does not like Amazon, and b.) does not want Amazon to take over their city (especially if giant tax incentives and subsidies are provided, which is a given)? Feels like it. It's fun to fantasize about your city getting the opportunity to build out 8M SF of new office space and add 50K employees within 10 years (every urbanist's dream, I'd think), but at what cost?

To me, this is like shooting heroin, but for urbanism.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually Dallas and Charlotte would be among the best cities for rail transit in particular in the Sunbelt. Dallas has the largest LRT system in the country and Charlotte is expanding its light rail system as we speak. No it's not heavy rail, but Seattle doesn't have HRT either.
I'd put DFW, Atlanta, Miami, and Houston's rail (and other transit) all above Charlotte, though that's nothing against Charlotte. The recent rail expansion is a nice addition and impressive.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'd put DFW, Atlanta, Miami, and Houston's rail (and other transit) all above Charlotte, though that's nothing against Charlotte. The recent rail expansion is a nice addition and impressive.
DFW and Atlanta for sure, at least when it comes to rail. Not sure how Miami and Houston would stack up against Charlotte comprehensively but Charlotte certainly beats Miami when it comes to most of the other criteria.

When talking about the lack of rail-based transit in the Sunbelt, you'd have to talk about the likes of Raleigh-Durham, Nashville (has commuter rail but that's it), Orlando, Tampa, etc. before talking about DFW and Charlotte.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:43 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,027 times
My wager is on Atlanta. There is a large area of Atlanta, between downtown and the airport, which has not seen the enormous development that the area north of downtown has. The large property that used to be Fort McPherson would be ideal.

The "heavy rail" mass transit has two stops in the immediate vicinity. The airport is the largest in the US. Georgia is a right-to-work, low regulation state. The CoL is not astronomical. The city is diverse.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The only thing Pittsburgh lacks is direct flights to Seattle. It has good bike infrastructure and good mass transit for a city that isn't one of the big six.
Pittsburgh used to have direct Seattle flights back when it was a USAir hub

Old 09-08-2017, 08:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I will clarify my earlier post. Indeed, Austin is the leading contender, and there are a number of reasons why. First, it has a high-tech climate, 2nd, it has the U of Texas. 3rd, there is no sales tax. 4th, Jeff Bezos has a history in the area, 5th, it fits all criteria listed in their scouting report.

This decision, as I understand it, will not be soon as the company is still scouting other locations. However, mark my words, my prediction is, again, Austin.
Have you actually ever purchased anything in the state of Texas? There is most certainly Sales Tax in Texas.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM

192 posts, read 241,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Am I one of the only people here that a.) does not like Amazon, and b.) does not want Amazon to take over their city (especially if giant tax incentives and subsidies are provided, which is a given)? Feels like it. It's fun to fantasize about your city getting the opportunity to build out 8M SF of new office space and add 50K employees within 10 years (every urbanist's dream, I'd think), but at what cost?

To me, this is like shooting heroin, but for urbanism.
Nope, you're not the only one. Some of us live in successful, mid-sized cities and would rather not see them turned into an Amazon company town, where we're forever beholden to them for gracing us with their presence. I fully expect your city, and mine, to put in competitive bids which will likely be rejected...and that's fine with me.

Let a larger city have them. I'm rooting for Chicago, myself, but could easily see one of the "cool" tryhard smaller cities landing them as well.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I will clarify my earlier post. Indeed, Austin is the leading contender, and there are a number of reasons why. First, it has a high-tech climate, 2nd, it has the U of Texas. 3rd, there is no sales tax. 4th, Jeff Bezos has a history in the area, 5th, it fits all criteria listed in their scouting report.

This decision, as I understand it, will not be soon as the company is still scouting other locations. However, mark my words, my prediction is, again, Austin.
I think Austin has a strong shot for sure. I think Austin misses the major airport and strong public transportation pieces that they are needing, however.

It's probably on their short list--but in the end, I think either Atlanta, Boston or dark horse like Minneapolis gets it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.