Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:08 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,848,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Those that decry the high COL of those cities forget that there are a lot of suburban options in both cities.

Stamford
White Plains
Bethesda
Columbia
Tyson's Corner
Rockville
Laurel

I rather like the idea of a "legacy" city getting this; Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Philadelphia.
Milwaukee is in Chicago's back yard, and just got Foxconn. Probably not likely, but perhaps a possibility.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Quote:
Those that decry the high COL of those cities forget that there are a lot of suburban options in both cities.

Stamford
White Plains
Bethesda
Columbia
Tyson's Corner
Rockville
Laurel

I rather like the idea of a "legacy" city getting this; Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Philadelphia.
Aren't those areas just as expensive?

Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Aren't those areas just as expensive?
They're not cheap, but not as prohibitive as the city centers.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:16 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,178,829 times
Quote:

Stamford
White Plains
Bethesda
Columbia
Tyson's Corner
Rockville
Laurel

I can appreciate that sentiment and Im sure Amazon does too, but I would personally pick a city that has greater stature than Seattle does. Otherwise what's the point?

The massive Hudson Yards development in Manhattan seems tailor made for this imo.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:22 PM

92,061 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I can appreciate that sentiment and Im sure Amazon does too, but I would personally pick a city that has greater stature than Seattle does. Otherwise what's the point?

The massive Hudson Yards development in Manhattan seems tailor made for this imo.
I think you are on to something: Live, Shop, Work & Dine in New York | Hudson Yards

Old 09-08-2017, 05:28 PM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Mexico City possibly? It will help Amazon expand more into the Latin American market
I'd love to see a recruiting scenario over that prospect.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:33 PM

511 posts, read 391,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Somewhere in the South. Better business climate, more in migration, lower cost of living/doing business.
That's Dallas!

Old 09-08-2017, 05:38 PM

492 posts, read 528,308 times
Atlanta has a fair chance. It is a transportation hub with a great airport. Cost of office space is cheap. Through Georgia Tech and Emory there is a really good college-educated base in and around Atlanta. It all depends on how aggressively the state of Georgia and the City of Atlanta want to pursue this deal. They were very successful in attracting Hollywood in the last few years.

I would say Chicago comes next.

Raleigh and Charlotte are good pics too but the state of North Carolina has tarnished it's reputation in the last few years and most of the West Coast CEOs have some beef with the state.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:28 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,178,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's massive and stunning ..and in Manhattan

Old 09-08-2017, 06:51 PM

830 posts, read 1,005,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
First rule to look for when a CEO is picking a new location for a HQ is to see where they own a home. You don't buy a $23M mansion with renovations as well in the city without plans to inhabit it at least part of the year. Also he owns the Washington Post. He has a long game here, as Amazon gets larger, he's going to have to deal with the federal government even more. Plus relocating here could help reposition the company politically. He's has aspirations to shape the political dialogue in this country and locating here could help.
This is one of the reasons I see DC region as a reasonable choice, and they don't necessarily have to be in the city proper:

- Being in or near the nation's capital has its own implicit benefits on the policy/legal front
- If NOVA, you get a liberal region that still benefits from the southern-style, competitive lower-cost and pro-business environment
- In MD, the Greenbelt area was all but ready for the new FBI HQ
- Transit, Office Space, Connectivity, Workforce; check, check, check
- An East Coast office that is favorable in being closer to European Offices; if Tysons, the underutilized Silver Line would directly connect to Dulles or DCA with round the clock air travel available to all points of the globe.
- Strong institutions of higher education nearby
- Bezos owns the Washington Post, like you mentioned
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centers based in NOVA, which is also powered by the Amazon Solar Farm US East in Accomack Co, VA; an existing partnership with Dominion Resources who recently announced an expansion with four new 20 MW solar farms in New Kent, Buckingham, Sussex, and Powhatan counties (Richmond area) and a 100 MW facility in Southampton County (Hampton Roads); in VA, Amazon purchases power from its own Solar Farms.
- Seattle and Washington compare favorably
- etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, I think I would like to see the project go to an urban place like Baltimore, but it's also hard to ignore DC has some unique existing advantages in existing infrastructure that make it particularly competitive. Even where it may fall short in certain business costs (which I think would make DC proper inhibitive), a state like VA and even MD will double down on incentives to get it done. There's a lot to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.