Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,495 times

Advertisements

Is Comcast really viewed as a "tech" company? I know it's a media and cable conglomerate, but does it also attain that profile? Regardless, having both Amazon and Comcast would be HUGE for Philadelphia. The metro would go from slow growth to a much higher pace very quickly due to the influx of workers and their families.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I never said CoL was not a factor, it clearly is. It is Bos/Tor challenges just as crime is to Chicago. It should also be noted that anyone wanting to live downtown {where the head office will probably be and where most educated & liberal professionals will want to be} the public schools are sub-standard to say the least These educated workers would want their children to enjoy superior education and in run down school districts that would mean private schools which greatly adds to the CoL.
LOL, these people are NOT sending their children to public schools! Maybe a few highly selective exam/gifted schools like Boston Latin School in Boston or Walter Payton in Chicago. My parents were dirt poor immigrants and still scraped together the coin to put my in private elementary school (and I was fortunate enough to test into the exam schools in Boston so dodged all the "bullets"). If these people's children can't test their way into a top, urban school then they will for sure be going to a well regarded charter or private school. Heck, someone may create a new charter/private school just to cater to all the Amazon Techie Jrs. regardless of which city they ended up in.

Fact of the matter is, schools shouldn't even be brought up as a factor. Most urban centers do not have highly regarded public schools ("white flight"+suburban sprawl=neglected urban schools in most cases). Private schools will almost be a given, otherwise you'll have another issue of all the Amazon Techie Jrs. grabbing up selective seats that could've gone to some other local kid. This is already an ongoing issue in Boston where wealthy and/or well connected parents fudge residency records to get their kid a seat at Boston Latin while they still live in 'burbs. Private schooling will become a factor with all of these city options, unless the workers consider the 'burbs, which goes back to the problems with traffic and the point of even having access to public transportation.

Last edited by eevee; 09-18-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
LOL, these people are NOT sending their children to public schools! Maybe a few highly selective exam/gifted schools like Boston Latin School in Boston or Walter Payton in Chicago. My parents were dirt poor immigrants and still scraped together the coin to put my in private elementary school (and I was fortunate enough to test into the exam schools in Boston so dodged all the "bullets"). If these people's children can't test their way into a top, urban school then they will for sure be going to a well regarded charter or private school. Heck, someone may create a new charter/private school just to cater to all the Amazon Techie Jrs. regardless of which city they ended up in.

Fact of the matter is, schools shouldn't even be brought up as a factor. Most urban centers do not have highly regarded public schools ("white flight"+suburban sprawl=neglected urban schools in most cases). Private schools will almost be a given, otherwise you'll have another issue of all the Amazon Techie Jrs. grabbing up selective seats that could've gone to some other local kid. This is already an ongoing issue in Boston where wealthy and/or well connected parents fudge residency records to get their kid a seat at Boston Latin while they still live in 'burbs. Private schooling will become a factor with all of these city options, unless the workers consider the 'burbs, which goes back to the problems with traffic and the point of even having access to public transportation.
most amazon and msft employees send their kids to publics in the seattle area.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yeah Amazon is not reading city data to help make their decision. This is all for fun.
Or are they? Wouldn't count that out as this company has many departments and wouldn't be surprised if they did monitor social media.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Did the school build up around this population? Did these schools experience the same type of disenfranchisement and decay as many East Coast/Midwest urban schools did over the decades? I don't know if you could even compare the Boston Public Schools system to Seattle Public Schools system, but then again, I admittedly know little about the latter. I do know that even with the influx of people moving into the cities, public schools, especially highly segregated ones (and most highly urban schools tend to be so), are still floundering. With Chicago, it would mean cramming even more families into coveted North Side neighborhoods where public schools are packed, but more well regarded (and then praying your kid tests into a selective school). With Boston, it mainly means relying on private or charter schools, unless Boston Public Elementary schools have greatly changed since I last encountered them. Honestly, I'm trying to rack my brain thinking about how my siblings have schooled their kids to use them as an example and as far I can tell, all my nieces and nephews are in either a private school or a charter school, so I admit my info may be faulty/outdated.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Or are they? Wouldn't count that out as this company has many departments and wouldn't be surprised if they did monitor social media.
And, posters with biased comments for their city/against other cities, would help them make their decision?

Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
And, posters with biased comments for their city/against other cities, would help them make their decision?
Of course not. My only point is I wouldn't be surprised if they "monitor" sites like this just to get a general opinion. Huge companies constantly do research, and that can come in many forms, with information either used or discarded. The idea that Amazon would choose Chicago (current leader on this city-data poll) based on that is ludicrous.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-18-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 PM

149 posts, read 182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
C'mon Clayton! I have a Breeze card and have probably rode Marta close to 50 times over the last decade. It's a terrible system! You probably read primaltech's recent experience riding Marta from the airport and I've experienced the same many, many times! Being the only white guy on the platform, having some sketchy black dude roaming the cars begging for money with no security to be seen, etc.

Do the kids enjoy the urine aroma wafting through the elevators/station too? > Doraville MARTA station is gross
Oh look, another racist.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
In the city or the suburbs?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
Oh look, another racist.
No, just your garden variety douche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.