Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:08 PM

499 posts, read 664,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What does that have to do with DC being paired with Nova?
You said metro, and Maryland is part of that metro is it not?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,384,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Why do you guys always pair nova/DC as if nova is synonymous with DC? They couldnt be more far apart in development patterns. D.C. is urban while 99% of nova is a soulless suburb void of culture and character which is what Amazon stated they want in their RFP.

There's also a place called Maryland which actually gave the land for our Nations capital that has far more places that are urban with character than nova in the D.C. area (Montgomery, Prince George's) and Baltimore area.
For a place so soulless, it's amazing how many millennials are flocking there. And what you're saying is Arlington + Alexandria + Falls Church + Fairfax = 1%? That math adds up. Arlington/Tysons/Reston is more than capable of handling what Amazon wants. I personally like the idea of a DC/Baltimore partnership, but lol you guys sure are taking this whole thing way too seriously.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
For a place so soulless, it's amazing how many millennials are flocking there. And what you're saying is Arlington + Alexandria + Falls Church + Fairfax = 1%? That math adds up. Arlington/Tysons/Reston is more than capable of handling what Amazon wants. I personally like the idea of a DC/Baltimore partnership, but lol you guys sure are taking this whole thing way too seriously.
Lol you really threw in Fairfax as 1% of urbanity lol? the posterchild for suburban sprawl? Like I said like 1%

Old 09-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,026 posts, read 7,414,618 times
Quote:
NOVA is the booming envy (with regards to business) of the entire Washington-Baltimore region, soulless and all. It also has 2 major airports to contribute with multiple metro lines. Amazon is looking for a campus, not sure how "urban" they want that campus to be, it's up to them.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,384,440 times
Quote:
Lol you really threw in Fairfax as 1% of urbanity lol? the posterchild for suburban sprawl? Like I said like 1%
Yes, conveniently ignore everything else. Confused as to what makes Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Baltimore Co, or PGC have more "flavor" and "culture" as opposed to the VA side, but who cares.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8460...7i13312!8i6656

Good thing Amazon doesnt care what your insecure opinion is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
NOVA is the booming envy (with regards to business) of the entire Washington-Baltimore region, soulless and all. It also has 2 major airports to contribute with multiple metro lines. Amazon is looking for a campus, not sure how "urban" they want that campus to be, it's up to them.
Yeah I'm sure. I don't think Nova is soulless, but it doesnt matter. Amazon will go where they go. The Earth will continue to orbit. Not sure why everyone is so uptight.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:01 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,379,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
campus implies sprawl. They may or may not want that.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, conveniently ignore everything else. Confused as to what makes Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Baltimore Co, or PGC have more "flavor" and "culture" as opposed to the VA side, but who cares.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8460...7i13312!8i6656

Good thing Amazon doesnt care what your insecure opinion is.

Yeah I'm sure. I don't think Nova is soulless, but it doesnt matter. Amazon will go where they go. The Earth will continue to orbit. Not sure why everyone is so uptight.
Every was dismissed when you added Fairfax. If I had known you were talking about places like part of fairfax city I would have added Frederick, https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4141...7i13312!8i6656

Or Kensignton, Takoma Park or Upper Marlboro

There's just more places with character on the Maryland side, that's just the truth but that aside its just silly when people, including the politicians, say this is one big happy region on one side of their mouth but on the other side will only mention nova/dc as it pertains to the DC area. Maryland has the largest publicly traded company in the area (not gonna count some quasi government agency) and the largest University in the area that's spun out the likes of those who started Google. Maryland companies pretty much built all significant areas in dc and nova anyways.

Better Maryland D.C. and virginia act like separate areas and make it clear if things like this persist. As long as they dont merge under one government I dont see how it would ever work 100% as one collective region anyways

Old 09-21-2017, 03:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,662,451 times
Quote:
Every was dismissed when you added Fairfax. If I had known you were talking about places like part of fairfax city I would have added Frederick, https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4141...7i13312!8i6656

Or Kensignton, Takoma Park or Upper Marlboro

There's just more places with character on the Maryland side, that's just the truth but that aside its just silly when people, including the politicians, say this is one big happy region on one side of their mouth but on the other side will only mention nova/dc as it pertains to the DC area. Maryland has the largest publicly traded company in the area (not gonna count some quasi government agency) and the largest University in the area that's spun out the likes of those who started Google. Maryland companies pretty much built all significant areas in dc and nova anyways.

Better Maryland D.C. and virginia act like separate areas and make it clear if things like this persist. As long as they dont merge under one government I dont see how it would ever work 100% as one collective region anyways
I think people mention Nova more then the MD side because it has the largest amount of fortune 500 companies and also is the largest employment base in the region. There's no animosity between the two sides of DC like the way you're portraying it.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,853,354 times
Baltimore has the land and the infrastructure for the Amazon campus, right now. It will take away from Port Covingtons acrage, but Under Amour's development company is fine with that.

It would benefit the Baltimore region greatly.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 09-21-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,081,661 times
I can see Atlanta getting it.

Reasonable cost of living, mega airport, growing economy, plenty of land etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.